Psychiatrist's comments in front of son

Old March 23rd 08, 03:34 PM posted to misc.kids.health
J[_4_]

Default Psychiatrist's comments in front of son

Hello,
I have a question to pose to the group to see if I'm overreacting.

I'll cut to the chase and ask : is it appropriate for a psychiatrist
to talk about killing oneself, suicidal thoughts in front of a a 7
year old, who has not shown any real signs of depression, never talks
about killing or hurting himself?

My 7 year old is definitely wired differently.
We have had behavior problems since a very early age. Tantrums,
defiance, throwing things, socially challenged at making and keeping
friends, etc. He may very well be depressed, but if so, all parties,
include the Dr's involved agree that it is minimal.

We have been going to a psychologist for a 3 months without much
success at changing his behavior. At these sessions, it was very hard
to talk about, in front of my son, some of the issues he is having.
We tried to emphacize to him that this was 'family counseling' to help
us all get along better, and tried to avoid placing any more pressure
or to stigmatize him regarding his behavior.

The psychologist suggested that drugs may be a solution and so made an
appointment with the psychiatrist in his group. My son had seen this
psychiatrist once before, and she had seen no reason at that time to
put him on meds. My wife and I decided that we would see the
psychiatrist and all 3 of us went to the appointment. My wife and I
had decided that she would go in first alone to talk about some of the
more sensitive subject matter.
The psychiatrist insisted that we all come in together, so we
relunctantly went in together. After reviewing the notes of the
psychologist, she mentioned that maybe Prozac would help my son. She
explained the side effects and mentioned the small percentage of
patients who "experience suicidal thoughts", but she reassured us that
"no patient actually killed themself". I was shocked and outraged
that she would even mention this subject in front of my son.
Certainly she has to mention it to us, but I would think in private.
Am I overreacting?
Old March 23rd 08, 09:44 PM posted to misc.kids.health
Jeff

Default Psyiatrist's comments in front of son

J wrote:

The psychiatrist insisted that we all come in together, so we
relunctantly went in together. After reviewing the notes of the
psychologist, she mentioned that maybe Prozac would help my son. She
explained the side effects and mentioned the small percentage of
patients who "experience suicidal thoughts", but she reassured us that
"no patient actually killed themself". I was shocked and outraged
that she would even mention this subject in front of my son.
Certainly she has to mention it to us, but I would think in private.
Am I overreacting?

Without actually being there, it is hard to say. But it sounds like what
the psychiatrist did was appropriate. It is important that the child
know that suicidal thoughts may occur. She should have said something
like, "And if you have any suicidal thoughts, please tell your mom or
dad right away," as well.

The fact is that taking psychiatric drugs is not without risk,
especially when one is that young. He needs to understand the risks and
what to do if they have a side effect.

Jeff
Old March 24th 08, 12:47 AM posted to misc.kids.health
news.chi.sbcglobal.net

Are either you or his father on any anti-depressants or stimulants. No
one realizes the damage they do to personality and physical symptoms by a
mind/body connection .
If you are on stimulants, that would be the cause of your sons unmanageable
behavior as that would be his outlet, as he cannot verbalize what is
bothering hin. And the two parties do not have to be in the same room for
your son to feel the pain, you can be miles and miles apart, still the harm
continues. This is called crohns disease and it happens more often then
we think. Many people suffer needlessly not knowing why. More if you
want to hear it
Gail Michael (Kureforcrohns)

Stinulants are Xanax, Prozac, all anti-depressants, marijuana, cocaine etc.

Old March 24th 08, 01:00 AM posted to misc.kids.health
Jeff

news.chi.sbcglobal.net wrote:
Are either you or his father on any anti-depressants or stimulants. No
one realizes the damage they do to personality and physical symptoms by a
mind/body connection .

If you are on stimulants, that would be the cause of your sons unmanageable
behavior as that would be his outlet, as he cannot verbalize what is
bothering hin.

That's not true. The stimulants don't prevent kids from talking. They do
help kids focus.

And the two parties do not have to be in the same room for
your son to feel the pain, you can be miles and miles apart, still the harm
continues. This is called crohns disease and it happens more often then
we think.

Crohn's disease is an inflammatory condition of the large and small
intestines.

I don't think you have a clue.

Jeff

Old March 24th 08, 01:55 AM posted to misc.kids.health
news.chi.sbcglobal.net

Jeff, You have neither a clue or brain? Crohns disease covers ALL of the
body. It used to be called "Regional Enteritis, but since it became known
that symptoms are anywhere in the body and any kind, rather than just a
digestive disorder it is called Crohns. Believe me, I know what I am
talking about, or I wouldn't be talking. It is actually very tiresome. It
is not what the boy takes, but someone he knows that is on stimulants that
does the harm. I know it sound crazy, but that is the nature of this weird
illness. Wish you were right, I would stop worrying.
Gail.

Old March 24th 08, 02:04 AM posted to misc.kids.health
Jeff

news.chi.sbcglobal.net wrote:
Jeff, You have neither a clue or brain? Crohns disease covers ALL of the
body. It used to be called "Regional Enteritis, but since it became known
that symptoms are anywhere in the body and any kind, rather than just a
digestive disorder it is called Crohns. Believe me, I know what I am
talking about, or I wouldn't be talking.

Somehow I doubt that.

It is actually very tiresome. It
is not what the boy takes, but someone he knows that is on stimulants that
does the harm. I know it sound crazy, but that is the nature of this weird
illness. Wish you were right, I would stop worrying.
Gail.

Well, if you have Chron's disease, I won't argue that it hasn't affected
your brain.

Chron's disease is not that common. Most kids who have psychological
issues do not have it.

Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Kansas Asking for Comments re CS [email protected] Child Support 3 January 26th 07 02:20 AM
One women's comments ... 0:-> Spanking 0 November 18th 06 10:59 PM
Looking for comments ... John Sambrook General 0 May 19th 04 07:47 AM
Shrugging comments off.....:( FayeC Breastfeeding 8 January 13th 04 07:15 PM
any comments KEITH CRABILL Single Parents 55 July 9th 03 02:19 AM