reputable homebirth info/stats needed

Old November 1st 04, 05:01 AM
Plissken

Default reputable homebirth info/stats needed

I would love to have a homebirth but my husband is not at all keen. I am
wondering if anyone out there knows of a reputable website or a good book
that my husband could read to put his mind at ease. I am going to ask my
midwife this week as well but thought I would try here too.

TIA
Nadene

Old November 1st 04, 09:46 AM
Buzzy Bee

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 18:17:39 +1300, "Mum of Two"
wrote:

Well, the statistics seem to say that once you're in hospital, it's
increasingly difficult to avoid a lot of scary interventions. I had a good
midwife and a natural, non-interventionist hospital birth here in NZ, but it
seems you're unlikely to get that in the US.

I think there is a basic difference between the two systems (US vs
UK/NZ/Oz) is that there isn't the presumption of low risk care by a
someone who is a professional *in* low risk care.

We were talking about it last week when my midwife was here and she
commented that a lot of care in the US seems to presume high risk care
until proven otherwise (sometimes *after* the birth) whereas there
tends to be a presumption of low risk here until a risk factor emerges
(which may, of course be at booking).

Of course I have a problem with the dichotomy of low vs high risk in
that there are a lot of women out there who could be classified as
medium risk but sometimes its difficult to get medium risk ("shared")
care. I also have a problem of people being classified high risk and
then not downgraded when that risk is passed. Women being told they
cannot have a homebirth because their previous baby was premature is
an example: spontaneous labour prior to 37 weeks and they would be
well advised to get themselves down the local Consultant Led Unit
quickfast (as would anyone). However if they are still pregnant at 37
weeks their chances of a premature baby are nil, since last I looked
babies couldn't time travel!

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7th May 2003, 17 hours. http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com
EDD 11th March 2005 (another boy!)
Old November 1st 04, 09:56 AM
Buzzy Bee

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 04:01:21 GMT, "Plissken"
wrote:

I would love to have a homebirth but my husband is not at all keen. I am
wondering if anyone out there knows of a reputable website or a good book
that my husband could read to put his mind at ease. I am going to ask my
midwife this week as well but thought I would try here too.

These are all UK based, but might be useful for you.

www.aims.org.uk is a good one for pro-homebirth research references.
Its an advocacy service for maternity services in general, but unlike
the NHS and DoH references below provides studies that back up the
assertions.

This is the official NHS (National Health Service) advice:
http://tinyurl.com/3twfr
Note the reference to the fact you are more likely to have a c-section
in a hospital and further down that homebirth is equally safe (there
is some evidence to show its safer, but they're not the most likely
place to be pushing the boat out on that one).

This leaflet (http://tinyurl.com/6b7d5) was produced in conjunction
with the Department of Health and might be useful for your husband.
Its looking a little out of date though (I know there has been some
further research regarding home vs hospital since it was published.

At the bottom of the NHS page there are links to some other sites. I
particularly recommend the Homebirth one.

HTH

Megan
Old November 1st 04, 02:31 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Kelly wrote:

*It is highly likely to have a natural non-interventionist hospital birth in
*the US. Fortunately I live where the hospitals have midwifery groups
*associated with them, OB practices that are low interventionist in their
*philosophy, and nurses that are supportive. There are also lots of Doulas

I think an informed patient makes all the difference. In the hospital
where I deliver, MOST patients have highly interventionist births. If you
say you don't want that, though, you don't get it! They can't FORCE you.
You just have to tell your caregiver what you want and make them realize
you mean business. My doctor backed me up in the hospital and I had no one
bug me at all during my last delivery (in fact, I almost had no one show
up as the baby came out, but a resident swung by at the last second ).

h.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old November 1st 04, 03:11 PM
Leslie

I don't have any stats but just wanted to wish you good luck convincing your
husband. I had a terrible time talking my husband into at homebirth for #3.
If you can't REALLY get your husband onboard and enthusiastic about it, I
honestly would advise you to go to a birth center instead. I really felt like
the negative energy from so many people being against my decision impacted the
result of that birth.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old November 1st 04, 03:55 PM
Anne Rogers

Of course I have a problem with the dichotomy of low vs high risk in
that there are a lot of women out there who could be classified as
medium risk but sometimes its difficult to get medium risk ("shared")
care. I also have a problem of people being classified high risk and
then not downgraded when that risk is passed. Women being told they
cannot have a homebirth because their previous baby was premature is
an example: spontaneous labour prior to 37 weeks and they would be
well advised to get themselves down the local Consultant Led Unit
quickfast (as would anyone). However if they are still pregnant at 37
weeks their chances of a premature baby are nil, since last I looked
babies couldn't time travel!

LOL, I was considered at risk of pre term birth, my midwife was very helpful
and didn't put planned homebirth in my notes at all, so when I went to my
appointment at the hospital it wasn't up for discussion, when labour started
(all be it slowly) on the day I was 37 weeks we had just signed the forms
for a home birth and we proceeded from there, even though it did end up in
hospital for an induction 4 days later

Old November 1st 04, 04:10 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Plissken wrote:

I would love to have a homebirth but my husband is not at all keen. I am
wondering if anyone out there knows of a reputable website or a good book
that my husband could read to put his mind at ease. I am going to ask my
midwife this week as well but thought I would try here too.

In addition to the other resources you've already been
directed to, my advice is to have your husband come along to
interview a midwife or three. Many husbands seem to have the
notion that homebirth midwives are a bunch of earthy-crunchy
grannies who wouldn't know a research study from a hole in
the ground. When they actually *talk* to the midwives and
realize that they are highly competent professionals who can
explain in detail what they will do in any particular situation
and why that's appropriate, the husbands often have a change
of heart.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 1st 04, 04:12 PM
Donna Metler

I would suggest that you get the hospital's book used for prenatal classes
for each hospital in your area. The one for the hospital I'm using is very
reassuring, because of what they state is normal-it literally made about 3/4
of my birth plan unnecessary. The biggest relief was the section on
breastfeeding-which was about half the book and stated explicitly that no
baby would be fed from a bottle UNLESS explicitly requested in writing by
the parents!

Old November 1st 04, 08:20 PM
emilymr

I actually haven't read through these links (I'm planning on doing it when
i finish everything else...) but here's a website put together by a
Silicon Valley midwife; it's very comprehensive!

http://www.gentlebirth.org/ronnie/homesafe.html

If you go to gentlebirth.org, you'll find even more helpful links.

Em
baby boy, due Nov. 18

Old November 1st 04, 09:05 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 14:55:04 -0000, "Anne Rogers"
wrote:

LOL, I was considered at risk of pre term birth, my midwife was very helpful
and didn't put planned homebirth in my notes at all, so when I went to my
appointment at the hospital it wasn't up for discussion, when labour started
(all be it slowly) on the day I was 37 weeks we had just signed the forms
for a home birth and we proceeded from there, even though it did end up in
hospital for an induction 4 days later

The silly thing is, a tiny minority of people planning homebirth would
even consider staying home before 36 weeks (a few more after that, the
vast majority wouldn't until 37 weeks). So I don't know why its an
issue either way.

Megan