Hooked on Phonics thoughts?

Old October 21st 03, 09:54 PM
Shell

Default Hooked on Phonics thoughts?

I just purchased the Learn to Read program. Does anyone have it? What do
you think? Has anyone heard anything about it?

~Shell

Old October 21st 03, 10:16 PM
gale

"Shell" wrote in message
. net...
I just purchased the Learn to Read program. Does anyone have it? What do
you think? Has anyone heard anything about it?

We tried the hooked on phonics program when DS was 4-5 and it was not
successful. We tried the Phonics Game slightly later 4.5-5.5 and found it
to be wildly successful - mainly because DS like it better. The game
playing aspect was much more enjoyable to him than the more formalized
program of the HOP. I suspect, however, that the computerized version might
meet with similar enthusiasm, at least with him. So, from my study of one
I would conclude that it depends on the kid and how the parent presents it
to the kid.

-A

Old October 22nd 03, 01:59 AM
H Schinske

"Shell" wrote in message
.net...
I just purchased the Learn to Read program. Does anyone have it? What do
you think? Has anyone heard anything about it?

I used the Bob Books to teach my then four-year-old son, and I found they
fitted my style better than a more formal kind of phonics. The Bob Books are
step-by-step readers that sort of imply phonics along the way by using very
limited sounds and increasing them gradually and logically as the child can
handle it. There are lots of little tiny books so that the child gets a lot of
"I read the WHOLE BOOK!" feelings.

Your kids are still pretty young, right? My take on teaching kids to read
before school is that it's not a good idea unless they're so ready that it is
very, very easy. Otherwise you are facing developmental stuff. It can so easily
happen that a clever but undeveloped child can learn a little bit, but then get
stuck in that frustrating sounding-out phase for way too long, and it really
puts them off.

--Helen
Old October 22nd 03, 06:25 AM
P. Tierney

"Shell" wrote in message
. net...
I just purchased the Learn to Read program. Does anyone have it? What do
you think? Has anyone heard anything about it?

Didn't you hear anything about it before you bought it?

P. Tierney

Old October 22nd 03, 08:16 AM
Byron Canfield

"Shell" wrote in message
. net...
I just purchased the Learn to Read program. Does anyone have it? What do
you think? Has anyone heard anything about it?

~Shell

You could also try the on-line reading program from Headsprout
(http://www.headsprout.com). It's a try before you buy kinda thing -- your
child can do the first three episodes (four, if you count the mouse
training) free. Then, if it looks like it's working, you can make the
decision whether to purchase.

--
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
those who understand binary numbers and those who don't."

Old October 22nd 03, 07:47 PM
HCN

"Shell" wrote in message
. net...
I just purchased the Learn to Read program. Does anyone have it? What do
you think? Has anyone heard anything about it?

Your best bet is to walk into any used book store and buy books. Then take
these books and read them ALOUD to your kids. Have them next to you as you
read... talk about the book. Say the sounds.

Some of the best (at least in our house) were the ones like "Mr. Brown Can
Say Moo, Can You?"... or the Berenstein Bear books... and of course ANYTHING
by Dr. Seuss (like "On Beyond Zebra"). We read "The Diggingest Dog" so much
that both parents had it memorized.

Also, some used bookstores sell used software. We bought Bailey's Book
House (by Edmark, a company that was into reading programs BEFORE
computers... but had some very bad management and was bought out) at
HalfPrice Books for less than $10. We also bought used versions of Reader
Rabbit. These were all popular in our house... but NOT as popular as
reading aloud.

ALSO... visit your local library. You can check out all sorts of wonderful
children's books for FREE!!! You can also often check out software. We
have a speech/language disordered child who is not altogether happy that he
is satisifying his foreign language requirement in high school with ASL (his
first expressive language). He wanted to take Japanese (due to the fact
that the teacher in middle school was very popular). So his mom checked out
a Japanese Language Instruction CD from the library and made him go through
some of the lessons. He is not so keen on learning multiple alphabets nor
another spoken language anymore.

Also (and I am not affiliated) my local independent children's books store
has been promoting an author by the name of Esme Raji Codell and her book on
kids and reading: "How to Get Your Child to Love Reading"

Old October 22nd 03, 07:47 PM
HCN

"Shell" wrote in message
. net...
I just purchased the Learn to Read program. Does anyone have it? What do
you think? Has anyone heard anything about it?

Your best bet is to walk into any used book store and buy books. Then take
these books and read them ALOUD to your kids. Have them next to you as you
read... talk about the book. Say the sounds.

Some of the best (at least in our house) were the ones like "Mr. Brown Can
Say Moo, Can You?"... or the Berenstein Bear books... and of course ANYTHING
by Dr. Seuss (like "On Beyond Zebra"). We read "The Diggingest Dog" so much
that both parents had it memorized.

Also, some used bookstores sell used software. We bought Bailey's Book
House (by Edmark, a company that was into reading programs BEFORE
computers) at HalfPrice Books for less than $10. We also bought used
versions of Reader
Rabbit (which was easier and simpler than buying from The Learning Company
directly... something we only did ONCE). These were all popular in our
house... and definitely cheaper than those expensive programs that are
advertized so often.

A check on www.amazon.com for "children's reading" software shows a list of
over 80 titles... most of them are much cheaper than the heavily advertized
ones --- and they often include reviews.

ALSO... visit your local library. You can check out all sorts of wonderful
children's books for FREE!!! You can also often check out software. Your
library may even have one of those often touted reading programs available.
So you can try them for the 2 to 3 week library checkout period before
putting down lots of cash (though I have seen used systems for sale).

Old October 26th 03, 05:35 PM
Shell

"H Schinske" wrote in message
"Shell" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

My son is 3 and step-daughter is turning 5. Both are learning how to spell
in daycare/preschool and are thrilled about it. I was reading a book to my
step-daughter the other day and she pointed out the word "dance" on
everypage. She was so excited to be able to read the word "dance." My son
joined in and was spelling it out loud.

They're both very excited about reading, spelling and recognizing words. I
wanted something to encourage that.

~Shell

Old October 26th 03, 05:36 PM
Shell

"P. Tierney" wrote in message

"Shell" wrote in message
. net...
I just purchased the Learn to Read program. Does anyone have it? What

do
you think? Has anyone heard anything about it?

Didn't you hear anything about it before you bought it?

Other than commercials? No, I haven't. I do not know anyone that has tried
it personally.

~Shell

Old October 26th 03, 05:36 PM
Shell

"Byron Canfield" wrote in message
"Shell" wrote in message
. net...
I just purchased the Learn to Read program. Does anyone have it? What

do
you think? Has anyone heard anything about it?

~Shell

You could also try the on-line reading program from Headsprout
(http://www.headsprout.com). It's a try before you buy kinda thing -- your
child can do the first three episodes (four, if you count the mouse
training) free. Then, if it looks like it's working, you can make the
decision whether to purchase.

Great. Thanks!

~Shell