California Arrears

Old August 1st 04, 11:36 PM
Jim Winters

Default California Arrears

Hi all,

Been a while. Anyway, the kids for which I paid CS through the Fresno County
DA (actually paying back AFDC given to mother who was a professional welfare
collector) are now grown and on their own. No more CS to pay. However, there
were times that I was on State Disability where there was no way I could
ever pay the total obligations based on 25% deductions from my State
Disability. My obligation was $1150 per month, I made about $1200 per month
in disability of which 25% ($400) was deducted and sent to Fresno for CS,
leaving a balance due each month of $850 per month! I was severly disabled
twice for a period of a year both times, making me unable to pay in full for
24 months casuing an arrears of about $20,000! I of course, have always paid
when I could without question, but now I am paying only arears with interest
at 10%! That $20,000 combines with interest has made my obligations
skyrocket tot he point that I will be paying the rest of my life. I have
asked Fresno to take a look at this and they state that there is nothing
retroactively that can be done. I have also asked if there can be a
settlement whereby I could pay part or all of the principal arears at one
and dismiss the interest, I received an mphatic NO!!

ANy suggestions for somone who is not a deadbeat at all, has always paid but
just ended up being the victum of being disabled and unable to work?

(For those that might queston, one disability was due to a severe heart
attack and surgery, the other was due to severly fractured vertabrae in my
back, both of which kept mne down for a year, but not so much to keep me
permantly down so that I could go back to work)

--

Jim Winters
VP Sales and Marketing/Webmaster
Quality Trading, Inc.
www.QualityTrading.com - Gateway to Quality Products
www.FrisbeeSuperStore.com - Your Frisbee Super Store
www.QualityRecreation.com - Wham-O Products Only!
www.QualityInflatables.com - Swimming Pools, Inflatable Toys and more!
www.OurCampSite.com - Tents and Camping Gear
www.WaveBlasters.com - BZ and Morey Bodyboards and Accessories
www.PortableBeds.com - The BEST in inflatable Air Beds
www.TheNowSet.com - Sea-Doo Ski Tubes and Islands
www.ReboundNets.com - Rebound Training Nets and Goals
www.ButterflyChairs.com - The Classic Butterfly Chair is Back!
www.BoardBlasters.com - Skateboards and Accessories
www.SnowSpeeders.com - Snowboards, sleds, toboggans and mnore!

Old August 1st 04, 11:41 PM
Bob

Jim Winters wrote:
That $20,000 combines with interest has made my obligations
skyrocket tot he point that I will be paying the rest of my life.

It could have been only for the rest of her life if you had listened to
Bob.

(For those that might queston, one disability was due to a severe heart
attack and surgery, the other was due to severly fractured vertabrae in my
back, both of which kept mne down for a year, but not so much to keep me
permantly down so that I could go back to work)

The good news is that "for the rest of your life" isn't likely to be
paying for very long.

Bob

--

When did we divide into sides?

"As president, I will put American government and our legal system back
on the side of women." John Kerry, misandrist Democratic candidate for
President. http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/women/

[Bob does not advocate any illegal, seditious, or immoral acts. All
posts are for discussion, rhetorical, or humorous purposes only.]

Old August 2nd 04, 12:22 AM
AZ Astrea

"Jim Winters" wrote in message
news
[...]

-------------
I know in Washington state that if the money is owed to the state that they
can make deals. Like if you offer to pay them a lump sum they can accept
that as payment in full. I'm not sure what the requirements are. I don't
know if CA has anything similar but they probably do.

~AZ~

Old August 5th 04, 08:48 AM
witchwirsen

"Jim Winters" wrote in message y.com...
[...]

It is my understanding (and of course, I could be totally wrong and/or
misunderstanding) that if you do not pay any current child support,
but you owe back child support, you can file bankruptcy and set up a
repayment plan that would allow you to pay an affordable amount.
It is my understanding that your wages will no longer be garnished and
your taxes will no longer be taken if you file bankruptcy.
Call an attorney and ask, can't hurt.
Old August 6th 04, 09:12 AM
AZ Astrea

"witchwirsen" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Bankruptcy will do absolutely nothing for child support. Arrears or
otherwise. The only one who can do anything for you is your ex, (if she
were to forgive the debt). If you owe the money to the state for when the
ex was on welfare then you can negotiate with them to forgive the debt,
altogether or in part or to allow you to pay a lesser amount each month. I
should say they are allowed to do this, not that they do.

~AZ~