dyslexia?

Old March 23rd 06, 04:20 PM posted to misc.kids

Default dyslexia?

I am wondering when you might start to see signs of dyslexia in a
child?

DS is 5 1/2, and while I'm not worried about it yet, I just was
noticing some things he does while we read together that make me wonder
if it's just being 5 1/2 or if there's something more to it. Any
thoughts? Here are some few examples-

When we read a word with either "b" or "d" at the beginning, he asks
which it is. "D" is ok- it's the first letter of his name ;-)

Often he'll try to read a word starting from the wrong place. Take
"take" for example. Sometimes he will start at the "t" and the "k"
othertimes.

He reads numbers similarly- "21" or "12" get called by either.

And, if there are several sentences together, he'll read the first one
pretty well, and then the second sentence is jumbled as are the next
few. I can help by pointing to the words as he reads them. This was
actually the one that made me start thinking about if his eye sight is
tracking properly (he has passed vision screening tests without a
problem).

I don't know much about dyslexia, or other learning disabilities, and a
quick google isn't telling me much more than I already know. I'm
wondering, too, if it's more that he's already had a busy day when we
get a chance to read together and maybe he's just tired. Or, just 5
;-)

Thanks very much for your help!
Lisa

Old March 23rd 06, 04:35 PM posted to misc.kids

"athena" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

All sounds normal for that age to me.
Debbie

Old March 23rd 06, 04:41 PM posted to misc.kids

"athena" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am wondering when you might start to see signs of dyslexia in a
child?

Not sure about that... But... my parents found out I was dyslexic at around
grade 3. I could read something better if I read it in a mirror, held up to
me, for one. To be honest, it didn't at all bother me as far as learning.
This can cause problems for some, but others it causes little problems for.

DS is 5 1/2, and while I'm not worried about it yet, I just was
noticing some things he does while we read together that make me wonder
if it's just being 5 1/2 or if there's something more to it. Any
thoughts? Here are some few examples-

I have a 5 year old and a 6 year old... Both in kindergarden this year...
Plus, I am dyslexic

When we read a word with either "b" or "d" at the beginning, he asks
which it is. "D" is ok- it's the first letter of his name ;-)

DS does that. The word, "Dad" in a book, I had him sound it out - his
teacher had some concerns about word association, meaning he didn't quite
understand that all these letters he knows can be put together to form words
that we use. He sounded it out as, "Dab" and even with his name, he writes
it out as, "Branbon" - yet he knows his name is Brandon. He does get b and
d mixed up, but not D and B.

Often he'll try to read a word starting from the wrong place. Take
"take" for example. Sometimes he will start at the "t" and the "k"
othertimes.

I don't think it's unusual at this age. Take, for example, the
kitchen/chicken thread.

He reads numbers similarly- "21" or "12" get called by either.

DS knows his numbers all the way from 0 and up. I'll ask him to write 12,
and he will put down 21. He reads it as 12, and this is not all the time,
but maybe half the time. Kind of like hit or miss. Also, as I did in
kindergarden/first grade, he has written his name exact mirror image. Hold
it up to the mirror and it's perfectly correct. I did this at that age, and
so do a lot of other kids, and no, it doesn't necessarily mean there's a
learning disability or dyslexia involved to be concerned about.

And, if there are several sentences together, he'll read the first one
pretty well, and then the second sentence is jumbled as are the next
few. I can help by pointing to the words as he reads them. This was
actually the one that made me start thinking about if his eye sight is
tracking properly (he has passed vision screening tests without a
problem).

DS has problems with word association, and really doesn't read much if he
doesn't recognize it. Again, I do think this is not unusual for this age -
to miss or mix words up.

I don't know much about dyslexia, or other learning disabilities, and a
quick google isn't telling me much more than I already know. I'm
wondering, too, if it's more that he's already had a busy day when we
get a chance to read together and maybe he's just tired. Or, just 5
;-)

I think he's just 5. At this point, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
I would give him time and have patience and see where it goes. I had
actually had some concerns about DS and how he writes backwards or sometimes
reads or sounds out words from the last letter to the first, and I was told
it wasn't all that uncommon. Your son isn't stupid, nor does anything say
he has any learning disability. The teacher, last night at the "Celebration
of Learning" at the school, had told me that the average child doesn't start
to actually read until the middle of first grade, and even in that case,
some do and some don't. Some can read long before school, some take a bit
longer. Based on age, he really is only kindergarden age, even if he is an
early starter and is in the middle of first grade already. I wouldn't be
too concerned about it just yet. He's still learning and what he's learning
is probably a lot to him, even if it seems like nothing to us. Encourage
him to take it slowly and take his time. Don't force him to do anything,
and let him go at it for as long as he wants. Encourage him and gently
correct him. He will get it, and if he's already passed vision screening
tests with flying colors, let him take it at his own pace. If he does mix
up letters that look similar (as in the case with b and d, and maybe even m
and n, p and q) don't make him feel stupid or slow or bad or anything like
that (not assuming that you do anyways)
I say take it slow. He'll learn. It takes a while for anyone to get
something new down to a T. Oh, and read to him. Read to him lots. Have
him read to you as well, and expect that it will take a bit more effort and
work for him to read to you than it will be for you to read to him.

Old March 23rd 06, 10:01 PM posted to misc.kids

Thanks Debbie!

Take care,
Lisa

New video with natural techniques to help ADHD dyslexia test anxiety self esteem mark Spanking 0 January 18th 06 06:09 PM
New video for ADHD dyslexia test anxiety natural solutions mark Kids Health 0 January 18th 06 05:51 PM
reading Stephanie General 65 November 28th 05 07:23 AM
dyslexia question GandSBrock Twins & Triplets 18 January 20th 04 02:10 AM
Tom Cruise dyslexia handled by... Tracy Sherwood General 0 October 11th 03 07:45 AM