Fetal growth chart

Old June 14th 04, 04:52 PM
ted

Default Fetal growth chart

Does anyone have a url for fetal growth chart? What I'm looking for is
the bell curve or some other kind of chart that gives you percentile
growth of the fetus by the gestation week. I want to know what the
doctors are refering to when they say the baby is in the nth
percentile for weight, height etc.

Thanks.
Old June 14th 04, 05:52 PM
Dally

ted wrote:

Does anyone have a url for fetal growth chart? What I'm looking for is
the bell curve or some other kind of chart that gives you percentile
growth of the fetus by the gestation week. I want to know what the
doctors are refering to when they say the baby is in the nth
percentile for weight, height etc.

This is a really scary question. MUST you be so quantified? Can't you
be more fuzzy, as in, "the baby seems small, let's check for problems"
or "the baby seems large, let's check for problems"?

This is a slippery slope you're going down, on a quest for normal. I'd
stop right now if I were you.

Dally, mother to three unique people

Old June 14th 04, 06:42 PM
jacquel

"ted" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone have a url for fetal growth chart? What I'm looking for is
the bell curve or some other kind of chart that gives you percentile
growth of the fetus by the gestation week. I want to know what the
doctors are refering to when they say the baby is in the nth
percentile for weight, height etc.

Thanks.

Gosh - shouldn't the doctors supply you with that? I mean if they are going
to use the statistics, wouldn't they have the source for back up? I would
much prefer to get my data from doctors [who presumably have access to the
data] than from an unverified website.

jacquel
- BSc [Statistics] ;-)

Old June 14th 04, 06:47 PM
toypup

"ted" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone have a url for fetal growth chart? What I'm looking for is
the bell curve or some other kind of chart that gives you percentile
growth of the fetus by the gestation week. I want to know what the
doctors are refering to when they say the baby is in the nth
percentile for weight, height etc.

Do the docs tell you that? My docs never told me anything about what
percentile my babies were in until they were born.

Old June 14th 04, 07:37 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

ted wrote:

Does anyone have a url for fetal growth chart? What I'm looking for is
the bell curve or some other kind of chart that gives you percentile
growth of the fetus by the gestation week.

For weight, there's one he http://www.ivfer.com/pg_calc.htm (scroll
down). FWIW, I've never seen a non-weight pre-birth measurement that
was in percentiles; I've always seen the measurements expressed as weeks
(meaning you'd be 50th percentile for that week). Plus or minus one
week isn't unusual in the first trimester, plus or minus 2 weeks in the
second, plus or minus 3 weeks in the third.

Do bear in mind that being high (or low) on the charts doesn't
necessarily mean *anything* about the baby's well-being, and that
ultrasound measurements can be quite inaccurate, depending on the
quality of the machine, the abilities of the sonographer, and whether
the sonographer's goal is to get the 100% most accurate measurement or a
good enough measurement.

Phoebe

Old June 14th 04, 09:04 PM
Tori M.

I almost always new what percentile my daughter was in before she was born
because she was dropping in percentiles before she was born. If she had
dropped bellow the 9th % I would have been induced.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04
"toypup" wrote in message

om...

Old June 16th 04, 01:36 AM
0tterbot

"toypup" wrote in message
> [...]

"ted" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone have a url for fetal growth chart? What I'm looking for is
the bell curve or some other kind of chart that gives you percentile
growth of the fetus by the gestation week. I want to know what the
doctors are refering to when they say the baby is in the nth
percentile for weight, height etc.

Do the docs tell you that? My docs never told me anything about what
percentile my babies were in until they were born.

that's because there's no way to tell reliably until they are born. i can't
imagine a responsible person even bringing that up(!)
kylie

Old June 16th 04, 01:42 AM
Tori M.

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"toypup" wrote in message
> [...]

"ted" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone have a url for fetal growth chart? What I'm looking for is
the bell curve or some other kind of chart that gives you percentile
growth of the fetus by the gestation week. I want to know what the
doctors are refering to when they say the baby is in the nth
percentile for weight, height etc.

Do the docs tell you that? My docs never told me anything about what
percentile my babies were in until they were born.

that's because there's no way to tell reliably until they are born. i

can't
imagine a responsible person even bringing that up(!)
kylie

I wish you were my Dr! I followed Bonnies growth curve while I was pregnant
with her that I still have a hard time not wanting to put weight on her!
Now I just know that she will be about 10% of the growth curve and try not
to worry about it... yeah right. I had 8 ultra sounds with Bonnie and I
have had 3 already with #2.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 16th 04, 12:04 PM
0tterbot

"Tori M." wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message
"toypup" wrote in message
> [...]

"ted" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone have a url for fetal growth chart? What I'm looking for

is
the bell curve or some other kind of chart that gives you percentile
growth of the fetus by the gestation week. I want to know what the
doctors are refering to when they say the baby is in the nth
percentile for weight, height etc.

Do the docs tell you that? My docs never told me anything about what
percentile my babies were in until they were born.

that's because there's no way to tell reliably until they are born. i

can't
imagine a responsible person even bringing that up(!)
kylie

I wish you were my Dr!

well, any time you want a completely unqualified doctor, let me know ;-)

I followed Bonnies growth curve while I was pregnant
with her that I still have a hard time not wanting to put weight on her!
Now I just know that she will be about 10% of the growth curve and try not
to worry about it... yeah right. I had 8 ultra sounds with Bonnie and I
have had 3 already with #2.

is this being suggested to you for any reason? if there's no compelling
reason, don't have them - there's nothing they can tell you beyond what you
probably already know.

afaik, up to a certain point in pregnancy (iirc the 3rd month or so) foetal
size (but not development - they will develop at their own pace whether we
want them to or not) is a good indicator of the gestation week. after the
foetus reaches a certain age, the size estimated by ultrasound is
meaningless. estimating the size of a near full-term foetus by ultrasound is
particularly unreliable & there's simply no point.
kylie

Old June 16th 04, 03:56 PM
Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang

"Tori M." wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message
"toypup" wrote in message
> [...]

"ted" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Is there a medical reason for all the ultrasounds? I thought the prevailing
wisdom was to limit the ultrasounds.

What's wrong with being at 10 percentile? I'm asking because I was
always at the very low end of the weight chart but above average for height
growing up and it made me nervous that my mother and doctor were nervous.

I also thought it was very difficult to predict birth weights. If it is,
then how can doctors get a reliable measure of fetal weight over the
pregnancy?

Jeanne

concerned about growth Erin General 29 January 30th 04 02:03 AM
Growth Questions Denise General 1 September 17th 03 03:42 AM
Growth and Basketball Frisbee® MCNGP General 1 August 30th 03 10:14 AM
Denver Developmental Chart toto General 4 August 19th 03 07:23 AM
Brain Growth, Head Circumference, and Autism Circe General 3 July 17th 03 10:00 PM