Spring water and formula

Old January 22nd 04, 05:49 AM
Tig

Default Spring water and formula

Ive been using spring water for my sons formula... but a friend of mine just
told me thats a big no-no. Has anyone else heard that? And if so, whys that?
I use it only because our water is terrible here... no one trusts it. And I
dont want to risk my sons health with it either.
I have a water cooler with the big jugs of water, and use that...

Sara
Mom to Daniel, November 28th, 2003

Old January 22nd 04, 10:41 AM
Clisby

Tig wrote:
Ive been using spring water for my sons formula... but a friend of mine just
told me thats a big no-no. Has anyone else heard that? And if so, whys that?
I use it only because our water is terrible here... no one trusts it. And I
dont want to risk my sons health with it either.
I have a water cooler with the big jugs of water, and use that...

Sara
Mom to Daniel, November 28th, 2003

I'd never heard of that being a problem - but that doesn't prove
anything. Did your friend say why it's a no-no?

Clisby

Old January 22nd 04, 02:47 PM
Sophie

"Tig" wrote in message
. ..
Ive been using spring water for my sons formula... but a friend of mine

just
told me thats a big no-no. Has anyone else heard that? And if so, whys

that?
I use it only because our water is terrible here... no one trusts it. And

dont want to risk my sons health with it either.
I have a water cooler with the big jugs of water, and use that...

Sara
Mom to Daniel, November 28th, 2003

I've never heard of that being a bad thing to do.

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old January 22nd 04, 03:13 PM
Sue

Tig wrote in message
. ..
Ive been using spring water for my sons formula... but a friend of mine
just told me thats a big no-no. Has anyone else heard that?

The only potential problem with it is that there is no fluroide in it.
However, some of the bottled waters are now containing fluoride. Now
drinking fluroide in the water is controversial enough, but at some point
you will need to either have fluriode treatments on the child or be prepared
for heavy dental bills ;o) Most likely a dentist will be able to steer you
in the right direction.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 22nd 04, 04:23 PM
Marty Billingsley

In article ,
Sue wrote:
Tig wrote in message
Ive been using spring water for my sons formula... but a friend of mine
just told me thats a big no-no. Has anyone else heard that?

The only potential problem with it is that there is no fluroide in it.
However, some of the bottled waters are now containing fluoride. Now
drinking fluroide in the water is controversial enough, but at some point
you will need to either have fluriode treatments on the child or be prepared
for heavy dental bills ;o) Most likely a dentist will be able to steer you
in the right direction.

Our local grocery stores carry "nursery water", which I think is
basically distilled water with flouride. Intended for mixing up
formula. Same price or cheaper than spring water, comes in gallon
jugs. Might give that a try if you're worried.

- marty
(mom to alex & andie, almost 3)
Old January 22nd 04, 06:05 PM
Melissa

"Tig" wrote ...
Ive been using spring water for my sons formula... but a friend of mine

just
told me thats a big no-no. Has anyone else heard that? And if so, whys

that?
I use it only because our water is terrible here... no one trusts it. And

dont want to risk my sons health with it either.
I have a water cooler with the big jugs of water, and use that...

I read somewhere that you're not supposed to use mineral water because it
may have too much of some minerals and that would affect the baby. I'm not
sure if that's the same as spring water. When we feed DD water, we give her
the purified water from the tap. OTOH, although LA's water tastes horrible,
it's perfectly healthy.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old January 22nd 04, 06:34 PM
Penny Gaines

Tig wrote in :

Ive been using spring water for my sons formula... but a friend of mine
just told me thats a big no-no. Has anyone else heard that? And if so,
whys that?
I use it only because our water is terrible here... no one trusts it. And
I dont want to risk my sons health with it either.
I have a water cooler with the big jugs of water, and use that...

What do you mean by "spring water"? (That's a serious question: I'm posting
from the UK.)

If you mean what I would call spring water - water bottled at a spa
and sold in bottles at inflated prices eg Evian, Perrier - then I have
heard it is not good for babies either.

Firstly, it may have minerals in it that could affect the baby.

Secondly, it may have lots of bacteria in it.

FWIW, over here it is recommended that you boil the water that you use
for formula.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old January 22nd 04, 07:23 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"Tig" wrote:

Ive been using spring water for my sons formula... but a friend of mine just
told me thats a big no-no. Has anyone else heard that? And if so, whys that?
I use it only because our water is terrible here... no one trusts it. And I
dont want to risk my sons health with it either.
I have a water cooler with the big jugs of water, and use that...

Sara
Mom to Daniel, November 28th, 2003

spring water and bottled water are neither necessarily safe enough for
young infants

just because it is in a bottle doesn't mean it is sterile

as they get older, it isn't really such a big issue -- although if it is
home spring/well water, it should be tested frequently
Old January 22nd 04, 07:28 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

Nan wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:49:25 -0500, "Tig" wrote:

Ive been using spring water for my sons formula... but a friend of mine just
told me thats a big no-no. Has anyone else heard that? And if so, whys that?
I use it only because our water is terrible here... no one trusts it. And I
dont want to risk my sons health with it either.
I have a water cooler with the big jugs of water, and use that...

Sara
Mom to Daniel, November 28th, 2003

We used the Nursery water for dd when she was taking formula.
We don't drink our water and buy bottled for drinking and cooking, but
I gave her the Nursery water for the fluoride.
I've never heard of Spring water being bad for babies.

I did not of course mix formula, but there have been plenty of studies
on various bottled water which show that they may be contaminants in
the bottled water, and sometimes that it is just tap water repackaged.
I would not trust bottled water, whether it is called spring water or
not.

If you think your tap water is 'terrible', then I'd find out why 'no
one trusts it'. Some water tastes bad but is perfectly healthy, and
some water tastes fine and has bad chemicals or micro-organisms in it.

And check with your local hospital or pediatrician to see what they
recommend.

grandma Rosalie
Old January 22nd 04, 10:33 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

Nan wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:28:51 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

Nan wrote:

We used the Nursery water for dd when she was taking formula.
We don't drink our water and buy bottled for drinking and cooking, but
I gave her the Nursery water for the fluoride.
I've never heard of Spring water being bad for babies.

I did not of course mix formula, but there have been plenty of studies
on various bottled water which show that they may be contaminants in
the bottled water, and sometimes that it is just tap water repackaged.
I would not trust bottled water, whether it is called spring water or
not.

If you think your tap water is 'terrible', then I'd find out why 'no
one trusts it'. Some water tastes bad but is perfectly healthy, and
some water tastes fine and has bad chemicals or micro-organisms in it.

We already know why our tap water is 'terrible' here. It's from a
community well and the park management doesn't test it properly, and
it has failed testing for 6 consecutive months. There is currently a
class-action lawsuit against the owners of our area, to recover
damages to property and health due to the water.
Amounts of lead, arsenic and other baddies have been found by those of
us who have taken our water samples for private testing.
My laundry gets completely destroyed on a regular basis from
discoloration, and the sewage pipes are too close to the water supply,
resulting in higher than acceptable amounts of E.Coli.

Unfortunately, our county Health Dept. won't touch the issue and IDEM
is slow on action.

Nope, not gonna feed that crap to my family. We buy the water refills
at the grocery store. It is just bottled tap water, which is fine
with me, as it's from the city water supply and goes through a
filtering process. It's far healthier than what could possibly come
out of our taps!

OK but you aren't the OP are you? I thought that was Tig. I was
asking HER why no one trusted their water, not you. You have
obviously done your homework and figured out the best course of action
- unless she lives in your community, the same would not apply to her.

I used to have my laundry discolored because of iron salts in it. It
was from our own well, and was perfectly healthy to drink. I couldn't
use chlorine bleach or the laundry would be brownish.

grandma Rosalie