What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

Old December 11th 03, 01:00 AM

Default What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

I am having sons circumcision tomorrow. I had one other question.
They do not use pain killer because of swelling, is there something that the
doc can use that will not swell. I heard of a cream that they can put on to
minimize pain.

Also, why is it best practice to NOT do circumcision. I figure since my
first son is circ. I should have 2nd son also. I know they are doing the
circs now but taking less foreskin off.

I am in US.

Thanks again in advance

Old December 11th 03, 01:46 AM
ChrisScaife

Dear Tanya,
In anglo-saxon countries circumcision is frowned upon.

Our religion teaches that God created us in his own image. To change it is
to criticise God.
Our science teaches that we evolved to survive and all parts of us have a
purpose, even if we do not understand them.
Personaly I believe that circumcision... no that doesn't matter what I
beleieve, I have no statistcs to back it up...
All I can say, If you are not a "Troll", please do not have your son
circumcised.

et...

Old December 11th 03, 01:52 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Your baby should have both a topical anaesthetic (such as a spray) and
an ingested anaesthetic, whatever the doctor thinks is safe for such a
small baby. Probably tylenol. There's no reason whatsoever to perform
a circumcision without pain relief. Also be prepared for your baby to
nurse or take a bottle immediately after the procedure. (Food is very
calming.)

Whether to have the circumcision done or not is up to you, as parents.
Do what you think is best for your child.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 11th 03, 01:57 AM

The doc said they don't usually give the baby any anaesthetic. Is there
something I can buy over the counter and bring?

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi -

Your baby should have both a topical anaesthetic (such as a spray) and
an ingested anaesthetic, whatever the doctor thinks is safe for such a
small baby. Probably tylenol. There's no reason whatsoever to perform
a circumcision without pain relief. Also be prepared for your baby to
nurse or take a bottle immediately after the procedure. (Food is very
calming.)

Whether to have the circumcision done or not is up to you, as parents.
Do what you think is best for your child.

--Beth Kevles

http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the

milk-allergic

like me to reply.

Old December 11th 03, 04:33 AM
ChrisScaife

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message
Whether to have the circumcision done or not is up to you, as parents.
Do what you think is best for your child.

I saw a TV program where a "routine cicumcision" was "cocked up" (pardon the
pun)...
They decided to turn one of the twin boys into a girl...
30 Years later he had his sex changed back. I think he now has a wife... but
no children.

In later life children may resent the mutilations inficted upon them.

P.S. This isn't another one of those "mother knows best, don't let any *man*
tell you how to raise your children" threads is it ?

Old December 11th 03, 05:17 AM
PF Riley

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:46:57 +1300, "ChrisScaife"
wrote:

Dear Tanya,
In anglo-saxon countries circumcision is frowned upon.

Our religion teaches that God created us in his own image. To change it is
to criticise God.

Just curious... do you believe that God has a penis?

Our science teaches that we evolved to survive and all parts of us have a
purpose, even if we do not understand them.

We evolved to survive, not to thrive. Put down that cheeseburger!

PF
Old December 12th 03, 02:34 PM
Jeridiah

In anglo-saxon countries circumcision is frowned upon.

Our religion teaches that God created us in his own image. To change it is
to criticise God.

Not so sure about that. Read Gen 17:11-12.

I have actually been struggling with this same decision. We are
expecting a son. I am not circumcized, and as you have stated, it is
generally frowned upon in the US.

There are claims of some medical benefits, actually for the women.
There is a MUCH lower incidence of cervical cancer for women in
cultures of circumcision.

There is not a real good reason for the men themselves to be
circumcized, other than religous.

Jeridiah
Old December 15th 03, 12:12 AM
Neal

On 12 Dec 2003 06:34:06 -0800, (Jeridiah) wrote:

There are claims of some medical benefits, actually for the women.
There is a MUCH lower incidence of cervical cancer for women in
cultures of circumcision.

Citations, please?

There was a study in the late 40s or early 50s that found that women
with uncircumcised husbands had a higher rate of cervical cancer that
the wives of circumcised men. But as soon as it was published, it was
widely criticized for the method used of determining the circumcision
status of the men - they had asked the women. They went back and
examined the men, corrected the figures, and discovered that there was
no correlation between circumcision status and cervical cancer. But
of course the original publication made much more of an impact than
the subsequent correction.

On the American Cancer Society page about the causes and prevention of
cervical cancer,
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/co....asp?sitearea=
there is no mention of circumcision.

Now there has been a recent study from Spain that supposedly shows
that the wives of circumcised men have a lower rate of cervical
cancer. I believe that within about two years this study will get
blown out of the water. The problem is, that virtually every
circumcised man in Spain is Moslem. With the religion comes an
obsession with cleanliness. When the figures are corrected to take
into account the confounding factor of religion, they will get the
same results in Spain as they get in the US - circumcision does not
make a difference.

--
Neal

Note: To contact, unmunge and remove the " from the address