Selling a house question

Old May 18th 04, 11:19 PM
TeacherMama

Default Selling a house question

We are thinking about selling our home in Ca and moving to another
state. We have a lien on the house for the instant arrearages my
husband got hit with. When we sell the house, we will be able to pay
off the lien, but will "they" be able to take $$$ from the sale for,
say, future payment insurance? or "the mother-of-the-child deserves a
cut" reasons or anything like that? The child lives in another state,
and that is where the originating order is from, through the Ca court
system by the lovely new federal we'll-help-you-screw-'em system.
Old May 19th 04, 12:22 AM
Editor - Child Support News

I'm not certain they can put a lien on property jointly owned...but then, I
intentionally didn't put myself on the mortgage when my current wife bought
our house.

om...

Old May 19th 04, 12:27 AM
The DaveŠ

TeacherMama wrote:
We are thinking about selling our home in Ca and moving to another
state. We have a lien on the house for the instant arrearages my
husband got hit with. When we sell the house, we will be able to pay
off the lien, but will "they" be able to take $$$ from the sale for,
say, future payment insurance? or "the mother-of-the-child deserves a
cut" reasons or anything like that? The child lives in another state,
and that is where the originating order is from, through the Ca court
system by the lovely new federal we'll-help-you-screw-'em system.

Isn't California one of the staes that puts leins on homes for
"potential" arrearages even when nothing is owed? Not that that
affects what you're doing, but just curious.

--
Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.
~Author Unknown

Old May 19th 04, 03:06 AM
Bob Whiteside

"TeacherMama" wrote in message
om...
We are thinking about selling our home in Ca and moving to another
state. We have a lien on the house for the instant arrearages my
husband got hit with. When we sell the house, we will be able to pay
off the lien, but will "they" be able to take $$$ from the sale for,
say, future payment insurance? or "the mother-of-the-child deserves a
cut" reasons or anything like that? The child lives in another state,
and that is where the originating order is from, through the Ca court
system by the lovely new federal we'll-help-you-screw-'em system.

First of all, the title search that is done before the Title Insurance
Policy is issued for the buyer will show the existence of the lien. Be sure
to disclose it up front to your realtor so they don't get blindsided. The
lien is a debt that will not transfer to the new owner.

Second, have your realtor do a preliminary title search to determine the
extent of the lien. If it is anything like my state, it will be for
arrearages only. I don't have any personal knowledge of how CSE does the
liens, but my calculated guess would be it is not for a specific amount, or
an amount that was owed at the point the lien was attached to the title. If
it's the latter, the current amount owed should be clarified for the escrow
and paid off before you get an funds out of the home equity.

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane Spanking 12 December 10th 03 02:30 AM
Kids should work. ChrisScaife Spanking 16 December 7th 03 04:27 AM
OT Question - small wildlife in the house GI Trekker General 7 July 23rd 03 04:53 AM