Are people returning infant cough meds to pharmacies?

Old October 19th 07, 06:22 PM posted to misc.kids
Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward

Default Are people returning infant cough meds to pharmacies?

I have half a dozen bottles here that each cost about $6-8. Should I
just throw them away, or are pharmacies taking them back?

(In case someone's out of the loop, this is after the announcement
that major infant flu meds are being pulled from the pharmacy shelves.)

Old October 19th 07, 07:17 PM posted to misc.kids
cjra

On Oct 19, 12:22 pm, Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward
wrote:
I have half a dozen bottles here that each cost about $6-8. Should I
just throw them away, or are pharmacies taking them back?

(In case someone's out of the loop, this is after the announcement
that major infant flu meds are being pulled from the pharmacy shelves.)

They were being pulled not because there is a problem with them but
because parents tend to overdose their kids.

Old October 19th 07, 07:39 PM posted to misc.kids
Akuvikate

wrote:
I have half a dozen bottles here that each cost about $6-8. Should I
just throw them away, or are pharmacies taking them back?

(In case someone's out of the loop, this is after the announcement
that major infant flu meds are being pulled from the pharmacy shelves.)

They were being pulled not because there is a problem with them but
because parents tend to overdose their kids.

Not entirely true. The worst problems (ie deaths) came from
overdoses, but these medicines are not entirely benign. They have not
been studied in kids until recently, and the dosing recommendations
were just extrapolations from adults. There's increasing evidence
that they just plain don't work in young children. And if they simply
don't work, then their only possible contribution to kids health is a
bad one in the form of side effects.

I'm thrilled with this change. I've been recommending against this
stuff and people seldom seem satisfied when I urge them not to use or
I don't prescribe it (for Medicaid patients). But when the
manufacturers, FDA and AAP have either recalled it (for kids under 2
years old) or are urging its recall (AAP urging recall for kids under
6) it's much easier for me to convince parents that it's not good for
their kids. If there are some well-designed studies on efficacy,
dosing, side effects, etc and some of the medicines turn out to be
useful, I'll happily recommend/prescribe them in future. But for now,
better to stick with sal****er nose drops, snot suckers, humidified
air, and chicken soup.

For the OP, I haven't heard of anyone taking the stuff back or
offering refunds, but I don't know for sure.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 years old
and something brewing, 4/08

Old October 21st 07, 04:04 AM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
I have half a dozen bottles here that each cost about $6-8. Should I
just throw them away, or are pharmacies taking them back?

Mary responds:
Holy cow, why would ANYONE need that much?

Old October 21st 07, 04:57 PM posted to misc.kids
Marie

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:39:45 -0700, Akuvikate
wrote:

Not entirely true. The worst problems (ie deaths) came from
overdoses, but these medicines are not entirely benign. They have not
been studied in kids until recently, and the dosing recommendations
were just extrapolations from adults. There's increasing evidence
that they just plain don't work in young children. And if they simply
don't work, then their only possible contribution to kids health is a
bad one in the form of side effects.

What is considered young children? Delsym works to relieve coughing in
my children. I don't try any of the other cough meds. Delsym seems to
not affect how they feel otherwise and it actually works, unless it's
a coincidence that they stop coughing half an hour after taking it
every time.
Marie
Old October 22nd 07, 04:23 AM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"Sue" wrote in message
news:qvCdnXzcJc9WEYHanZ2dnUVZ_vamnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
What is considered young children? Delsym works to relieve coughing in
my children. I don't try any of the other cough meds. Delsym seems to
not affect how they feel otherwise and it actually works, unless it's
a coincidence that they stop coughing half an hour after taking it
every time.
Marie

I don't know what would be considered young. I use Delsym also. It works
wonders on our cough. I don't usually use cough medicine during the day,
but definitely at night.
--

I agree here. My almost 3 yr old still has reflux issues and if she starts
coughing, will start vomiting very easily. The toddler dimetapp Cough

Old October 22nd 07, 12:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

What is considered young children? Delsym works to relieve coughing in
my children. I don't try any of the other cough meds. Delsym seems to
not affect how they feel otherwise and it actually works, unless it's
a coincidence that they stop coughing half an hour after taking it
every time.
Marie

I don't know what would be considered young. I use Delsym also. It works
wonders on our cough. I don't usually use cough medicine during the day, but
definitely at night.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Period returning Welches Pregnancy 2 April 8th 05 02:42 PM
We've caught a bug. Cough-cough! Carol Ann Pregnancy 7 December 1st 04 05:37 PM
Returning pg with Baby #2 :-) Wendy J. Pregnancy 11 March 30th 04 06:40 PM
bad cough in infant [email protected] General 6 February 17th 04 10:35 PM
Cough meds? SuperEeyore Breastfeeding 8 October 11th 03 03:15 AM