Birthday gift for 14yr old niece?

Old October 5th 07, 03:54 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Default Birthday gift for 14yr old niece?

Hi, again --

Although 14 would seem to be on the late side for cute soaps, my nieces
enjoy them still. I gradually (and gratefully) replaced the
fruit-scented soaps with herb and flower-scented lotions, but at ages 15
and 17 they still seem happy with the cute bear soap and glittery lip
gloss. Having never enjoyed soaps myself as a girl, I don't entirely
get it, but am glad to be able to give them gifts they'll enjoy.

--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old October 6th 07, 02:13 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Our local Sears often has sterling silver jewellry for very little
money (i.e. 12-20$). Nice earrings, nice necklaces (i.e. a chain with
a little pendant that is square cut cubic zirconium - very classy and
good for any age). They have been such a hit for the 10-16 range that
I bought a bunch of them for the "present stash", and have had to go
back for more a couple of times.

Mary G.
Kids 16, 13 and 9

Old October 6th 07, 03:40 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Ericka Kammerer wrote in
:

wrote:
Our local Sears often has sterling silver jewellry for
very little money (i.e. 12-20$). Nice earrings, nice
necklaces (i.e. a chain with a little pendant that is
square cut cubic zirconium - very classy and good for any
age). They have been such a hit for the 10-16 range that
I bought a bunch of them for the "present stash", and have
had to go back for more a couple of times.

Actually, thinking of jewelry and depending on how
much you're in for, getting her started on a silver charm
bracelet might be fun and could set you up for gift giving
opportunities in the future. Sterling charms aren't that
expensive, and goodness knows there are bazillions of them.

unless things have changed drastically since i was 14, there
aren't as many sterling silver charms as gold ones... however,
silver ones were/are less expensive & i have never regretted
starting a silver charm bracelet.
my friend in jr.high insisted to her parents that *her* charm
bracelet had to be gold. while she had some really nifty gold
charms, she couldn't buy as many as i could (and i babysat far
less often than she did). the silver charms were at least 2/3s
less expensive than gold ones, even for the articulated ones i
prefer
lee
Old October 6th 07, 04:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

enigma wrote:
Ericka Kammerer wrote in
:

Actually, thinking of jewelry and depending on how
much you're in for, getting her started on a silver charm
bracelet might be fun and could set you up for gift giving
opportunities in the future. Sterling charms aren't that
expensive, and goodness knows there are bazillions of them.

unless things have changed drastically since i was 14, there
aren't as many sterling silver charms as gold ones...

Oh, believe me, silver ones are *much* easier to
find. DD has a gold charm bracelet, and finding gold charms
is much more difficult, not to mention loads more expensive.
Some days I wonder why the heck she was started with a gold
charm bracelet. (Not that I don't think it's gorgeous, mind
you. We'll just have to send her out with an armed guard
when she's wearing it.)

however,
silver ones were/are less expensive & i have never regretted
starting a silver charm bracelet.
my friend in jr.high insisted to her parents that *her* charm
bracelet had to be gold. while she had some really nifty gold
charms, she couldn't buy as many as i could (and i babysat far
less often than she did). the silver charms were at least 2/3s
less expensive than gold ones, even for the articulated ones i
prefer

The price differential is much bigger than that,
unless you're talking about gold-plated vs. silver. It's
scary.

Best wishes,
Ericka
(who's charm shopping for DD this year...looking for something
to commemorate her first Nutcracker role, once we know what
that is...)