Drat-- panic attack possible today.

Old February 28th 04, 07:44 PM
Jill

Default Drat-- panic attack possible today.

Let me say again, drat!!! I had one full blown panic attack in this
pregnancy several weeks ago, and that's it but have spent the entire
pregnancy fearing one since in the first trimester I experienced some
attacks of shortness of breath/rapid heartbeat/adrenaline rush.

Today is definitely an off day. I was up all night last night tossing and
turning unable to sleep. For the past 2 days my sinuses have been stopped
up. And, I have felt vaguely anxious/tense/wired for a couple of days,
nauseaous, unable to relax. Must be hormones, but all the above is a warning
combo for me to know potentially that it could trigger a panic attack (from
experience)- it also could mean nothing. I also woke up today (well, 11 am
or so)with a pretty bad headache bordering on achieving migraine status.
This has been rare during pregnancy. So something is definitely going on
with my body/hormones or something today.

I have been aware of it all day, like "D*mn, I feel sort of
pre-panic-attacky..."...knowing this, I have been breathing deeply and
slowly, counting cats, resting so as not to get my heart rate up, and being
very careful to drink only water and watch what I eat- limit sugar, no
caffeine, no chocolate, etc. Also being aware that I feel sort of wired, I
have made sure not to take Sudafed for my sinuses since it can make me
nervous. Mainly I am trying to do yoga breathing and think only of relaxing
things, etc.

Still, in the past hour I feel that familiar feeling like my adrenaline
level is starting to rise (the feeling, whether it actually is..?)...I am
getting ready to try to take a nap to escape, and I am even making sure to
take it propped up since this seems to reduce my waking up in a panic
feeling like I can't breathe or am smothering. I am covering all the bases
but it doesn't seem to be working I feel so hopeless, I HATE every feeling
associated with a panic attack soo bad.

I really pray that I don't have one, I fear the whole experience, they are
so terrible. My husband is gone for the day so I am alone, not that it
really helps having someone with me when I do have one....

This is frustrating. My headache is pretty bad and actually my sinuses are
too and I've been sneezing...I really think there is a connection to my
symptoms, because my headaches and panic attacks often correlate to
allergy/hay fever type symptoms...just merely not being able to breathe
seems to make my heart speed up. And when I can't breathe or breathe well, I
tend to get headaches- I think if they put an oxygen tank on me with just a
little dose of fresh oxygen, it would ease my headache!

Anyway....grr.....just venting. It's like a pending doom, to recognize the
symptoms that I know are approaching a panic episode....the good thing is I
am trying to get ready , mentally.....the full blown attack I had came out
of nowhere, when I jerked awake from a sound sleep and was already in panic
and it was too late to think. At least now I am already starting to think it
through and assure myself that it won't hurt me, that I can make it stop
etc.....

Old February 28th 04, 10:02 PM
Carol Ann

: Anyway....grr.....just venting. It's like a pending doom, to recognize the
: symptoms that I know are approaching a panic episode....the good thing is
: am trying to get ready , mentally.....the full blown attack I had came out
: of nowhere, when I jerked awake from a sound sleep and was already in
panic
: and it was too late to think. At least now I am already starting to think
it
: through and assure myself that it won't hurt me, that I can make it stop
: etc.....

Damn, woman, I almost had an attack reading your post! LOL! How are you
now??? Whew! Deep breathing for me, too!!

~Carol Ann

Old February 29th 04, 01:11 AM
Jill

"Carol Ann" wrote
Damn, woman, I almost had an attack reading your post! LOL! How are you
now??? Whew! Deep breathing for me, too!!

It never came on! I was able to lie down and doze off and feel better! I
still have a semi-headache but THAT is no big deal!

Lol.
Jill (knock on wood for next time!)

Old February 29th 04, 01:14 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Jill wrote:

It never came on! I was able to lie down and doze off and feel better! I
still have a semi-headache but THAT is no big deal!

Lol.
Jill (knock on wood for next time!)

Yay!

It's good that you have warning signs and can take steps to prevent it.
I'm glad that you were able to prevent it this time, hopefully it won't
threaten you again any time soon!

Old February 29th 04, 01:34 AM
Auntie Bubbles

"Jill" wrote in message
. com...

"Carol Ann" wrote
Damn, woman, I almost had an attack reading your post! LOL! How are

you
now??? Whew! Deep breathing for me, too!!

It never came on! I was able to lie down and doze off and feel better! I
still have a semi-headache but THAT is no big deal!

Lol.
Jill (knock on wood for next time!)

Jill,
I'm glad you got through the day. I wonder if
being aware of your symptoms and what may happen helped you to avoid the
panic attack?
Cheers,
Alexis

Old February 29th 04, 02:45 AM
Jill

"Auntie Bubbles" wrote
Jill,
I'm glad you got through the day. I wonder if
being aware of your symptoms and what may happen helped you to avoid the
panic attack?
Cheers,
Alexis

It definitely lets me know to avoid caffeine, sudafed and other things that
don't normally bother me but could make me edgier. And lets me know that now
is not the time to increase my heart rate, or dust the house for example
(which will stop my sinuses up worse)!

I think the worst panic attacks I have are the ones that just came out of
the blue, no warning.