Alternative to Cow's Milk ?

Old March 14th 08, 02:37 PM posted to misc.kids
meatnub

Default Alternative to Cow's Milk ?

Hello,

Our 10 month old is growing fine, we're giving him Soy formula and
fresh veggies/fruits for meals. have yet to introduce meats (chicken,
beef, etc).

Anyhoo.... the wife is thinking about giving our baby Yobaby yogurt,
or something like that, with DHA. And she was saying how it's good for
him, pediatrcian approved and all that.

But recently, my line of thinking has been leaning against dairy and
anything with cow's milk in it. Basically that we're not baby cows. I
was reading, and to me it makes sense, how all other species that are
raised on their mother's milk (puppies, kittens, etc.) once they are
weened no longer drink milk again, ever.

So what alternatives are there to make sure our son gets DHA and
calcium and all that he would normally get if we gave him cow's milk?

We're not vegans either. But if i could find a reasonable way to
replace cow's milk in our diets I would.

Old March 14th 08, 02:50 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

There's probably nothing wrong with cow's milk for most people, but if
you want to do without, it's not difficult.

With a 10-month old, your first choice is for the baby to be nursed. If
the baby is nursed, then he's getting the basic nutrients he needs.
Nursing (with decreasing frequency over time) is good for babies until
about age 5, which is when his immune system finishes maturing. (In the
industrialized world, most babies stop nursing well before then, and
that's fine too.)

If the baby is not being nursed, then he should be on formula until at
least 12 months of age. Your post says that he's getting soy formula,
which is FINE. (Is there a particular reason that he's not on milk
formula?)

I've never been sure what the big deal is about DHA. It may be
marginally more nutritious for infants, but it's sure not necessary.
What IS necessary is a healthy, well-balanced diet. That's what your
baby should be gradually moving towards.

The Western diet depends upon milk products for fluid, calcium and
protein. So just make sure your baby is getting those things in other
foods. The calcium, by the way, should be taken with vitamin D to be
sure it's absorbed properly.

It's easy to find other sources of fluid (water!) and protein (meat,
eggs, nuts ...) but calcium can be trickier. Bone-in canned fish,
enriched rice milk and soy products are all excellent sources of
calcium. There are others as well, but these are the top contenders.

You might find my web site helpful in coming up with healthy, milk-free
meals, and there are excellent cookbooks that cover the topic. But
really, I'd be more inclined to limit milk products in the diet than to
eliminate them completely (unless you're dealing with an allergy, of
course).

I hope these thoughts help,
--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old March 15th 08, 12:12 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Basically that we're not baby cows.

Nor are we baby soy beans. That statement really only has any value in a
cows milk based formula versus breastmilk debate. When it comes to
expanding a diet beyond weaning then you could come up with a whole lot
of random meaningless statements as to why we shouldn't eat a particular
food.

Anne
Old March 15th 08, 12:58 AM posted to misc.kids
Greegor

Meatnub:

Was the point to make the kid into a pain in the ass
with special dietary requirements?

When all the other kids have milk in school,
YOUR kid will be ever so special! LOL

Old March 15th 08, 10:37 AM posted to misc.kids
enigma

meatnub wrote in

ps.com:

We're not vegans either. But if i could find a reasonable
way to replace cow's milk in our diets I would.

well, Stonyfield also makes a Soy yogurt, if you prefer
soy... but humans weren't evolved to drink soy anymore than
they were to drink cow.
your wife sounds like she's getting sensible advice from the
pediatrician. humans have been using animal milk (cow, goat,
mare, yak, sheep) for thousands of years to make yogurt,
butter, cheese & just to drink.
why do you want to replace cow's milk in your diet? if you
don't have lactose intolerance, or milk protein allergy, why
would you want to eliminate butter, cheese, yogurt, sour
cream, etc? why do you want to make it impossible for your
child to eat birthday cake & ice cream at a party without
bringing his own, when you don't have to?
yes, you *could* eliminate dairy, but why bother, if there
are no allergies? kids can be notoriously picky eaters, so why
eliminate foods to start? cheese & yogurt are great toddler
foods.

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair