formula taste a threat??

Old July 24th 03, 03:02 AM
iphigenia

Default formula taste a threat??

ted wrote:
I heard it somewhere that once baby tastes formula he/she is more
likely to refuse mom's milk because the formula some how suits their
palate?

Never heard that. All I've ever heard of as being a problem is the nipple
preference issue.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old July 24th 03, 03:13 AM
Sue

I think it's the bottle and not the formula. It is easier to get the milk
out of a bottle than it can be out of the breast.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

ted wrote in message
om...
I heard it somewhere that once baby tastes formula he/she is more
likely to refuse mom's milk because the formula some how suits their
palate? AFAIK breastmilk tastes whole lot better. Has anyone
experienced this problem or do you know if there's any truth in this
at all? If the baby needs to be supplemented for a few days, is things
going to be a threat?

Thanks.

Old July 24th 03, 03:55 AM
Ducky Lawyer

ted wrote:
I heard it somewhere that once baby tastes formula he/she is more
likely to refuse mom's milk because the formula some how suits their
palate? AFAIK breastmilk tastes whole lot better. Has anyone
experienced this problem or do you know if there's any truth in this
at all?

I've never heard this - (about baby preference) it sounds awfully like
an old wife's tale to me! In fact, I believe all the combi fed babies I
know did prefer breastmilk to formula...
If the baby needs to be supplemented for a few days, is things
going to be a threat?

I'd doubt taste is likely to be a 'threat' -- the main concern is
keeping the supply up while supplementing. I understand that often a
little supplementing often adds to a downward spiralling, so that more
supplementation is required becaus less milk is being produced which
requires more supplementation, etc., etc...so that's the real concern.

That said, I know of a lot of babies who were supplemented with formula
for whatever reason and were able to either stqart or regain a healthy
breastfeeding relationship without a problem. (Technically, that
includes my twins. I had serious complications after delivery, and
couldn't even see my girls much in the first two days, so they got
formula by nasal tube until I could handle them and my health again.
Believe me, I fought as hard as I could to BF them, and got them atleast
combifed in the first 24 hours but my condition was more serious than
the use of formula...hence the supplementation. I'm just so glad that
it's SOP in my hospital to use nasal feeding tubes in the NICU; no
chance of bottle preference or nipple confusion.)'

My girls only received a handful of feedings (less than a dozen?) in the
NICU so I doubt they'd "remember" what formula tastes like, thankfully!
HTH,
Barbara

Old July 25th 03, 12:11 AM
calliaz

ted wrote:

I heard it somewhere that once baby tastes formula he/she is more
likely to refuse mom's milk because the formula some how suits their
palate? AFAIK breastmilk tastes whole lot better. Has anyone
experienced this problem or do you know if there's any truth in this
at all? If the baby needs to be supplemented for a few days, is things
going to be a threat?

Thanks.

My combifed little guy vastly prefers the taste of breast
milk. Our IBCLC thought it was patently obvious when she
observed him--enough that we almost needed to have banked
milk prescribed. Using the SNS, he was fine until she
started the flow of formula and he pulled off with a nasty
face.

Jennifer in Tempe