Do you have at least 2 children??

Old December 21st 07, 09:47 PM posted to misc.kids
mommak

Default Do you have at least 2 children??

Do you have a least two children. If so, I would like to hear some
stories about having your second child. Such things as: how did the
first one deal with having another baby around.... How far are they
apart..... What were some of the questions the first child asked.....
Any thing you want to tell. I'd like to have another child... and just
want to know about some of the things that might come up. Thanks
Old December 22nd 07, 06:55 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:47:32 -0800 (PST), mommak wrote:

Do you have a least two children. If so, I would like to hear some
stories about having your second child. Such things as: how did the
first one deal with having another baby around....

Very jelous the first year, but they get along great now.

How far are they
apart.....

32 months.

What were some of the questions the first child asked.....

Not much.

Any thing you want to tell.

I love the spacing of our kids and they get along so well. Yes, they
fight, but not much. They play more than fight and they play well.
Old December 22nd 07, 12:12 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"mommak" wrote in message
Do you have a least two children. If so, I would like to hear some
stories about having your second child.

I have three children. 15, 12, and 11 yrs old.

Such things as: how did the first one deal with having another baby
around....

DD1 handled it pretty well. When DD2 was 19 months old, DD3 was born. DD2
was too little to react in a negative way towards DD3. DD2 and DD3 don't get
along now that they are older, they fight constantly. However, it could be
that they are all girls and all very close in age. The biggest thing I think
that is important is to make sure you make time for each child individually.

How far are they apart.....

Between DD1 and 2, there is 3 years apart. Between DD2 and DD3 there is 19
months apart. Between DD1 and DD3 there is 4 years apart.

What were some of the questions the first child asked.....

I don't remember too many questions. They were pretty young when siblings
were brought home.

Any thing you want to tell. I'd like to have another child... and just
want to know about some of the things that might come up. Thanks

Just remember that no spacing is perfect and it is not guaranteed that your
children will get along because they are close in age. My experience shows
me that the farther apart they are, the better they get along. The closer
they are the worse they get along, but these are my kids and the way it is
at my house. I don't like the close spacing because I feel as though I have
missed out on a lot of one on one times with each of them because they are
so close in age that I feel as though I don't have any time between stages.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 22nd 07, 06:51 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby

mommak wrote:
Do you have a least two children. If so, I would like to hear some
stories about having your second child. Such things as: how did the
first one deal with having another baby around....

Mine are 11 and almost 6. My oldest absolutely despised the baby. She
had never wanted a sibling, and she wasn't kidding. She wouldn't have
hurt him, but she'd certainly have been thrilled if we had returned him
to the hospital. She's progressed to liking him, but I suspect she
wouldn't mind a whole lot if he disappeared today.

How far are they
apart..... What were some of the questions the first child asked.....

When we told her we were going to have another baby, her anguished
question was: "WHY????"

Any thing you want to tell. I'd like to have another child... and just
want to know about some of the things that might come up. Thanks

If you want another child, have another child. Presumably, you'd be
having it because you want it, not for some silliness like thinking the
other child needs a sibling. Don't expect that the first child will be
happy about it. If that happens, great - you get a bonus.

Clisby
Old December 22nd 07, 11:01 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

wrote:

Do you have a least two children. If so, I would like to hear some
stories about having your second child. Such things as: how did the
first one deal with having another baby around.... How far are they
apart..... What were some of the questions the first child asked.....
Any thing you want to tell. I'd like to have another child... and just
want to know about some of the things that might come up. Thanks

I'm a grandma, but I remember having my second.

My ds and dd are almost exactly 3 years apart.

My ds really did not ask anything. He was not interested. He was
fine with her until she started walking and getting into his things.
Then he was not happy and would push her down or grab his toys back
from her. He also regressed at 3.5 because he didn't like the idea
of mom being home with baby sister and him being in nursery school.
We had to pull him out and put him back in the following year.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old December 23rd 07, 05:16 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Dec 21, 4:47�pm, mommak wrote:
Do you have a least two children. If so, I would like to hear some
stories about having your second child. Such things as: how did the
first one deal with having another baby around.... �How far are they
apart..... What were some of the questions the first child asked.....
Any thing you want to tell. I'd like to have another child... and just
want to know about some of the things that might come up. Thanks

My first two are 25 months apart. The biggest problem we had was due
to me not realizing there were some routines we had established that
would not always remain consistent after a new baby arrived. So when
he woke up from naps and in the morning, we would snuggle on the couch
for a bit, and before bed we always read stories, etc. He was fine
with the new baby until say he would walk out of his room from a nap
and find me feeding the baby and unable to snuggle him in my lap like
we had always done. He would then go hide underneath the kitchen table
and cry "Baby down!", and I would put baby down and try to coax him
out, so then baby would be crying, then I would cry from guilt, so we
would all be crying. lol. It didn't last long and I found other ways
to fit it all in. There were many nights that I fell asleep with a
baby on my chest/shoulder and one hand on him in his big boy bed where
DH would come home and wake me with the worst crick in my neck due to
having my head jacked back on a wooden bookcase/headboard. These 2
were the closest sibs I'd ever seen as the baby entered toddlerhood.
She adored just watching him eat. They snuggled each other and often
held hands everywhere we went. We got a lot of comments on how close
they seemed. Of course, they are now 8 and 10, and a day without
arguing would be heaven sent. I think the hardest thing of having them
close together, aside from the challenge a newborn always brings, is
that the second one often got lumped in with the first one as far as
expectations went at a certain point. We still have to remind
ourselves that she is still 2 years younger and should not be expected
to do everything responsibility-wise that her brother can do.

I had my 3rd 2 years ago when the older two were 6 and 8. They didn't
mind him at all and made a very big fuss over him. Everything seemed
fine until he started crawling and walking, talking, and playing. He
has learned about arguing from simply watching them, so he already has
a mind of his own and he asserts himself often. lol. I spent a lot of
time worrying about how far in age he was from them. I envisioned that
he would be frequently left out and such based on how close they were,
which will still happen as he grows, BUT I did not realize until now
how much this toddler phase was going to affect the older two, so it
turned out I should have been worried about that a tad. They often
resent him when they cannot play in the living room like they had
always done, that everything has to be a certain way to protect him
(small toys, etc.), and that we cannot just up and go do certain
things, like sledding, with him, so I spend a lot of time explaining
how it won't be much longer, that he is learning from us, etc.
Old December 23rd 07, 07:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Zipadee

On Dec 21, 4:47 pm, mommak wrote:
Do you have a least two children. If so, I would like to hear some
stories about having your second child. Such things as: how did the
first one deal with having another baby around.... How far are they
apart..... What were some of the questions the first child asked.....
Any thing you want to tell. I'd like to have another child... and just
want to know about some of the things that might come up. Thanks

My 2 are 25 months apart. My daughter was initially happy with her
baby brother until he got to about 18 months when he decided it
was fun to go up to her and hit her and she would scream. I don't
know which action I disliked more. It wasn't all the time and they
mostly got along though I can remember saying I wish I'd had
them 10 years apart. But mostly now I think it was a good
spacing because they didn't have drastically different capabilities
as they would if they were many years apart so we didn't have
to restrict family activities much.

When they got to around 11 and 13 they stopped fighting.
Sometimes they'd just pay no attention to each other but
other times they would interact well. Now they're 19 and 17.
My daughter is mostly away at college but the two of
them do stay in touch (email and Facebook) and have a
decent sibling relationship though I wouldn't say they're
VERY close.

-- Zip
Old December 24th 07, 05:01 PM posted to misc.kids
mommak

On Dec 23, 2:41*pm, Zipadee wrote:
On Dec 21, 4:47 pm, mommak wrote:

[...]

Thanks for sharing your story. I only have one child, but would like
another.
My mom tells me stories about me and my 2 younger brothers. She said I
loved to baby the second born child (the middle child) up until he got
to the stage where he could crawl and walk with holding on to
things... And when he started playing with '''MY''' toys. After he was
at that stage... I was mean to him. Just like your kids... I thought
it was fun to make him cry. When he would crawl, I'd grab his feet so
he couldn't crawl. That is the main story I remember. With the
youngest... I was old enough then... I wanted to take care of him.
Wanted to help every way I could. I've always gotten along with the
younest. But the one that is only 2 years younger than me... we always
fought. But now we don't
Old December 24th 07, 05:09 PM posted to misc.kids
mommak

On Dec 23, 12:16Â*pm, Chris wrote:
On Dec 21, 4:47�pm, mommak wrote:

[...]

Thanks for sharing your story with me. That was some of the things I'm
worried about. I have little routines with my child as well. We love
to cuddle... she sleeps with us in our bed.... she pretty much loves a
lot of skin on skin touch or to be near you. And I don't want to lose
that time with her. I don't want to leave her out. But I breast feed
her and sometimes it felt like she was always sucking on my ninnies.
She wouldn't take a pacifer. I plan to breast feed the second one, and
I know that, that will take a little time away from Ariel as well and
maybe even make her jealous. What were the main ways you tried to cope
with the breastfeeding taking time away fromthe first child..
Thanks mommak
Old December 25th 07, 03:07 AM posted to misc.kids
RosalieAnn Beasley

"mommak" wrote in message
Do you have a least two children. If so, I would like to hear some
stories about having your second child. Such things as: how did the
first one deal with having another baby around.... How far are they
apart..... What were some of the questions the first child asked.....
Any thing you want to tell. I'd like to have another child... and just
want to know about some of the things that might come up. Thanks

I have four children.

The oldest was 25 months when the second one was born. The third one was 5
years younger than the second one, and the fourth one was 2 years and 8
months younger than the third one. They are NOW ages 46, 44, 39 and 36.

The oldest was very 'motherly' especially toward the younger two. I don't
remember that she asked anything in particular about her next youngest
sister. During the middle grades (2,3,4,5,6) those two were almost the same
size and people often asked if they were twins. I had a prohibition
against physical fighting, but I find out now that they did fight (when they
were in grade school) - they just did it when I wasn't around. I gather
that they were fairly evenly matched.

The second one was VERY much more competitive than her older sister, and
would try to do anything that her sister did. Sometimes she succeeded - she
was equal in ice skating and better in swimming. But in fine motor skills
(like sewing) she was not able in 4th grade to equal her 6th grade sister,
and consequently she now does not sew. It took her a long time to become as
good a rider as her older sister because she was afraid, which her sister
was not - even when a horse kicked or stepped on her or she fell off, she
was not afraid to go back and do it again.

The second one did resent the third one quite a lot (she tells me now), but
they became friends, and dd#3 is more like dd#1 was in regard to horses, and
she is now a professional horse trainer and judge.

The youngest one was pretty laid back as a general rule, and allowed his
sisters to boss him around to a certain extent. I did put my babies into
playpens when they were little and did not allow them to get into their
siblings things. Although dd#2 felt sorry for ds and took him out of the
playpen.

My children are all pretty close now, especially the older two and talk on
the phone often. My son is not as close, partly because they don't like his
wife, and partly because he's hard to contact as he is always losing his
phone, and does not return calls or emails.

I have a younger sister (2.5 years younger) and a problem I had was that my
mom always told me that I was old enough to 'know better' than to hit my
little sister, and my sister soon figured this out, and she would do her
utmost to annoy me and when I finally lost my temper, she would run to
Mother saying that I hit her. When my mom figured this out, she stopped
saying that.

I now have 10 grandchildren that are living. The oldest two (dd#1's older
children) DID fight with each other a lot. I don't know that they are as
close now as their mother and aunts are - they are now 27 and 25. They also
have a 13 year old sibling who is the equivalant of a youngest only child.
DD#2 has two children that are 5 years apart. DD#3 has 3 children, the
youngest will be 2 this month. DS has two living children - one a freshman
in HS and the other in 6th grade. Their oldest child died at age 2.