moving away from co-sleeping

Old January 31st 08, 09:34 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

Default moving away from co-sleeping

I want our 2yo, who has always slept next to his mother, to sleep in a
crib in our room. Any suggestions on how to make him less resistant to
this?
Old February 1st 08, 01:05 AM posted to misc.kids
Zipadee

On Jan 31, 4:34 pm, Beliavsky wrote:
I want our 2yo, who has always slept next to his mother, to sleep in a
crib in our room. Any suggestions on how to make him less resistant to
this?

If the issue is just getting him out of your bed but you're still
willing to have him in the room (as it appears you are), why
not get him a bed of his own (regular or toddler) and put it
next to yours? Do you have particular reasons for wanting
him in a crib when he hasn't been in one? What problem
are you trying to solve here?

Whatever you want to move him to, let him go with you
to the store to pick out any new things needed - pillow,
sheets, etc, that are only to be used in the new bed/crib.

-- Zip
Old February 1st 08, 06:56 AM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Jan 31, 4:34�pm, Beliavsky wrote:
I want our 2yo, who has always slept next to his mother, to sleep in a
crib in our room. Any suggestions on how to make him less resistant to
this?

I'm assuming he must have shown some resitance to it thus
far.....cribs with full rails all around could probably be really
intimidating to one who has never experienced them. Might even relay
the separation message moreso than you'd like I'm guessing. If this is
the case, then I would probably target a crib that converts into a
toddler daybed and regular toddler bed eventually and take baby steps.
If you don't have one, they can be expensive though (the last time I
remember seeing prices on them). Regular toddler beds aren't that
expensive and can be placed against a wall and butted up against your
bed so he is still right next to you. I imagine this setup resembling
more of an appendage of your regular bed that way and less of a
perceived threat. (just me trying to think like a 2-y/o. lol)
Old February 1st 08, 01:28 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

My daughter moved to a regular toddler bed at about age 2, so I don't know
that you couldn't just skip the crib step entirely.

Old February 1st 08, 01:52 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby

Chris wrote:
[...]

I'd second this - I don't see a reason to introduce a crib at age 2.
Besides the reasons listed above, is the child likely to be a climber?
My son slept in a crib until he was 2.5 and never tried to get out.
We moved my daughter out of her crib when she was about 1.5, because she
was determined to climb out. It was obvious it was just a matter of (a
very short) time before she succeeded, and I didn't want her falling on
her head or breaking an arm.

Clisby
Old February 1st 08, 03:07 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Clisby says...

Chris wrote:
[...]

It can also help to fix up the kid's room with fresh paint and items of decor,
and make a big celebration of moving there.

Banty

Old February 1st 08, 04:21 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Clisby wrote:

Chris wrote:
[...]

DD#1 climbed out of her crib for the first and only time when I was in
labor with DD#2. She was 25 months at the time. I'm assuming that
she could all along, but just didn't. DD#2 was in a Dennis-Brown
splint and couldn't climb.

I don't remember with DD#3, but I know DS climbed out of his crib,
went out the back sliding door, down into the yard, out the gate,
around to the front of the house where he drew on the red van with
black magic marker and then reversed the process (closing the gate and
door) and climbed back into the crib when he was 22 months.

I also had them in playpens when they were little, but I didn't worry
about them breaking anything or falling on their heads because kids do
fall. None of mine ever had that kind of problem.

I had a friend who had a climber. We saw him once climb up on a full
size locomotive (in Dennis the Menace park in Monterey CA), and get up
on the top, and walked along the top (Harrison Ford style) and climbed
down the front and over the cow catcher. He was 3 at the time and was
not hurt - then. But when I went to visit her later when he was 9, he
had his arm in a cast where he had broken it by trying to walk along
the porch railing.

What I'm saying is - falling out of bed isn't that big a deal usually.
Old February 1st 08, 05:56 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Clisby says...

Chris wrote:
[...]

Thomas the Tank engine bedding helped us!

Old February 1st 08, 09:27 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby

Rosalie B. wrote:
Clisby wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

Sure, but falling off a regular bed and falling from the much higher
height of a crib rail are two different things. I never worried about
the first, but I did about the 2nd.

Clisby
Old February 1st 08, 11:22 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 16:27:19 -0500, Clisby wrote:

Sure, but falling off a regular bed and falling from the much higher
height of a crib rail are two different things. I never worried about
the first, but I did about the 2nd.

Clisby

And it's not just how high it is, either. How they fall is important and
not something you can control. DS fell climbing over a baby gate onto
carpet. The gate is lower than many beds He broke his arm.

Moving on, moving up wexwimpy Foster Parents 0 May 30th 06 02:00 PM
co-sleeping to solo-sleeping jojo General 11 January 13th 05 11:45 PM
We are moving! Tori M. Pregnancy 8 December 6th 04 08:46 PM
peer reviewed research on co-sleeping (it's more dangerous than cot-sleeping) Joshua Levy General 1 December 10th 03 05:27 AM
Moving, moving, moving Herself Breastfeeding 2 September 17th 03 02:17 AM