DAYTONA BEACH -- Problems with a new computer system that trackschildren in foster care have local officials scrambling to make sure childrenare being checked on properly.

Old August 15th 07, 06:06 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default DAYTONA BEACH -- Problems with a new computer system that trackschildren in foster care have local officials scrambling to make sure childrenare being checked on properly.

Welfare workers say computer woes putting kids at risk
By DEBORAH CIRCELLI
Staff Writer

http://www.news-journalonline.com/Ne...AD04081507.htm

DAYTONA BEACH -- Problems with a new computer system that tracks
children in foster care have local officials scrambling to make sure
children are being checked on properly.

Local officials and caseworkers say they are being forced to double
check and re-enter information into the $26 million Florida Safe
Families Network because state reports are "inaccurate" and have
contradictory and duplicate information.

State officials earlier Tuesday said the problems are minor and kinks
are being worked out, but local officials tell a different story, saying
agencies across the state have reported problems daily since the new
system came online in late July.

In conference calls Monday, representatives from agencies around the
state complained of problems assigning cases to workers and properly
closing cases, in addition to the problems showing when children were
checked on, according to a report.

The biggest concern locally, according to officials with Community
Partnership for Children, which provides local foster care for the
state, is whether all children placed with relatives, in group or foster
homes or under supervision with their parents are accounted for and
their welfare documented.

"What if I miss a kid and there is no way to trust the system to tell me
that, yes, they have been seen and it's (reported) in there correctly,"
said Rachel Smith, vice president of programs for Community Partnership,
who oversees more than 60 caseworkers and supervisors. "I'm worried
about it because I rely on those reports. I'm trusting the staff below
us to make sure (every child) gets seen."

The state changed its course late Tuesday and said problems with reports
documenting when children are seen is a "high priority" that will be
corrected as soon as possible.

The state Department of Children & Families installed a new updated
computer system to replace the more than 10-year-old HomeSafeNet, which
had a history of problems. About $42 million in computer hardware from
the old system was used to build the new one.

Smith said she has spent the past couple of weeks meeting with
supervisors about problems, checking backup information in hard files
and other computer files, and re-entering information.

Some of the problems Smith has seen include:

· The system showing more children in care than there are because of
duplicate child names.

· Reports contradicting each other on whether a child has been visited
for the month.

· Old-system information including addresses of children, information
about people involved in cases, and other data not converting to the new
system.

"We have to do a lot of work we normally wouldn't do because we can't
trust the data yet," Smith said.

While not specifically addressing the local issues, DCF officials said
some problems statewide have occurred because of errors by users.

Al Zimmerman, DCF spokesman, said early Tuesday the new system is
running successfully and will protect children better than in the past.
He said there haven't been any major issues, only minor ones that have
been addressed and continue to be addressed.

"It's a huge endeavor. It's a brand-new system," Zimmerman said. "It's
going to be necessary to make a few tweaks and work out a few things.
But that was expected."

Ron Zychowski, president of Community Partnership for Children, said the
problems his staff is having are not operator errors. He said all his
staff had "extensive training" and "that is not the issue."

"The reports we are getting are not accurate," Zychowski said.

CURRENTLY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES VIOLATES MORE CIVIL RIGHTS ON A
DAILY BASIS THEN ALL OTHER AGENCIES COMBINED INCLUDING THE NSA / CIA
WIRETAPPING PROGRAM....

CPS Does not protect children...
It is sickening how many children are subject to abuse, neglect and even
killed at the hands of Child Protective Services.

every parent should read this .pdf from
connecticut dcf watch...

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com/8x11.pdf

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com

Number of Cases per 100,000 children in the US
These numbers come from The National Center on
Child Abuse and Neglect in Washington. (NCCAN)
Recent numbers have increased significantly for CPS

*Perpetrators of Maltreatment*

Physical Abuse CPS 160, Parents 59
Sexual Abuse CPS 112, Parents 13
Neglect CPS 410, Parents 241
Medical Neglect CPS 14 Parents 12
Fatalities CPS 6.4, Parents 1.5

CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, HAPPILY DESTROYING HUNDREDS OF INNOCENT
FAMILIES YEARLY NATIONWIDE AND COMING TO YOU'RE HOME SOON...

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHERE YOUR CANDIDATES STANDS ON THE ISSUE OF
REFORMING OR ABOLISHING CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ("MAKE YOUR CANDIDATES
TAKE A STAND ON THIS ISSUE.") THEN REMEMBER TO VOTE ACCORDINGLY IF THEY
ARE "FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...