How old is too old for sleepovers?

Old July 1st 07, 05:30 AM posted to soc.men,alt.parenting,alt.support.marriage,misc.kids,alt.psychology
Avenger[_3_]

Default How old is too old for sleepovers?

"Andrea J. Richardson" wrote in message
I think that is fine. There is nothing wrong with that.

Don't be so naive. They're probably shagging some little 14 yo sluts, or if
they can't get any they are holding circle jerks lol

"Shindy" wrote in message
news
My son's 14 yo but still likes to do sleepovers. My husband & I think
it's a
little weird for a boy. What do you think?

Old July 1st 07, 08:38 AM posted to soc.men,alt.parenting,alt.support.marriage,misc.kids,alt.psychology
Shaft

"Shindy" wrote in message
news
My son's 14 yo but still likes to do sleepovers. My husband & I think
it's a
little weird for a boy. What do you think?

Your never too old for a sleepover.

Old July 1st 07, 07:45 PM posted to soc.men,alt.parenting,alt.support.marriage,misc.kids,alt.psychology
[email protected]

I have three kids, sons 16 and 13, and daughter 9. All three of them
still go on sleep overs.

With the oldest, I know all his friends and the parents. We're close
to the high school so the boys often hang out at our place after
school, but their weekend routine is to hang out at various kid's
houses (eathing pizza and chips), and often one or two of them will
flop where they are rather than go home - since they are playing video
games, watching movies or playing guitar until late at night. Its
very, very casual. Not terribly comfortable either - its usually a
borrowed sleeping bag on the floor, or a quilt and the couch. There
is nothing henky going on. The big lure is who has the newest game or
something cool. I always know where he is, and thus far, when I've
called the number of the house he says he's at, that's where he is
(and we keep a big central phone file of all the kids' friends and
classmates). Thus far, no wild parties, no girls involved. That's not
to say that won't happen eventually, but thus far, its pretty darned
innocent, parents are always around, and he's having fun with friends.

The 13 year old actually does sleep overs less, but with him, birthday
parties often involve paintball or lasar quest sessions and then a
sleep over. Again, can't say I'd be enthused to sleep on a basement
floor with 6 other 13 year olds, but hey, he's having fun, and what's
not to allow? Nothing untoward is going on. He has a couple of friends
who live a bit of a distance, and he goes over there for sleep overs
or they come to our house every now and then.

The 9 year old is queen of sleep overs. I don't remember them being so
popular as they are now, but it would be a rare weekend when we don't
have little girls sleeping over at our house. It tends to be very last
minute (i.e. a kid will be over afterschool, and suddenly I get asked
if they can stay to dinner and overnight). The boys each have bunk
beds in their room, and my daughter has a double bed, so there is
always somewhere for someone to sleep other than the floor (we drag a
single mattress off the bunks and put them wherever needed on the
floor).

I'm happy they feel their house is a place where their friends are
welcome. I'd rather know all their friends up close so we get a feel
for what path everyone is on. We're always home too, so its safe.

M.

Old July 2nd 07, 07:15 AM posted to soc.men,alt.parenting,alt.support.marriage,misc.kids,alt.psychology
Shaft

On Jul 2, 4:45 am, wrote:
[...]

I think your very naive M.

Shaft

Old July 2nd 07, 11:31 PM posted to soc.men,alt.parenting,alt.support.marriage,misc.kids,alt.psychology
[email protected]

Shaft wrote:

I think your very naive M.

Mary responds:
And you are even more naive if you think kids need a sleep over
situation to get into sex, drugs, and whatever else their parents and
the cops would prefer they not do. Heck, I recall what many teens I
knew were up to were up to with weekend curfews of 11 pm. It was lack
of adult supervision that provided the opportunity, day or night.

Old July 3rd 07, 01:02 AM posted to soc.men,alt.parenting,alt.support.marriage,misc.kids,alt.psychology
Aula

wrote in message
ups.com...
Shaft wrote:

I think your very naive M.

Mary responds:
And you are even more naive if you think kids need a sleep over
situation to get into sex, drugs, and whatever else their parents and
the cops would prefer they not do. Heck, I recall what many teens I
knew were up to were up to with weekend curfews of 11 pm. It was lack
of adult supervision that provided the opportunity, day or night.

Statistically speaking all of that outside the bounds behavior engage in by
teens [drinking, substance abuse, sex, crime] is most likely to occur
between the time school lets out and the parent[s] come home from work,
which is often a two plus hour period five days weekly.

-Aula

Old July 3rd 07, 01:47 AM posted to alt.parenting,alt.support.marriage,misc.kids
Tai[_2_]

Aula wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Shaft wrote:

I think your very naive M.

Mary responds:
And you are even more naive if you think kids need a sleep over
situation to get into sex, drugs, and whatever else their parents and
the cops would prefer they not do. Heck, I recall what many teens I
knew were up to were up to with weekend curfews of 11 pm. It was lack
of adult supervision that provided the opportunity, day or night.

Statistically speaking all of that outside the bounds behavior engage
in by teens [drinking, substance abuse, sex, crime] is most likely to
occur between the time school lets out and the parent[s] come home
from work, which is often a two plus hour period five days weekly.

That's one of the reasons we've committed to having a parent at home during
those years for our teenagers and we like our children's friends to hang out
here. We also have mixed sleepovers quite frequently, usually in a party
situation where no one goes to sleep until the dawn, but we parents stay up
and supervise them the whole night.

Tai