reducing night feedings

Old February 25th 04, 06:54 PM

Default reducing night feedings

What's the best way of doing this? My kid weighs 22lbs,
is 8months old and gets up 4 times a night.

Don't feel comfy letting him CIO.

I'll be happy with one night time feeding

Do you think if I just keep picking him up and rocking him
to sleep and comforting him for his other feedings I could
reduce it to one night time feeding in a few days?

Johnson Sloat
Old February 25th 04, 07:58 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

wrote:

What's the best way of doing this? My kid weighs 22lbs,
is 8months old and gets up 4 times a night.

Don't feel comfy letting him CIO.

I'll be happy with one night time feeding

Do you think if I just keep picking him up and rocking him
to sleep and comforting him for his other feedings I could
reduce it to one night time feeding in a few days?

I didn't see the OP, but if you are bf, rocking him to sleep probably
won't work because he will smell that you have milk and won't want to

As far as CIO - picking up and rocking back to sleep is just a gentler
version of that.

That could help. You might also try to establish
some other sleep associations that might help (e.g., a
blankie or other lovey, soft music, whatever). Do you
think he's really hungry, or is this just the only way
he knows to get back to sleep once he's woken? If he's
hungry, rocking won't work and then you can work on
trying to feed him more during the day, if possible.
You could also try having your partner handle the
non-feeding wakings.

Best wishes,
Ericka

grandma Rosalie
Old February 25th 04, 08:42 PM
H Schinske

What's the best way of doing this? My kid weighs 22lbs,
is 8months old and gets up 4 times a night.

Don't feel comfy letting him CIO.

What time does he go to bed? If it's significantly before your bedtime, have
you tried getting him up for a feed just before you go to bed, to see if it
will help him get a long stretch of sleep through the wee hours?

--Helen

Old February 25th 04, 10:00 PM
Stephanie Stowe

wrote in message
What's the best way of doing this? My kid weighs 22lbs,
is 8months old and gets up 4 times a night.

Don't feel comfy letting him CIO.

I'll be happy with one night time feeding

Do you think if I just keep picking him up and rocking him
to sleep and comforting him for his other feedings I could
reduce it to one night time feeding in a few days?

Johnson Sloat

If he is used to feeding in the night, his stomach may be "trained" to think
he is hungry. I would substitute feedings for rocking as you say, but
gradually over longer than a couple of days, depending on how much he is
actually eating.

Old February 26th 04, 02:40 AM
toypup

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
I didn't see the OP, but if you are bf, rocking him to sleep probably
won't work because he will smell that you have milk and won't want to

Not necessarily. If it's a problem, try facing the child outwards. Worked
with DS.

Old February 26th 04, 03:07 AM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

"toypup" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
I didn't see the OP, but if you are bf, rocking him to sleep probably
won't work because he will smell that you have milk and won't want to

Not necessarily. If it's a problem, try facing the child outwards. Worked
with DS.

Would not have worked with mine. YMMV

grandma Rosalie
Old February 26th 04, 07:19 AM

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

That could help. You might also try to establish
some other sleep associations that might help (e.g., a
blankie or other lovey, soft music, whatever). Do you

Yeah, we've already done that and he's got a really good
schedule. He falls asleep right away with no fussing
at night.

think he's really hungry, or is this just the only way
he knows to get back to sleep once he's woken? If he's

He can't sleep for more than 3hrs. We tried over feeding
him during the day but he won't have it.

hungry, rocking won't work and then you can work on
trying to feed him more during the day, if possible.
You could also try having your partner handle the
non-feeding wakings.

Doh! I am the partner I'm trying to give my wife some
much needed relief.

So far the only advice I've heard from people is "Suck it
up and deal with the crying, it'll stop in two or three
nights."

I can't take crying for more than 20-30minutes and I know
he'll go on for hours.

Right now we're going to see if we can bring it down to one
feeding a night at midnight (he goes to bed at 7pm so
he'll go roughly 5hrs without a feeding) and then to
go 7hrs without a feeding until 7am.

We'll see.
Old February 26th 04, 02:14 PM
Ericka Kammerer

wrote:

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

That could help. You might also try to establish
some other sleep associations that might help (e.g., a
blankie or other lovey, soft music, whatever). Do you

Yeah, we've already done that and he's got a really good
schedule. He falls asleep right away with no fussing
at night.

Does he nurse as part of his bedtime routine?
Does he ever go to sleep without nursing at any other
time, even if only occasionally?

Doh! I am the partner I'm trying to give my wife some
much needed relief.

;-) Sorry!

So far the only advice I've heard from people is "Suck it
up and deal with the crying, it'll stop in two or three
nights."

Weeeelllll, I dunno. I suppose that depends
on how hungry and persistent he is. I never had any
luck with waiting out the crying on a baby who wanted
to eat at night. YMMV. I'm a proponent of shaking
up the routine somehow in the hopes that something
new will happen.

Right now we're going to see if we can bring it down to one
feeding a night at midnight (he goes to bed at 7pm so
he'll go roughly 5hrs without a feeding) and then to
go 7hrs without a feeding until 7am.

Try changing *something*. Wake him up instead of
waiting for him to wake. Have the other parent get him.
Put him down at a different time. Make the room colder
(or warmer). Try a bottle instead of nursing (or nursing
instead of a bottle). Go visit Grandma & Grandpa (or
someone/somewhere else). Create some sort of wedge so
that something new can happen. That's usually what has
worked for me.

Best wishes,
Ericka

night potty 'training' cara General 27 February 2nd 04 09:35 PM
Sleeping throught the night. esther323 General 12 December 5th 03 06:48 PM
writhing and crying in night Nevermind General 6 August 5th 03 06:16 AM
Screaming in the night (similar to crying in the night post) Sue General 1 August 4th 03 08:53 PM
5.5 Week Old Slept Through Night... JoAnna General 4 July 31st 03 01:49 AM