Hypothetically speaking and stuff

Old October 26th 04, 03:28 AM
Rebecca McGraw

Since I have names on the mind, and will most likely be making a similar
post here real soon, I'm happy to play:

Unadulterated Me wrote:

Adelaide, Arabella, Georgette,

I like all three of these, especially Arabella.

Freya,

Too Nordic for my taste

Fleur,

Pretty, but might become really popular really soon with the Harry
Potter fan-crowd. I prefer Flora, which is on our short list as well.

Jemima,

Pancake syrup

Lucinda,

A lovely name

Lucianna,
Matilda, Poppy, Saffron, Tamasin (not Tamsin), Tansy, Willow

I like Tansy OK but not the others. Poppy sounds like a cat name.
Saffron sounds like you're trying too hard to be 'exotic' IMO. Willow is
pretty but "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" ruined it for me.

And would it be too cheesy to give a baby girl born in May 'May' as a
second name?

No, because it makes sense. Better than one baby name I saw in the paper
last spring, a little girl born in March with the middle name DeCember.
I don't get it. She wasn't born in December, she wasn't conceived in
December...

Girls names we already have are...
Tessa Hannah

I don't like that the names both end with the same "ah" sound, but
otherwise very nice! One of my co-workers has a Tessa who is a
delightful child. Hers is Tessa Nicole. I'd prefer Tessa or Hannah with
one of your other choices, like Tessa Elisabeth or Hanna Kate.

Paige Breanna
Grace Madeline
Rose Isabella
Amelia Kate
Lydia Elisabeth

Andrea no middle name

I like all those also. Am I just no help or what?

-Rebecca
Due Dec. 2 and also playing the name game these days

Old October 26th 04, 03:49 AM
Unadulterated Me

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Freya doesn't seem to fit with the rest
of your names to me.

It doesn't? Poop, I liked that one lol

I like Georgia better than Georgette (which
is a kind of fabric, though I confess Georgette Heyer novels are
a guilty pleasure ;-)

Yeah Georgette is a fabric g but Georgia is my nieces name, and also
far far to common here, although very pretty.

Have you considered Rowan?

I do like Rowan, and Arwyn, and Moira and all those LOTR variants but
Rowan and Rohan are a little too male sounding. And Tessa's favourite
book is Rowan of Rin by Emily Rodda so it feels a bit weird.

Thanks for your help :-)

Andrea
Old October 26th 04, 03:56 AM
Unadulterated Me

Leslie wrote:

Adelaide

That one sounds really good with your other girl names IMO.

I really like this one (probably one of my top choices) but my ever
smart arse husband says we may as well call her Auckland. I tried to
explain Adelaide the Australian city was named after Queen Adelaide and
it was a very old German and English name, but what can I say he's an idiot.

, Arabella,

I love that one myself.

Me too, my only problem with this is the rhyme I use with the kids at
Playcentre
Little Arabella Miller had a fuzzy caterpillar
First it crawled upon her mother
then upon her baby brother...and so on to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle
Little star lol

Jemima has a pancake syrup connotation in the States. :-)

It is? it will go well with my boy choice then which is Oscar...sausages
and pancake syrup mmmmm

Thanks for your help Leslie :-)

Andrea
Old October 26th 04, 03:57 AM
Unadulterated Me

Thanks Nadene :-)

Andrea
Old October 26th 04, 04:04 AM
Unadulterated Me

Cheryl wrote:

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:24:32 GMT, "Plissken"
wrote:

"Unadulterated Me" wrote in message

Matilda

reminds me of a witch, why?

Roald Dahl, at a guess.

Yeah but there was no Witch in the story, Matilda had special powers,
and the Trunchbowl was witch like, but it wasn't actually a witch story.
But Dahl did write Witches so it would be easy to make the connection
mentally.
I was thinking someone would make the waltzing Matilda connection first
before the Dahl one though lol

Andrea
Old October 26th 04, 04:05 AM
Unadulterated Me

Leanne wrote:

Can I have some feedback on these names, any make your stomach turn, any
you adore that sort of thing....connotations to them, no need to feed back
on every name just the ones you have strong thoughts on. Trying to come up
with some sort of short list for contemplation, not having much luck.

Adelaide,

Is where I live

I guess there aren't many children called Adelaide where you are then
lol. I wonder how many Sydney's like in Sydney.

Thanks Leanne :-)

Andrea
Old October 26th 04, 04:11 AM
Unadulterated Me

Cheryl wrote:

Poppy, Saffron,

These last two are getting really popular at the moment due to certain
UK television shows/personalities.

I know Saffy's from Ab Fab but what's Poppy from?

I like Tansy the best.

I like it too, the name killer of the family says she'll be called Tansy
the Pansy eye roll

Willow is not just the name of a _Buffy the Vampire Slayer_ character,
it's also the name of Will Smith's daughter.

I had heard that, I never watched it myself so I wouldn't really care,
my inspiration was the film with Val Kilmer. and Will smiths other child
with Jada is Jayden (or was it Jaden) who I've also got one of lol

There is some completely
useless random trivia inside my head

lol
Thanks Cheryl.

Andrea
Old October 26th 04, 04:11 AM
Unadulterated Me

Cheryl wrote:

Oh, I guess that means you're still using Oscar for a potential boy?

Yes, Oscar or Jack so far for the boy.

Andrea
Old October 26th 04, 04:13 AM
Unadulterated Me

Rebecca Jo wrote:

I really like Poppy and Arabella is nice. Don't much care for Jemima or
Saffron.

Thanks Rebecca, the only thing about Poppy is we call the wee kids
poppet as an affection term, so it could get a little confusing and
tongue tiedish at times.

Andrea
Old October 26th 04, 04:19 AM
Unadulterated Me

Nan wrote:

I like: Adelaide, Georgette (but I'd choose Georgia instead),

I have a niece called Georgia so I couldn't really use it,

Jemima
reminds me of syrup ;-) But Jemma would be a possibility.

I like Jemima it kind of has an aristocratic English feel to me, like
Harriet, Henrietta or Prudence. And then there's the gorgeous Jemima
Kahn, and lovely as she is, I wouldn't want people thinking I named my
sprog after her.

Matilda is
very pretty.

I like Matilda, I like Tilda too, it has a very strong, powerful feel.
Tilda Swinton the scottish actress is playing the White Witch in The
Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe...see Cheryl isn't the only one with
useless fluff for brains g

Thanks Nan :-)

Andrea