fever question

Old November 9th 04, 03:04 AM
firedancer623

Default fever question

My 8 yr old has had a moderate fever for 5 days now. It's been consistenly
around 102 without letting up aside from taking 200mg of Advil or Tylenol
around the clock. She has no other symptoms other than a runny nose which
she had for about 2 weeks prior to getting the fever. Neither of the other 2
kids are sick..

She saw the Dr on Friday and he ran a strep culture (negative) and her ears
were fine. She's missed 3 days of school so far plus one half day, the day I
had to go pick her up. Her Dr told us to treat the fever and if she got
worse to bring her back. I have very little experience with colds and fevers
as all of the kids have been pretty healthy and when they've been ill, it
hasn't lasted longer than 2 or 3 days without a cause (ear infection, strep,
rotavirus, etc)

I don't want to keep her out of school much longer if I can help it. Im
pretty concerned about her lack of appetite as well as she hasn't eaten much
of anything for the last 5 days. She's only 42 lbs and can't really afford
to lose too much.

I guess Im wondering, what would you do? Call and make another appt
tomorrow? Or wait it out and if so, how much longer? It's not that Im real
worried about the fever, just everything else that is going along with it.

TIA

Kari
mom to Kaylie, Noah and Xander

Old November 9th 04, 03:42 AM
cara

firedancer623 wrote:

My 8 yr old has had a moderate fever for 5 days now. It's been consistenly
around 102 without letting up aside from taking 200mg of Advil or Tylenol
around the clock. She has no other symptoms other than a runny nose which
she had for about 2 weeks prior to getting the fever. Neither of the other 2
kids are sick..

I think I would call and make another appointment if symptoms are the
same or worse tomorrow. You might consider letting it go another day,
but if its a UTI or sinus infection or something it might as well get it
looked at sooner than later. Prolonged unexplained fever should
probably be looked at when the obvious culprits are negative. Thats a
tough one, though....you hate to go in and have them tell you to wait it
out longer.

cara

Old November 9th 04, 04:23 AM
Nan

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 03:04:35 GMT, "firedancer623"
scribbled:

[...]

Has the doctor considered doing a urine culture to check for a UTI or
bladder infection? If not, you might want to nudge him in that
direction. I understand the not eating concern. My 4 year old weighs
33 pounds and looks like a twig. She can't afford to lose any weight,
either. If she'll take liquids, you could try Pedia-Sure. I've used
it for dd with success.

Nan

Another child killed in kincare Kane Spanking 26 February 17th 04 05:30 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM