Bill Cosby - NAACP leaders stunned by remarks of prominent comedian

Old June 4th 04, 10:29 AM

Bob LeChevalier wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 13:38:45 -0400, Bob LeChevalier

Reading and writing were invented by whites and Asians.

Really? Got any names?

Guess those people in Upper Egypt weren't reading and writing.

South of the Sahara they were running around chasing wildebeest, etc.

What do you think they were doing in Northern Europe in 3000 BC?

Applying their superior IQ: logistical planning for winter,
e.g., storing food, firewood...
firewood, building
Old June 4th 04, 10:54 AM

Bob LeChevalier wrote:

Spelling is convention. The Founders of the United States did not pay
much attention to how things were spelled. Shakespeare was even less
consistent - he spelled his name several different ways. Are you
going to say that Shakespeare had trouble with language?

Aboslutely. This is one of my pet peeves with HS/college "English"
classes: all the time that is squandered discussing what Shakespeare
(or other "greats") *Really_Meant* by e.g. some verse in some
sonnet.

Let's take one of your favorites, Bob. "All men are created equal..."
How would Shakespeare have written *that*? Some vague flowery
ambiguous fuzzy wording WTF-did-he-really-say statement ???

Shakespeare did *NOT* have a command of the language; his brain was
something akin to a random word generator.

The best "command of the language" is in Supreme Court decisions.
The precision and clarity is awesome. You may not always agree
with what the justices say, but you certainly have no doubt whatsoever
what the justices were thinking and meant, even if it'z wrong.....
Old June 4th 04, 12:29 PM
Fletch F. Fletch

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:54:32 -0700, "Circe" wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:
Written language began about 3,000 years ago.

Wrong again, BTW.

"Nothing that we can call writing, however, evolved before about 3000
B.C. In other words, spoken human language seems to have been around
from at least 30,000 - 50,000 years before writing was invented."

You finally got something a little bit right.

Chuckle. Best defense is a good offense, I guess. Say uncle. You are
looking increasingly silly.

Slainte,
Fletch

Old June 4th 04, 12:34 PM
Fletch F. Fletch

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 03:45:22 GMT, "R. Steve Walz"
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:33:07 -0700, "Circe"
wrote:

Um, are you suggesting that Greek was the first language to have
vowels in it?

I'm not suggesting it but saying that it was.

Holger

-------------------
You need a course in linguistics - written vowels were merely written
first by the Indians and Greeks, and before that written language was
merely a form of consonantal shorthand for speech. It doesn't mean
people didn't SAY the vowels!!!
Steve

Eureka!!!!!!!!!!!! There you go!!!!!!!!!! The Greeks were the first
to put the vowels in the alphabet!!!!! You finally got it!!!!!!!

Yet another tread-worn forensic device: declare victory while being
slaughtered.

But did you finally get the idea that the conclusions you were drawing were
based on a complete misunderstanding of this whole subject?

Slainte,
Fletch

Old June 4th 04, 03:41 PM
Bob LeChevalier

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:29:45 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:
Holger Dansk wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 13:38:45 -0400, Bob LeChevalier

Reading and writing were invented by whites and Asians.

Really? Got any names?

Guess those people in Upper Egypt weren't reading and writing.

South of the Sahara they were running around chasing wildebeest, etc.

What do you think they were doing in Northern Europe in 3000 BC?

Well, in about 2560 BC, north of the Sahara, (We were talking about
Africa, not northern Europe.)

You were talking about "whites and Asians". I want to know what you
think all the rest of the whites and Asians were doing while the Copts
(who were mixed race and possibly black, but were certainly NOT
"Caucasian" or "Aryan" or "Indo-European" which are common alternative
names for "whites") were doing their thing.

lojbab
--
lojbab
Bob LeChevalier, Founder, The Logical Language Group
Old June 4th 04, 03:54 PM
Bob LeChevalier

Holger Dansk wrote:
You see, it says that the Greeks added vowels.

TO THE ALPHABET.

NOT to the language.

The language was written with the alphabet.

So? The language had vowels before the alphabet did. Ppl rd th txt
lk ths. Or rather, because they didn't use spaces: Pplrdthtxtlkths.
You will note that if you attempt to read that sequence of syllables
aloud, it is understandable.

We are talking about vowels in the alphabet, not grunting sounds and
screeches that people made.

Maybe that is what YOU are talking about now, but you originally
talked about adding vowels to the LANGUAGE, which exists whether or
not there is an alphabet.

But the words of the language are written with an alphabet, and the
Greeks added vowels to theirs.

So? As exemplified above, they did not HAVE to. It made reading
easier, but it was not a change to the language.

lojbab