How much to limit fluids to hope 3.5 yr to be dry at night?

Old April 3rd 07, 11:09 AM posted to misc.kids
Rebecca[_2_]

Default How much to limit fluids to hope 3.5 yr to be dry at night?

I have heard that you are meant to limit fluids late pm/ eves to try
to get them dry at night but how much does this mean?

We have cut down on his nighttime fluids and generally give one glass
of juice with tea at 5ish and beaker of milk at 6ish and he goes for
last wee before bed at 7. We do generally put him on the potty when we
go to bed at 10ish - sometimes his nappy will be dry then (not always,
and we change it if quite full then) but 9/10 he has a wet nappy in
morning and half that time it is so full he has wet pj's or bed.

He just cant wake himself up for the toilet.
Can anyone advise or give some tips?
Thanks
Louise

Old April 3rd 07, 11:11 AM posted to misc.kids
Irrational Number

Rebecca wrote:

I have heard that you are meant to limit fluids late pm/ eves to try
to get them dry at night but how much does this mean?

We have cut down on his nighttime fluids and generally give one glass
of juice with tea at 5ish and beaker of milk at 6ish and he goes for
last wee before bed at 7. We do generally put him on the potty when we
go to bed at 10ish - sometimes his nappy will be dry then (not always,
and we change it if quite full then) but 9/10 he has a wet nappy in
morning and half that time it is so full he has wet pj's or bed.

He just cant wake himself up for the toilet.
Can anyone advise or give some tips?

I think you're doing as well as you can by
limiting his drink at night, but staying
dry at night can also be a developmental
stage. Pillbug is almost 4 and autistic, so
I expected to have a lot of problems toilet
training him, and yet, even though he got LOTS
of fluids right before bedtime, he stayed dry
at night almost immediately. (Now, if we could
get him to let us know when he has to go, we
can get rid of the multiple daytime accidents!)

-- Anita --
Old April 3rd 07, 12:05 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"Rebecca" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have heard that you are meant to limit fluids late pm/ eves to try
to get them dry at night but how much does this mean?

I don't think there is much you can do in the middle of the night. It didn't
matter if I limited drinks or not, my oldest daughter would have accidents
either way. Her bladder just wasn't mature yet. We just put Pull-ups on her
at night until she was consistently dry. It took a while, but it did
eventually happen.

Sue

Old April 3rd 07, 12:47 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"Rebecca" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have heard that you are meant to limit fluids late pm/ eves to try
to get them dry at night but how much does this mean?

We have cut down on his nighttime fluids and generally give one glass
of juice with tea at 5ish and beaker of milk at 6ish and he goes for
last wee before bed at 7. We do generally put him on the potty when we
go to bed at 10ish - sometimes his nappy will be dry then (not always,
and we change it if quite full then) but 9/10 he has a wet nappy in
morning and half that time it is so full he has wet pj's or bed.

He just cant wake himself up for the toilet.
Can anyone advise or give some tips?
Thanks
Louise

Kids reach a stage where they stay dry at night by themselves. The time this
occurs varies greatly, from around 2 to around 5 or 6 or even later.

Clearly the amount of urine he is putting at between 10 pm and when he wakes
up in the morning is far more than the amount he drinks after 4 pm. So it is
not just how much he drinks after 4 pm.

He will wake himself up at night to pee when he is ready, whenever that is,
according to his own schedule.

Jeff

Old April 3rd 07, 03:33 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Rebecca wrote:
I have heard that you are meant to limit fluids late pm/ eves to try
to get them dry at night but how much does this mean?

We have cut down on his nighttime fluids and generally give one glass
of juice with tea at 5ish and beaker of milk at 6ish and he goes for
last wee before bed at 7. We do generally put him on the potty when we
go to bed at 10ish - sometimes his nappy will be dry then (not always,
and we change it if quite full then) but 9/10 he has a wet nappy in
morning and half that time it is so full he has wet pj's or bed.

He just cant wake himself up for the toilet.
Can anyone advise or give some tips?

Lay off until he can stay dry. You don't want to
limit his fluids too severely, and staying dry through the
night is just a matter of maturity for most kids. He's not
going to do it until his body is ready. Given how far he
seems from being dry at night now, I doubt you can reduce
his fluids enough to keep him dry, and I think it's unreasonable
to suggest he should go with less fluids than he's getting
now. Relax. He'll get there eventually. You may want to
switch to something that will keep his bed and pjs drier
(Pullups? Good Nites?) in the mean time.

Best wishes,
Ericka