reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding

Old March 8th 04, 07:02 AM
Jill

Default reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote
I do however see a whole lot of people jumping up and down and
professing to see rude, "righteous" behavior, but I just don't see it -
and usually I'm good at noticing other people's faults.

I think it's just because this seems to be a touchy subject. I can tell it
is now, when I first became pregnant I never would have guessed it to be
such a touchy subject!

Old March 12th 04, 07:19 PM
ann

"Welches" wrote in message news:lUM0c.2036$GQ.775@newsfe1-win...
Elitsirk wrote in message
om...
"CY" wrote in message

The top 3 reasons I hear:

1) It's inconvenient (HELLO! What's inconvenient about a food that's

always
exactly the right temperature, always there, perfect in every way and

GOOD
for your child?)

I plan to bf my baby for as long as possible, but I have to ask: are
you hearing this one from SAHM's or working moms?

I've heard it from both.

I wonder because as
I've thought through the process for pumping once I go back to work, I
am afraid that it will be terribly inconvenient (I still plan to try,
though...).

Hope it goes well. Good luck!
Oh yeah, from what I've been reading, the better breast pumps for
daily use run somewhere around $250-300. I guess compared to several
months of formula, that might even out in the end. I do still have
the fear that I'll pay for the expensive pump, and then end up having
to wean the baby to formula anyway and will have wasted a lot of money
that we don't really have to waste.

The best pump most people I know recommend is the hand Avent pump. It's only
abou £25-£40 (I think the lower end) I know a lady who pumped for her twins
(with one formula feed a day) until 4 months with that. You may be able to
hire a pump before you buy.

My mom bf all of us. With my youngest sister (who's now 7), she bf
for about a year while working full time. But mom's a nurse in the
NICU, and had access at work to hospital pumps (plus worked in an
environment exceedingly friendly to mothers). I don't have those
advantages, and I'm worried about how well I'll be able to do for our
children.

*sigh* It's good to hear so much encouragement for women to bf, as I
agree that it's absolutely the best thing possible for babies. I just
wonder sometimes how well some bf-advocates really understand the
fears and/or realities that many women face when it comes to the
logistics of it all. Please consider that when you think you are
hearing "whiney" excuses from other mothers.

I don't mind mothers saying they didn't want to, but it's the justifying
excuses that irritate me. But that's how I feel in general not just on the
feeding question. I'd rather people were honest than tried to make
themselves seem terribly virtuous for not doing something. (like dh not
wating to disturb dd by hoovering when it's really that he'd rather do
something else!) On the feeding question some things are perpetuated by
people saying it. If people say the "milk reacted to the baby" then other
mothers may think that when the baby actually has reflux, for example, and
then stop breastfeeding. I know of a couple of cases that has been the case.
Hope you reach the best decision for you and your baby. (and that's for you
to know, not anyone else to try and correct you!)
Debbie

If you plan to breastfeed and return to work then you simlply must
hire a professional electric breast pump to maintain supply check
out www.contentbaby.co.uk if you live in the Uk,they even deliver it
to your door free.
Old March 13th 04, 06:36 AM
Jennifer and Robert Howe

I tried to bf but baby liked to suck so hard that after 3 days I felt she
wasn't getting anything. She was always crying and fussy. and when I had
them check me out they said I wasn't producing enough for her and she had
dramatically lost weight. she went from 8lbs 8.3 oz to almost 7lbs so I
started bottlefeeding her enfamil lipil with iron. Now at 7 months she is a
16lbs 4oz.
I still wish I could have breastfed her though will try with #2 when I do
get pregnant again.

Jennifer
mommy of 1
Ariana 8/17/03

> [...]