Compromise of Arrears Program (COAP) in California

Old April 27th 08, 02:11 PM posted to alt.child-support
TNK

Default Compromise of Arrears Program (COAP) in California

Anybody have experience with the Compromise of Arrears Program in
California?

http://www.childsup.ca.gov/ChildSupp...3/Default.aspx

There are additional links on the page.

For example:
I am 55 years old, "owe" more than $50,000 in arrears. I have a court order
from December 2007 to pay $100 a month toward arrears in a wage garnishment.
I now have physical custody since August 2007 of three minor children - 17,
15, 13 - in PA. The original case where the support was filed is California
in late 1997.

I am looking for a way to clear the credit reports so I can get the 17 year
old to college. Most of the loans I apply for are being turned down because
of this.

Just looking for opinions or experience, personal or professional.

TNK

Old April 28th 08, 03:18 AM posted to alt.child-support
DB[_4_]

"TNK" wrote in

Just looking for opinions or experience, personal or professional.

Justa thought, can your child not apply for student loans as your income
isn't high enough with the debt load?

Old April 30th 08, 12:15 AM posted to alt.child-support
TNK

"DB" wrote in message

"TNK" wrote in

Just looking for opinions or experience, personal or professional.

Justa thought, can your child not apply for student loans as your income
isn't high enough with the debt load?

Tried that also. Although she is working part time, is an honor roll
student, and takes all the Advanced classes in Physics, Chemistry and
Calculus, the bank still shy away because she is under 18 and a short
employment history. Even when I was going to co-sign the loan application.
I have no assets, only debt. I was the NCP for 12 years. Getting a student
loan is almost as difficult as a mortgage, it seems.

Old April 30th 08, 01:06 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"TNK" wrote in message
. ..

"DB" wrote in message

"TNK" wrote in

Just looking for opinions or experience, personal or professional.

Justa thought, can your child not apply for student loans as your income
isn't high enough with the debt load?

Tried that also. Although she is working part time, is an honor roll
student, and takes all the Advanced classes in Physics, Chemistry and
Calculus, the bank still shy away because she is under 18 and a short
employment history. Even when I was going to co-sign the loan
application. I have no assets, only debt. I was the NCP for 12 years.
Getting a student loan is almost as difficult as a mortgage, it seems.

Go to the U.S. Department of Education website and look at the information
on FAFSA. She should easily qualify for a government subsidized student
loan which she doesn't have to pay towards until after graduation and you
can get a low interest Parent Loan to cover what she can't borrow. CS paid
is considered a reduction from income and CS received is an addition to
income.

Old May 1st 08, 10:42 PM posted to alt.child-support
TNK

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message

"TNK" wrote in message
. ..

"DB" wrote in message

"TNK" wrote in

[...]

I did the FAFSA thing too.

I was hoping the COAP would be the answer, as long as I could come up with
an agreed lump sum amount . I am still fighting to get the NCP off my name,
as I am clearly the CP at this time, and have been since August 2007. I
call the DCSS and tell them by the definition of their own forms I am the
custodial parent, yet alone the court order stating so also. My credit
report was stating I owe almost $2,000 a month in ongoing support, when I
have a court order stating different. I know this takes time, but it is
ridiculous even when you have the facts.

TNK

Old May 2nd 08, 04:08 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"TNK" wrote in message
. ..

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message

"TNK" wrote in message
. ..

"DB" wrote in message

"TNK" wrote in

[...]

Why don't you discuss your case with this person who is identified easily in
a Google search:

The contact is Laura Choate, DCSS, COAP Unit Manager, at 916-464-5881.

No one here can help you. Only Ms. Choate can help determine if you meet
the specific criteria for COAP.

Old May 4th 10, 04:54 AM
Thomas Paine Thomas Paine is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Whiteside View Post
"TNK" wrote in message
. ..

"Bob Whiteside"
wrote in message

"TNK"
wrote in message
. ..

"DB"
wrote in message

"TNK"
wrote in

[...]

Since you were not always the custodial parent you must first close the origanl court order. The money you owed to other parent needs to be paid off. It does not go away just because you now have custody. It is assume by law that the money was needed and you must pay it. However, after you pay off that money you can use the COAP program of California to rid the interest and money owed to the state ( if any ). feel free to email me.
good luck
Old March 22nd 11, 07:30 AM
nike10kelen nike10kelen is offline
Banned