A movie -not- to see...

Old July 12th 05, 02:53 AM
Dusty

Default A movie -not- to see...

Well, I'll not be seeing this flick. I'd much rather rent the original!!

http://www.snavemij.com/dads/wotw.htm

The only thing necessary for the triumph
of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmond Burke

Old July 12th 05, 11:15 AM

Dusty wrote:
Well, I'll not be seeing this flick. I'd much rather rent the original!!

http://www.snavemij.com/dads/wotw.htm

"Ray" has several problems that many fathers have. Some of them don't
realize it and some do. He wasn't involved with his kids beyond
visitation, likely do to his self-absorbed ego.

What the movie does, which is perhaps part of the message a man that is
like him can take away, is that he took the time to get to know his
kids. He became, in the space of a few days, a REAL father - realizing
who his children are and what they really meant to him.

He awoke from his life and realized the truly important things, nearly
too late.

This is not an ideal picture of a father. It is not unrepresentative and
he does a great job of making you forget you're in a theatre. The thrill
is strong. The fact that he's a Deadbeat Dad (in the headlights of loss)
he rose to the occation and while he realized he had to work at being a
parent. He displayed character in the face of disaster and became the
father that he didn't know he was.

We don't know WHY he's in this situation but I truely enjoyed the movie
and as a father with a daughter that's about the same age, I saw myself
in some of those scenes. He was playing ball with his son, how far out
of it could he have been.

The mother wasn't unrealistic. She was going away for the weekend, lives
in a nice house in a nice area. He lives in a house under a freeway.

I know at least one person who doesn't even have this much of a
relationship with his daughter. He walked away. He pays, because he's
ordered to. Ray was not a deadbeat, he was just not a very good parent.
There are plenty of them.