Ideas on paint for kids room

Old February 11th 08, 03:47 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default Ideas on paint for kids room

I have two girls, preschool aged. Currently, their room doesn't have
any furniture. We're going to buy a trundle bed (probably white sleigh
bed design). We are also thinking of painting their room. Can anyone
please give me ideas on the paint color, theme etc? My DD1 (5 yo next
month) is very girly and likes all things pink and purple. DD2 (3.5)
is a tom boy but she loves her sister and respects her choices (for
now, anyway).

They will share this room. I may add a hand-me-down dresser which I'll
paint white to match the bed. Apart from that, they have toy chest,
toy organizer and a book case in the room.

I would like to hear how you decorated your kids' rooms. Thanks.
Old February 11th 08, 04:02 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Kids' ideas about what they like change. I'd go for wall and trim
colors that are neutral enough to go with many different things. If the
room is small, a pale yellow with white trim will brighten it up, of
it's large, consider pale blue with white trim.

The advantage of NOT putting pink on the walls and trim is that you can
then get curtains, sheets, rugs, etc. in various shades of pink (or not)
that won't clash. And these are things that are pretty easy to change
as the kids' tastes change.

Have fun decorating!
--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old February 11th 08, 04:24 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

wrote in

oups.com:

I would like to hear how you decorated your kids' rooms.
Thanks.

i have a boy, but i'd do the same for a girl (note: i detest
pink & would steer any kid away from that). i also dislike
"theme rooms" because kids outgrow things quickly.
i let Boo choose the paint colors for his room, reminding him
that his loft bed is a navy blue & the paint should go with
that. he chose a soft midrange grey for the walls, with an off
white for the trim (we have *lots* of trim. his room has 3
doors, 4 windows, a closet & a fireplace) & a pale blue for
the ceiling (a very faint blue tinged white). his bookcases
are chalkboard paint (dark grey) on the outsides & the
interiors/shelves are glow-in-the-dark paint. i'm also using
magnetic primer on the panels of the doors (& possibly on the
board closing off the fireplace). i'll probably add glow-in-
the-dark details to some of the trim as well.
unless you enjoy redecorating, i'd stick with basic or
classic wall colors & use cheaper bedspreads, rugs, etc. to
make it 'little girly', or since one of your girls isn't so
'girly', keep the whole room more basic/classic. unless the
room is exceptionally tiny (8'x 8' or less), don't be afraid
of darker colors. they can make the room much cozier looking.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old February 11th 08, 04:26 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

We went with a soft blue for DD's room, with white furniture. My nursery
theme was fairly bright and one which works for both boys and girls, but as
she moves into a more "frilly" stage, the blue and white still work with the
pinks and purples she's starting to prefer.

Old February 11th 08, 04:52 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Beth Kevles
says...

Hi --

Kids' ideas about what they like change. I'd go for wall and trim
colors that are neutral enough to go with many different things. If the
room is small, a pale yellow with white trim will brighten it up, of
it's large, consider pale blue with white trim.

The advantage of NOT putting pink on the walls and trim is that you can
then get curtains, sheets, rugs, etc. in various shades of pink (or not)
that won't clash. And these are things that are pretty easy to change
as the kids' tastes change.

I think these are great ideas, inculding the wall colors as background to what
the girls decide, each individually for their part of the room. Even if the
tomboy is willing to go along with her older sister now, that may change and I'd
want to foster her as an individual anyway. I don't think anything is wrong
with pink; it's just that a pink room can overwhelm what the other girl may
want.

Banty

Old February 11th 08, 05:24 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Donna Metler" wrote in
:

We went with a soft blue for DD's room, with white
furniture. My nursery theme was fairly bright and one which
works for both boys and girls, but as she moves into a more
"frilly" stage, the blue and white still work with the
pinks and purples she's starting to prefer.

yup. but not all girls get into frilly, either. my room
growing up (when i had my own room & wasn't with my brother)
was yellow, with natural woodwork.
when i got too old to share with my brother, my new room
(different house) was 'French Vanilla', a pale yellow. yellows
go with lots of colors, but probably not pink so much
i like yellows & lavenders/purples, but i think my room now
will be some shade of grey or green when i get to decorating
it... anything has to be better than the pinkish brown it
currently is (came with a violently orange shag carpet. ew)
lee
Old February 11th 08, 05:26 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Feb 11, 10:24 am, enigma wrote:
wrote
oups.com:

[...]

Thanks for everyone's ideas.
We wont' be painting the trim or the ceiling. It's already white and
we'll just leave it like that.
I really like the idea of avoiding pink on the walls. It gets very
tiring after a while.

(off topic: I don't prefer pink but can tolerate it. What I despise
are those awful (toy) ponies that have pink mane. I know they are just
toys but..blechh. )
Old February 11th 08, 06:01 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

wrote:

I have two girls, preschool aged. Currently, their room doesn't have
any furniture. We're going to buy a trundle bed (probably white sleigh
bed design). We are also thinking of painting their room. Can anyone
please give me ideas on the paint color, theme etc? My DD1 (5 yo next
month) is very girly and likes all things pink and purple. DD2 (3.5)
is a tom boy but she loves her sister and respects her choices (for
now, anyway).

They will share this room. I may add a hand-me-down dresser which I'll
paint white to match the bed. Apart from that, they have toy chest,
toy organizer and a book case in the room.

I would like to hear how you decorated your kids' rooms. Thanks.

I don't remember being given an input into my room decor until we
moved when I was 12 and each of us had our own rooms. I wanted the
limed oak bunk beds and I picked deep fairly saturated aqua blue with
white trip and white dresser and desk for my room. Bookcases were
painted to match the walls. My sister picked a lighter shade of blue
and she got all new mahogany furniture.

As a matter of interest, when I went to sell my mom's house this past
year, we repainted some of the rooms, and the aqua in my room took
several coats to cover.

When I went to decorate my kids' rooms at various stages, I would
sometimes pick a fabric for the bedspread and curtains, and paint the
walls a color from that fabric. When the kids were 4th grade, 2nd
grade and age 3, I got a fabric with deer and trees for the older one,
and a safari (antelope and lions) for the other one. I don't remember
whether I gave them any input or not. The baby got Peter Rabbit type
fabric. When we moved, dd#3 got the deer (and I found wallpaper of
that pattern too) and DS got airplane wall paper and primary colors
for the bookcases and dressers ( they were unpainted furniture).

My dd#3 has decorated her children's rooms - she has painted a
baseball diamond in her son's room
http://cache.virtualtourist.com/2389...of_America.jpg

Her dd#1 is a very girly girl who likes purple and pink, and when the
baby was born, she moved downstairs to the guest room and her room is
painted in accordance with her wishes. Walls purple, curtains shades
of pink. Her other grandmother and I painted castles on the valences
over her window and at the head of the bed. [I got my castle by
taking a picture I had taken of Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disney
world, and stretching it out horizontal by altering the parameters of
the photo]. We used styrofoam for the headboard valence so that if it
fell on her it wouldn't hurt her.

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/2619...ing-Frisco.jpg