hair nets

Old March 18th 08, 01:18 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

Default hair nets

I need to get hair nets suitable for putting hair in a bun, I went to
Bartells and Rite-Aid, the only nets their were Conair, wrapped in
paper, so I couldn't see them and on the back declared the, as "ultra-
fine". I took a gamble and bought them and thankfully they are less
fine than some I saw in the UK that were "ultra-fine", which were
impossible to use for a bun. They are useable for a bun, but not
ideal, it holds, but the gaps are big enough that hair is likely to
spike out of it as time passes. Should I try other drug stores, or do
I need a different store, back in the UK both drug stores and
supermarkets usually had own brand full hair nets and smaller bun nets
(I need to create a big bun, so need a full size net).

Any idea where I might locate hair spray with glitter in it?

Cheers
Anne
Old March 18th 08, 01:32 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:
I need to get hair nets suitable for putting hair in a bun, I went to
Bartells and Rite-Aid, the only nets their were Conair, wrapped in
paper, so I couldn't see them and on the back declared the, as "ultra-
fine". I took a gamble and bought them and thankfully they are less
fine than some I saw in the UK that were "ultra-fine", which were
impossible to use for a bun. They are useable for a bun, but not
ideal, it holds, but the gaps are big enough that hair is likely to
spike out of it as time passes. Should I try other drug stores, or do
I need a different store, back in the UK both drug stores and
supermarkets usually had own brand full hair nets and smaller bun nets
(I need to create a big bun, so need a full size net).

They're a little pricey, but we just go ahead and get
the ones made for dancers (e.g., Bunheads). They seem to hold
up reasonably well over time, so the price is reasonable given
the lifespan.
What's your purpose? Are you looking for dance, and
if so, for rehearsal or performance? If you're just looking
for rehearsal, I make a mean bun cover. Measure the diameter
of your bun and send me your snail mail address and I'll make
you one (let me know what color you prefer).

Any idea where I might locate hair spray with glitter in it?

Have you tried a hair salon, especially one that caters
to teens? Or maybe one of those accessory stores that seem
to show up in every mall?

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old March 18th 08, 02:11 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

* * * * They're a little pricey, but we just go ahead and get
the ones made for dancers (e.g., Bunheads). *They seem to hold
up reasonably well over time, so the price is reasonable given
the lifespan.

Do you buy them at a dance store or online?

* * * * What's your purpose? *Are you looking for dance, and
if so, for rehearsal or performance? *If you're just looking
for rehearsal, I make a mean bun cover. *Measure the diameter
of your bun and send me your snail mail address and I'll make
you one (let me know what color you prefer).

That's a kind offer, but it's for a competition, so I need a net. It's
ballroom, which is why I've been told to make the bun as big as
possible, my hair right now would make a fab ballet bun, it's long
enough to easily get it up, but thin enough it creates a nice neat
bun, which isn't really ballroom style. I've been looking at pictures
online and a side parting and a large bun at the nape of the neck
seems to be common, they even sell humongous hair pieces to fake it,
but that would be over the top for my level, it's both mine and my
partners first comp, we decided to do it to have something to aim for
and because it made sense to get experience rather than practicing for
longer and it becoming a much bigger deal, so if we get to a higher
level and it starts mattering more, we've got some experience under
our belts.

Any idea where I might locate hair spray with glitter in it?

* * * * Have you tried a hair salon, especially one that caters
to teens? *Or maybe one of those accessory stores that seem
to show up in every mall?

Hmm, I've never seen a hair salon aimed at teens, but I just
remembered seeing something labelled as a beauty supply store which I
saw a lot of teens leaving once, I think they may have some training
there or something. It doesn't matter desperately, I was doing the
drugstore trip this morning as it's about the only free moment I have
this week, the comp is Saturday, but my parents arrive on Friday, so
I'm trying to juggle normal life, restoring some order to the house
along with practice every evening!

Cheers
Anne
Old March 18th 08, 02:32 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:
They're a little pricey, but we just go ahead and get
the ones made for dancers (e.g., Bunheads). They seem to hold
up reasonably well over time, so the price is reasonable given
the lifespan.

Do you buy them at a dance store or online?

I grab them at the dance studio. It's hardly worth
paying shipping to get them online ;-) I think the packet
of three is something like a whopping $2-3.

What's your purpose? Are you looking for dance, and
if so, for rehearsal or performance? If you're just looking
for rehearsal, I make a mean bun cover. Measure the diameter
of your bun and send me your snail mail address and I'll make
you one (let me know what color you prefer).

That's a kind offer, but it's for a competition, so I need a net.

Ahhh, definitely.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old March 18th 08, 04:00 AM posted to misc.kids
MarieD[_2_]

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
. ..
if so, for rehearsal or performance? If you're just looking
for rehearsal, I make a mean bun cover. Measure the diameter
of your bun and send me your snail mail address and I'll make
you one (let me know what color you prefer).

Is the purpose of a bun cover to keep it from coming apart? I mean, is it
really tight on the bun? There is so much I don't know! I've been to dance
rehearsals (no competitions yet) and I never saw any of the girls wearing
nets or anything.
Marie

Old March 18th 08, 06:46 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

* * * * I grab them at the dance studio. *It's hardly worth
paying shipping to get them online ;-) *I think the packet
of three is something like a whopping $2-3.

Hmm, I wonder if stopping by the local PNB place, would be a good
idea, it's significantly closer than any of the dance stores in the
area, we seem to have a reasonable number of dance studios, but no
dance store, so to get to a dance store it's go to the next city
along, not that that is far, it's just not something that fits
nicely..

Anne
Old March 18th 08, 06:56 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

Is the purpose of a bun cover to keep it from coming apart? I mean, is it
really tight on the bun? There is so much I don't know! I've been to dance
rehearsals (no competitions yet) and I never saw any of the girls wearing
nets or anything.

You may not see a well matched net. On occassion having had to produce
a bun without a net, it is doeable, but it's not neat and takes a lot
of pins, which are then likely to wriggle when you dance and let
sections of hair loose. I'm guessing Ericka's cover is a nifty thing
that helps you create a bun speedily with few or no pins. So I suspect
you are seeing nets, just not realising. the basic purpose of the net
is to keep the hair behaving as one unit, you only want to pin around
the bottom of the bun which won't get every hair and may work loose,
with the net, you get the hair bun shaped and lop the net over it, 2
or 3 times, you can then manipulate it a bit more for neatness,
location, size, etc and pin in place. Remember in ballet, the bun high
and small, most ballet dancers have shoulder length hair.

Cheers
Anne
Old March 18th 08, 07:21 AM posted to misc.kids
NL

Anne Rogers schrieb:
Is the purpose of a bun cover to keep it from coming apart? I mean, is it
really tight on the bun? There is so much I don't know! I've been to dance
rehearsals (no competitions yet) and I never saw any of the girls wearing
nets or anything.

You may not see a well matched net. On occassion having had to produce
a bun without a net, it is doeable, but it's not neat and takes a lot
of pins, which are then likely to wriggle when you dance and let
sections of hair loose.

I wore my hair in a bun for years and never used a net or pins ;-) Just
one elastic. But my hair was down to about my shoulderblades when I
started wearing a bun and well below my butt when I decided to get it
cut short ;-)

Remember in ballet, the bun high
and small, most ballet dancers have shoulder length hair.

And with "short" hair you'll definitely need something to constrain the
hair with. But when my hair is/was that short I got a bun slightly
larger than a quarter because my hair is so fine ;-)

cu
nicole
Old March 18th 08, 10:25 AM posted to misc.kids
Welches

Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

Claires accessories in UK has them. Try that sort of place.
Debbie

Old March 18th 08, 12:24 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

http://www.bunheads.com/stage/HairNets.html

Lots of things you might find useful, straight from the source.

I've bought glitter hair spray at costume stores.

M.

Hair Style Should Depend On Your Hair Texture [email protected] General 0 February 20th 08 02:44 PM
Help! Hair Everywhere! Weezie Pregnancy 10 January 7th 05 11:36 PM
Hair Dye Leslie Pregnancy 27 September 4th 04 12:58 PM
Hair! Hair! Everywhere there's hair! DeliciousTruffles Pregnancy 17 June 15th 04 02:15 PM
hair Sara Breastfeeding 10 February 23rd 04 09:31 PM