What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

Old December 12th 03, 02:36 AM
CBI

Default What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

"Daye" wrote in message

I know many mothers who have done it for the same reason that they
circ'ed their sons: They don't remember the pain.

The reason my wife did it to my daughter was so that she would get used to
them before she had the motor skills to tug at them and so not bother with
them when she did. It seems to have worked in her case. She regularly wears
them and almost never pays them any heed (and never losses them or had
infections etc).

--
CBI, MD

Old December 12th 03, 03:52 AM
PF Riley

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:19:08 GMT, "CBI" wrote:

As for female circs - I think that is mixing apples with organges
(or.....no, won't go there).

Bananas and donuts?

PF
Old December 12th 03, 03:58 AM
Tai

Tom wrote:
Two points about thinking an uncircumsized penis is 'unattractive'.

1) An uncircumsized penis can easily be trained to look like a
circumsized one by pulling back the foreskin regularly (on a child
over 10). I know this because I've got a penis that looks circumsized
but isn't. 2) Would you find an uncircumsized vagina 'unattractive'?

Quite frankly penises are most interesting when they're erect, ready for
action and attached to someone I want to have sex with. I have a preference
for the normal kind but they're all rather beautiful at that point.

Tai

Old December 12th 03, 04:21 AM
Mark

"T" wrote in message . net...
I am having sons circumcision tomorrow. I had one other question.
They do not use pain killer because of swelling,

Bull****. They don't use anesthesia because some idiot during their
training told them that it isn't necessary. After you've done circs
on both anesthetized and unanesthetized boys, you can readily see what
an effect it can have if you decide to skip the lidocaine.

The swelling line is a bunch of bull. Tell the doctor who is
intending to do your son's circ that a pediatrician told you that it's
stupid to do it without anesthesia. (bear in mind, of course, that
you have no way to verify that I'm actually a pediatrician, and you
should take what I [or anyone else on a newsgroup] have to tell you in
the way of medical advice with a grain of salt.)

is there something that the
doc can use that will not swell. I heard of a cream that they can put on to
minimize pain.

EMLA ("eutectic mixture of lidocaine and epinepherine") is the wrong
thing to use, in my opinion. You don't want to use epi on a
digit-type appendage because it constricts blood vessels and can
starve the said digit of blood flow.

Also, why is it best practice to NOT do circumcision. I figure since my
first son is circ. I should have 2nd son also. I know they are doing the
circs now but taking less foreskin off.

I'm not so sure it's some kind of nationwide trend to take less off.
Some docs take off more (or less) than other docs.

I am in US.

Thanks again in advance

Mark, MD (pediatrician)
Old December 12th 03, 04:24 AM
Chotii

wrote in message
Adults and older children generally don;t have specific memories of
infancy - painful or otherwise. But it is hard to believe that the
experiences aren't affecting later perceptions and attitudes. In fact,

there
is ample evidence that painful experiences in the neonatal period affect
pain perceptions in later infancy.

--
CBI, MD

IN what way are their perceptions affected?

My daughter had two open heart surgeries and two caths and many IV's as an

infant.

Well, one of my ID twins had IVs and NG tube (birth - 3 months for IVs, up
to 6 months for NG tube) open heart surgery (4 months), stomach surgery (18
months), and the placement of a gastrostomy tube for feeding as an infant (6
months), up to the age of 18 months. She certainly had a great number of
necessary but very painful procedures inflicted on her helpless, defenseless
body as a newborn. We think it's made her more likely to react to any pain
with out-of-proportion distress. Of my 4 children, she is the one who simply
cannot deal with what seems to be minor discomforts. She is the one who
moans, cries, shrieks....to the point where we find it hard to respond to
her, in a 'boy who cried wolf' sort of way. Maybe it's just personality
differences, but we have no way to know.

--angela

Old December 12th 03, 05:12 AM
Carol Ann

::: I personally would circumcise my son (if I had one) AND I would ask for
them
::: to lessen the pain during and after the procedure.
:::
::: I find an uncircumcised penis quite unattractive.
::
:: Since you wouldn't be having sex with your son, why do you need to find
:: his penis attractive?

I don't see how you could ask such a silly question. I would want my child
to be as attractive and "normal" as possible. I have not met one woman
personally who found an uncircumsized penis attractive. On the contrary,
they found it a turn off.

Having said that, perhaps a better reason for me to use for having the
procedure done would be to prevent chronic urethral infections. Without
high hygiene maintenance this is a common occurrence.

Additionally, I think it would be far more painful for him if he had to do
it as an adult.

IMHO, YMMV, yada, yada, yada..

~Carol Ann

~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge

Old December 12th 03, 06:33 AM
C&J

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
[...]

I have to totally agree with you Carol Ann. I have also yet to meet a women
and a man personally that find an uncircumcised penis attractive. I do know
a couple of grown men that did have to get circumcised later in life and
they had wished that their parents would have done it when they were babies.
Also not one of them said there was a difference in sexual pleasure. As a
matter of fact when I brought up what many of the Anti-Circumcision Nazis
say in here (I guess I could have just said people) about it being torture
and traumatizing you know yada, yada, yada. They seem to think that they
are full of you know. That having to have it done later in life is
traumatizing and that it is all in their head. They cracked up when one of
them brought up some article that they had read about a bunch men (well they
didn't call them
men) wanting their foreskin back. My dads friend (one of the men that got a
circ. about 2 years ago) said that he would be more then happy to have let
one of them have his and that he didn't miss it and he sure as hell wouldn't
want it back. They all seem to agree that these men that come up with this
stuff about wanting their foreskin back have way to much time on their
hands. They they all asked where the hell I am reading all this *ull S***
from. And my DH went on to tell them that I find the strangest people
online. LOL........little does he know that many consider me strange
because I am Pro-Circumcision (I guess that is what it would be called) and
I had my daughters ears so called mutilated (pierced) the day we brought her
home from the hospital. And she didn't even budge, heck she didn't even
wake up.

Crystal
37 weeks 6 days & counting!!

Old December 12th 03, 06:41 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Carol Ann wrote:

I don't see how you could ask such a silly question. I would want my child
to be as attractive and "normal" as possible. I have not met one woman
personally who found an uncircumsized penis attractive. On the contrary,
they found it a turn off.

I find scar tissue a turn off, and I haven't seen one circ'd penis that
didn't have some scar tissue.

Having said that, perhaps a better reason for me to use for having the
procedure done would be to prevent chronic urethral infections. Without
high hygiene maintenance this is a common occurrence.

While I would definitely term my DH high maintenance (lol) his penis is
not. He has never had a urethral or urinary infection in his entire life.

Old December 12th 03, 07:04 AM
iphigenia

Carol Ann wrote:

I don't see how you could ask such a silly question. I would want my
child to be as attractive and "normal" as possible. I have not met
one woman personally who found an uncircumsized penis attractive. On
the contrary, they found it a turn off.

Perhaps you should get out of the US more, if you need to personally meet
these people. In Europe, pretty well no one is circed. From what I hear
about Amsterdam alone, there's no shortage of sex in Europe.

Maybe you should let your own child decide if he wants to lop off part of
his anatomy so he can conform with the dwindling majority in the US that's
circed.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old December 12th 03, 07:07 AM
iphigenia

Daye wrote:

Example, Mom wanted the child circed. For whatever reason, it doesn't
happen. Child has a foreskin. Mom thinks that it is ugly and it
doesn't look right. She may make comments to that fact or she just
may treat that area of his body like it is wrong. Child hears the
comments or picks up on the fact that Mom thinks his genitals are
wrong. He then starts to believe that his penis is wrong and ugly.
His self esteem and his body image are affected.

IMO that is one f*cked up mother, and I rather think that her opinion of her
child's genitals is probably going to be only ONE of the problems in her
relationship with her son.