Options for bedrooms?

Old June 29th 06, 08:21 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Options for bedrooms?

This isn't too much of a concern just yet, but I'm just looking for some
opinions on our options that will be a concern in a few months...

Right now, we're maxed out with the bedrooms in the house. We also rent,
and we're not looking to move just yet. We have, so far, each child in
their own room, then we have the master bedroom. DD (11 months) has the
smallest room. DS (5) has the middle sized room. We have the biggest room.

We're now wondering where on earth we're going to put this next baby. To
start off, we plan to put her in a basinette in our room beside our bed.
That will hold off a couple months, anyways. We've then decided that the
only option, and obviously smartest thing to do, is put the girls together
in the same room. Makes a lot more sense than to put a girl with a boy. DD
and the baby will be 15 months apart in age, so they're close enough in age,
and of the same sex.

I was thinking that there's a good chance DD, at 15 months, will still be in
her crib. By 17-18 months, when this next baby is 2 or 3 months old,
there's still a good chance DD will be in her crib, but if not, her crib is
one that converts into a toddler bed. We do have a second crib, but even
with my wild imagination, I cannot think of any way that 2 babies will fit
in DD's current room. Our room is pretty big - but... We have a king sized
bed, 2 dressers and a TV on a stand in our room, with 1 bed side table. I
have my hope chest shoved into our closet. There's no way a crib will fit
in our room, and to be hoenst, I'm not at all interested in co-sleeping (had
issues with it with DS and just don't care to have baby room with us for
long) I can part with the TV in our room. I don't think DH and I can
manage with one or no dressers.

The only option we can think of as far as making this work is for us to
switch rooms with DD. DH and I would take the smallest bedroom, put DD and
this baby in the biggest room. Haven't measured yet, but I really don't
think our bed will fit in DD's room! Going out and buying a new bed really
isn't an option - it could be fairly costly, and our bed is in fine shape
and not that old, and the mattress we paid an arm and a leg for under 2
years ago. DH says our bed would fit (tight fit) in DD's room. Dressers,
he's not sure of. I do not want to have a home where there's dressers all
in hallways or in rooms that they don't really belong in (like keep one or
both dressers in what would be the babies' room. The closet in DD's room is
also a single closet, and it is fairly small. I thought maybe invest in a
wardrobe closet maybe for DH, use the closet for myself and look at finding
a smaller dresser for me that could fit in the small closet - I can easily
part with our current dressers, assuming we had something else for clothes.

So, basically, my question is... What do you think about this situation?
Switch rooms with the baby and put 2 babies in the big room or try and shove
2 cribs, change table, dressers, basically 2 babies in the smallest bedroom?
It would be a pain to change rooms, but probably less of a pain than having
absolutely no room for another baby. DS is NOT old enough that we'd trust
him to have a room in the basement, and I think renovating and making a room
in the basement would be the biggest pain ever.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Old June 29th 06, 08:31 PM posted to misc.kids

"Tori M" wrote in message
well the option not said that I could find is swap the lone son to the
smaller room and put the girls in the medium room.

Tori

Tori and Kathryn,

I was thinking the same thing exactly. Switch the 5 year old to the smallest
room, put the two girls in the medium sized room.

Cindi

Old June 29th 06, 09:07 PM posted to misc.kids

In article fLVog.89409$A8.28170@clgrps12, Kathryn says...

So, basically, my question is... What do you think about this situation?
Switch rooms with the baby and put 2 babies in the big room or try and shove
2 cribs, change table, dressers, basically 2 babies in the smallest bedroom?
It would be a pain to change rooms, but probably less of a pain than having
absolutely no room for another baby. DS is NOT old enough that we'd trust
him to have a room in the basement, and I think renovating and making a room
in the basement would be the biggest pain ever.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

I was thinking moving your boy into the smallest room and have the two girls in
the bedroom he's using now. Or did I miss something...

Banty

Old June 29th 06, 09:45 PM posted to misc.kids

"Kathryn" wrote:

[...]

Since DS will be the only one with a bedroom to himself, would it make
more sense to put him in the smallest bedroom and put the two girls in
the middle-sized room?

You'd be amazed at what can be managed if you are willing to be a bit
cramped: at one point, we had three kids in a VERY small bedroom: two
cribs head to head, one single bed, and a dresser/changing table in the
closet. Eventually, when the twins outgrew the cribs, we put in bunk
beds (the oldest was able to sleep in a top bunk.) Later, we did what
you are thinking about, and switched rooms: the three kids got the
master bedroom and DH and I managed to squeeze one queen sized bed and a
small dresser into the small bedroom -- but there was only about 12"
around the bed.

Remember, what you do now isn't permanent (especially since you are
renters). You can put the baby in with your son for now, for example
(gender isn't particularly an issue yet) and switch them later if that
makes more sense.

Old June 29th 06, 10:05 PM posted to misc.kids

Have you thought of putting your son in the smaller room and giving the
babies both the middle sized room.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03
Alex 6/4/05

Old June 29th 06, 10:51 PM posted to misc.kids

"C Thompson" wrote in message
. net...

"Tori M" wrote in message
well the option not said that I could find is swap the lone son to the
smaller room and put the girls in the medium room.

Tori

Tori and Kathryn,

I was thinking the same thing exactly. Switch the 5 year old to the
smallest room, put the two girls in the medium sized room.

Cindi

That was a thought I did have, actually, but I knocked that one off the
list... For a couple reasons...
First was that when we moved, DS was NOT wanting to move. He was 4 and a
half at the time, his room was always his room, and we really didn't have
any time to attempt to adjust and talk to him about moving across the city.
WE were given 1 week notice that our transfer application was accepted, and
we were offered this place and could take it or leave it, leaving it meant
we'd be back on a waiting list for who knows how long, and it would look bad
for us, as it could come across as what they offer us wasn't good enough.
I went alone with the kids to view the new place, and first bedroom we
walked in was DD's room, and I asked him what he thought of this room. He
said he didn't like it because the closet wasn't big enough for his toy box,
which he wanted in a closet. He suggested maybe his sister could have this
room. We then walked in his room, and he instantly said that he wanted THIS
room because he had a big, big closet, said where he wanted his bed. We
then, shortly after moving in, painted both the smaller bedrooms - DD's room
is a pale pink and pale purple, alternating on each wall, DS's room is dark
blue on the bottom, light blue on the top with the border he picked out. I
thought change the kids' rooms around, but I don't know how DS would take to
that - all of a sudden getting forced out of his room that he picked and
kind of decorated to his liking, and his room isn't all that much bigger -
just a different shape, and a bit bigger.
DD's room also faces the back yard. DS's faces the front. The activity of
other kids isn't in the front, as ahead of our front lawn is another row of
houses. The back has a little field, common area, and I think we're the
only ones who insist on the kids being in bed at a reasonable time. Yes, I
have seen small children - 4, 5, 6 years old - wandering around playing at
10 at night. DS tends to be drawn to his window when there's kids out.

Old June 29th 06, 10:56 PM posted to misc.kids

Other then the window issue, wich I dont know how to solve, sometimes as a
grown up you get to decide things that the kids dont like or want. You
decide if they get shots, stitches, go to school, what they wear what they
play with and yes even what room they sleep in.

Tori
"Kathryn" wrote in message

"C Thompson" wrote in message
. net...

Old June 29th 06, 11:07 PM posted to misc.kids

"Tori M" wrote:

Other then the window issue, wich I dont know how to solve, sometimes as a
grown up you get to decide things that the kids dont like or want. You
decide if they get shots, stitches, go to school, what they wear what they
play with and yes even what room they sleep in.

Tori

As far as the window - you could put up a screen outside the window
(moveable) or you could put roman shades which would latch down at the
bottom.

I suggest giving him a choice. Move to the smaller room and repaint
it, or have the baby in with him. Because that way he has some
control.

"Kathryn" wrote in message
> [...]

"C Thompson" wrote in message
. net...

Old June 29th 06, 11:18 PM posted to misc.kids

In article RXXog.103827$S61.76459@edtnps90,
"Kathryn" wrote:

I was thinking the same thing exactly. Switch the 5 year old to the
smallest room, put the two girls in the medium sized room.

Cindi

That was a thought I did have, actually, but I knocked that one off the
list... For a couple reasons...

He's old enough to offer him a choice: switch rooms with his sister, or
have the baby share the room with him. And he's old enough to
understand the reasons: the room he has is big enough for two people,
his sister's room isn't.

Actually, it might work out well (better, maybe) to have a five year old
share a room with the baby. And there really isn't a problem with kids
this age sharing a room with a sibling of the same gender.

My own kids shared a room until they were 8 and 11 (two girls and a
boy); that was definately pushing the limits, but they were OK with it
-- and when we moved to a bigger house, I frequently found the two 8
yo's (boy and girl) in the same room.)