denied health ins because of miscarriage?

Old April 27th 04, 03:33 AM
Leinweber

Default denied health ins because of miscarriage?

Hi all...

I have posted a couple of times in the last few days. Thank you for your
replies. Obviously we are scrambling to get things taken care of.

I'm almost 5 weeks pregnant, and my husband lost his job (on his birthday) 2
days before we found out about this pregnancy. We absolutely in no way can
afford the cobra plan, and are now applying for individual insurance (just
for me because of this pregnancy). But I have had a miscarraige in the
past... My question is... Will that miscarriage (4 months ago) mean I
could be denied health insurance? All I've heard is that they can't hold
pregnancy as a pre-existing condition.

Thanks.
: ) D in Oregon

Old April 27th 04, 03:59 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Leinweber wrote:

Hi all...

I have posted a couple of times in the last few days. Thank you for your
replies. Obviously we are scrambling to get things taken care of.

I'm almost 5 weeks pregnant, and my husband lost his job (on his birthday) 2
days before we found out about this pregnancy. We absolutely in no way can
afford the cobra plan, and are now applying for individual insurance (just
for me because of this pregnancy). But I have had a miscarraige in the
past... My question is... Will that miscarriage (4 months ago) mean I
could be denied health insurance? All I've heard is that they can't hold
pregnancy as a pre-existing condition.

I can't imagine why they would do so. As devastating
as they are personally, miscarriages are *very* common (at
least early ones are) and rarely indicate likely problems
in the future. Also, how would they even know? I'd be
somewhat surprised if it showed up on a questionnaire, unless
it showed up as a question about recurrent miscarriages or
fertility issues or something like that, which obviously
wouldn't apply.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old April 27th 04, 04:19 AM
Leinweber

It did show up on the paperwork ("c-section or miscarriage" Then they do
extensive underwriting and collect all my medical records from the last 5
years and try to find any reason they can to deny me...

Obviously, i'm not feeling very hopeful about this. So, I've also applied
for OHP/Medicaid for pregnant women, just in case.

: ) D

Old April 27th 04, 08:44 AM
Ggirl44

If you need to, there are often "high risk" or "major risk" insurance plans
available through the big insurance companies like Blue Cross, Blue Shield,
Kaiser, etc. I was able to get into Kaiser with pre-existing conditions a few
years ago. I'm not sure how they are found, as my Mom did the research on
that, but I believe she found it through the state programs. I do believe that
someone in the companies can find the information for you, as well. Best of
luck!
Old April 27th 04, 01:47 PM
Donna Metler

"Leinweber" toreply: wrote in message
Hi all...

I have posted a couple of times in the last few days. Thank you for your
replies. Obviously we are scrambling to get things taken care of.

I'm almost 5 weeks pregnant, and my husband lost his job (on his birthday)

2
days before we found out about this pregnancy. We absolutely in no way

can
afford the cobra plan, and are now applying for individual insurance (just
for me because of this pregnancy). But I have had a miscarraige in the
past... My question is... Will that miscarriage (4 months ago) mean I
could be denied health insurance? All I've heard is that they can't hold
pregnancy as a pre-existing condition.

Thanks.
: ) D in Oregon

I don't think they usually deny health insurance for that reason, however, I
was denied disability for pregnancy because I had HELLP syndrome, so they
may rider you for specific complications. Miscarriage is usually almost a
medical non-event, so it's not really expensive to the insurance company.
Unfortunately, the safe motherhood act, which would have not only required
insurance companies to provide coverage for complicated pregnancies, but
required employers to give extended leave for them, got tabled when the 2nd
gulf war started, so I believe legally they could, but I don't think they
will for a simple miscarriage. After all, to their point of view, it is
probably cheaper to pay for a miscarriage early than for the full prenatal
care and delivery, not to mention adding a baby to a family plan.

Old April 27th 04, 06:23 PM
Rosegin

We absolutely in no way can
afford the cobra plan, and are now applying for individual insurance (just
for me because of this pregnancy).

How much research have you done? Most of the individual plans I checked out
didn't even offer maternity coverage. And if they did, it was hundreds more
and you weren't allowed to get pregnant for 2 years after start of coverage.
Have you applied for medicaid? Sounds like you'd be eligible since DH has no
job.
Old April 28th 04, 02:04 AM
Leinweber

We are applying for Lifewise, which I can get coverage (including they pay
80% of maternity with no waiting periods) for about $129 a month in my area
(of Oregon). I used ehealthinsurance.com (I believe). Many have 12 months
waiting periods, but I picked out the ones that didn't.

We are expecting paperwork in the mail for some sort of OHP/Medicaid type of
program for pregnant women, we will fill that out also and see who will take
me. I've been declined health insurance in the past, so i'm afraid that
alone will be enough reason Lifewise wont take me.

Thanks again.

: ) D