A month versus 28 days

Old December 31st 04, 06:17 PM
Werebat

Simpledog wrote:

I just have to go to them and ask them what a "month" is. Sorta like Bill
Clinton and sex. Is a "month" every 28 days, or is a month those things
that happen 12 times a year?

It's just bizzare. I love my kids, but I wish they'd get to 18 quick. 4
more years.

4 more years? But what is a "year"?

CSE demon reading this NG turns to his pal, slavering: "Redefine
*years*?"

- Ron ^*^

"Beverly" wrote in message

Are you sure it is not the employer's math rather than the states?
Normally, a wage withholding order stipulates as the court does (i.e.
$1000/month) and includes limitations as to the percentage of income
net of taxes which can be withheld; hence, If your after tax income is
$2500/mo and they may withhold up to 35%, only $875 can be withheld
regardless if the order says $1000. (note: percentage can be higher
when there are arrears).

I have dealt with several different "weekly" amounts of child support
based upon the same monthly amount ordered by the court simply due to
it being a different employer. I imagine your employer is concerned
that if $1000 on the nose does not arrive before the 1st, they will be
in trouble. Better for you to be out than for them to be in trouble
dontcha' know. Perhaps you would want to speak with your employer's
payroll dept/person and educate them. For instance, child support is
not considered in arrears until a full month is due for a full month.

If you are paid every other week and your order is for $1000/month,
then they should be withholding only $461.54 plus any processing fees
from each paycheck.

In any given year, every 6th month should have an additional payday
when paid every other week.

Month 1 payments 923.08 still owe 76.92
Month 2 Payments 923.08 still owe 153.84
Month 3 payments 923.08 still owe 230.76
Month 4 Payments 923.08 still owe 307.68
Month 5 payments 923.08 still owe 384.60
Month 6 Payments 1384.62 still owe -.02
Month 7 payments 923.08 still owe 76.90
Month 8 Payments 923.08 still owe 153.82
Month 9 payments 923.08 still owe 230.74
Month 10 Payments 923.08 still owe 307.66
Month 11 payments 923.08 still owe 384.58
Month 12 Payments 1384.62 still owe -.04

The above is worst case scenario on "being behind" as it assumes the 3
paycheck month to come last. Note: the "still owe" column never nears
$1000. And if your employer follows the law and remits payment
withheld within 7 days of withholding, your child doesn't suffer...
simply gets a steady stream of $461.54 every other week.

Feel free to print this out and take it to work with you. I'm betting
it is your payroll dept/person rather than the state since the state
returns the extra $500 when they get it.

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 01:50:36 GMT, "Simpledog"
wrote:

I got this weird problem. I pay a 1,000 dollars a month in CS. To me,
that
means, 12,000 a year. California calculates it to be every 28 days. And
even with that, they can't get their math straight. If the court order
says
a month, is it a month, or 28 days?

I mean, for 3 months I'll be in "arrears" for like 400 bucks or something
(ex had them take it out of my check via garnishment), then I'll get a
check

FROM the Country for like 500 bucks, when, by chance, I'll have three

paydays in that 28 day period.

How can I fix this. I keep all my receipts. And I see at times, they
haven't been giving me credit for my CS, even though it's automatic.