Review: White Noise (1/2)

Old January 8th 05, 12:55 AM
Steve Rhodes

Default Review: White Noise (1/2)

WHITE NOISE
A film review by Steve Rhodes

Copyright 2005 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****): 1/2

WHITE NOISE is the type of convoluted and confusing thriller that gives
viewers serious migraines.

Michael Keaton sleepwalks his way through the part of Jonathan Rivers, a man
whose wife has died in a mysterious accident but still tries to stay in
touch by placing cell phone calls from the Great Beyond -- hmm, talk about
expensive long distance.

Jonathan learns that the dead are a chatty bunch if you know how to listen.
It turns out that television snow and radio static is rife with messages
from ghosts -- and not all of them have your best interests at heart.

Jonathan's wife Anna (Chandra West) starts clueing him into disasters as
they are in progress in his city so that he can go and try to stop them.
Along the way, the movie features loud, sudden noises on a regular basis to
wake us from our slumber. My audience divided into those who laughed at the
film in ridicule, those who walked out in droves and those who tried their
best to catch up on their sleep. I'll leave it to you to guess which group
was the wisest. And I'll bet you be able to predict this without any help
from the murky ghosts. The nice thing about January is that the studios
almost always schedule some turkey like WHITE NOISE so we can get our worst
of the new year's list started quickly.

WHITE NOISE runs a painfully long 1:41. It is rated PG-13 for "violence,
disturbing images and language" and would be acceptable for teenagers.

The film opens nationwide in the United States on Friday, January 7, 2005.
In the Silicon Valley, it will be showing at the AMC theaters, the Century
theaters and the Camera Cinemas.

Web: www.InternetReviews.com

Email:

Want free reviews and weekly movie and video recommendations via Email?

Just send me a letter with the word "subscribe" in the subject line.