'I could hear Todd Gastaldo in my head'

Old May 12th 04, 05:18 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Default 'I could hear Todd Gastaldo in my head'

"I must also confess I could hear Todd Gastaldo in my head during this
birth - I wasn't determined to give
birth in any particular position but the pain was minimalised when I was
standing in a kind of standing squat..."
--Stephanieplum
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

Stephanieplum,

I am SO flattered! (See my brief account of my wife's similar birth story -
a fantastic HOMEBIRTH in PS2 below.)

Just remember: Women have their OWN inner voice to get them off their
backs/butts to allow their birth canals to open maximally.

French surgeon Michel Odent, MD indicated to me years ago (at a conference I
attended) that if women labor feeling unobserved they listen to THEMSELVES -
or rather they respond to what Odent calls the "fetus ejection reflex" and
SPONTANEOUSLY get off their backs/butts.

Early editions of Williams Obstetrics noted that women spontaneously assume
**an upright position** in late second stage.

(Note: One upright position - semisitting - CLOSES the birth canal. See my
plea to Dr. Sussman in PS2 below.)

Stephanieplum, I am SO flattered to see my name in this context but (I say
again): If women are allowed to labor feeling unobserved, they get off
their butts/backs THEMSELVES - spontaneously - or so says Odent.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS1 A 2004 book co-authored by John R. Sussman, MD indicates that
semisitting is a "bright idea" - that it opens the birth canal.

Semisitting CLOSES the birth canal - up to 30%.

See Dr. Sussman: Semisitting delivery is NOT a bright idea...

I get all depressed when I see things like what Dr. Sussman wrote in 2004...

Then I see posts like Stephanieplum's and my spirits are buoyed.

Thank you Stephanieplum!

And thanks also to other women who have mentioned me in their usenet posts -
and those who have written to thank me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

PS2 Stephanieplum alluded to a key HOMEBIRTH safety factor that happened to
her in the hospital - or so it seems to me...

Stephaniplum says of her hospital birth (see below) that she got to the
point where she "thought the pain was unbearable and yelled for an
epidural" - but she saw the midwife "wave away the Dr telling him it was too
late for either an IV or an epidural."

She continued: "After that, when I just accepted that this was it, the pain
was *heaps* easier. The birth was fantastic. I gave birth almost standing
up..."

This reminded me of my third son's birth. It was a fantastic homebirth -
quite close to the hospital in an apartment tower (8th floor?) down the hill
from Oregon Health Sciences University... My wife wanted pain relief (she
does not remember wanting it though). She was squatting - but she literally
STOOD to deliver. She too was "almost standing up."

She said that at one point, she sort of left her body and let it take
over...

What a rush it was for her after the birth! Her first vaginal birth!

Pinnacle experience for me too.

I am convinced that homebirth increases the frequency of the safety factor
that happened to Stephanieplum (pain relief not going to happen).

BTW, I think "pain relief not going to happen" was the RULE at Odent's birth
center - someone check my fact.

I LOVED this sentence from Stephanieplum - here it is again:

"After that, when I just accepted that this was it, the pain was *heaps*
easier. The birth was fantastic. I gave birth almost standing up..."

If men gave birth I am sure they would start EARLY in pregnancy begging for
epidurals!

I would at least! LOL! : )

I can TOTALLY understand women wanting epidurals.

They should have them - but they should be informed that OBs are doing
stupid things like closing birth canals...

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS3 The abovementioned John R. Sussman, MD (and Ann Douglas) say in their
2004 edition: "You should consider a homebirth only if...there are no red
flags in your obstetrical history (for example, you don't have a history of
difficult delivery of the baby's shoulders or one that required the use of
forceps or vacuum extractor; or a history of cesarean section, maternal
hemorrhage, or stillbirth)..." (p. 401, eBook version)

Sorry to get eMotional but...ARRRRGGGHHHH! MDs close birth canals up to 30%
and CAUSE shoulder dystocia and the need for forceps, vacuum extractors and
cesarean sections! To be sure, allowing the birth canal to open the "extra"
up to 30% is not going to prevent all birth problems - but WHY are OBs and
CNMwives closing birth canals and ignoring simple biomechanics and the
medical literature to do so?

NOTE: I am NOT opposed to hospital births! Women should birth where they
are most comfortable. I think some women would LOVE a hospital birth with
an experienced homebirth midwife.

OBs should stop illegally libeling homebirth and homebirth midwives. Not so
long ago MDs called homebirth "child abuse" - meanwhile OBs were (and still
are!) COMMITTING child abuse - obvious (sometimes fatal) child abuse - by
knowingly closing birth canals - and claiming they are opening birth canals!

See ACOG vs. Homebirth
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2528

It's an obvious crime to knowingly close birth canals. Our birthing
cultural authorities - OBs - *can't* stop because stopping the crime would
be tantamount to admitting it - which is why I am in favor of pardons in
advance for OBs. OBs are just academic prime cuts forced through this
culture's most powerful mental meatgrinder - medical school.

Pardons in advance will allow MDs to continue their valid medical work to be
able to pay the inevitable civil damages.

Copied to: John R. Sussman, MD via:

,
,
,
,
,

John, please immediately - publicly - tell the world that OBs are closing
birth canals - and how easy it is for women to allow their birth canals to
OPEN the "extra" up to 30%.

Shannon
asked:

Has anyone experienced a birth that was unmedicated and you went past
the point where you could have an epidural and it became unbearable?

Stephanieplum replied:

Yes. For my third baby I got to the point where I thought the pain was
unbearable and yelled for an epidural. I couldn't manage to keep still
enough for them to even get an IV in prior to the epidural. I then saw
the midwife wave away the Dr telling him it was too late for either an
IV or an epidrual.

After that, when I just accepted that this was it, the pain was
*heaps* easier. The birth was fantastic. I gave birth almost standing
up. The midwives threw sheets and pillows on the ground and "caught"
my baby - with me standing up and yelling "don't you dare drop him,
make sure you catch good!" (I must also confess I could hear Todd
Gastaldo in my head during this birth - I wasn't determined to give
birth in any particular position but the pain was minimalised when I
was standing in a kind of standing squat IYKWIM?)

I've had one birth with a full, numbing epidural, another with a
walking epidural and an unmedicated birth. The complete epidural wiped
me out for days, they used *huge* forceps, I had an episiotomy and I
had heaps of pain afterwards, could hardly sit down. The "walking
epidural" just numbed the pain a little, but enough to stop me
freaking out. I felt fantastic after this birth - no pain (except for
normal afterpains). The third unmedicated birth resulted in no pain
(afterpains though, of course) but I was physicallly exhausted, felt
like I'd run two marathons.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

END Stephanieplum's misc.kids.pregnancy post

Arrrgghhh... Forceps. And vacuums. OBs pull with the woman in semisitting
or dorsal - birth canal senselessly closed up to 30%.

Babies are so resilient. But some don't make it, some are paralyzed - but
most "only" have their necks wrenched.

Arrgghhhh...

CHIROS...

Babies routinely having their necks wrenched by MDs so chiropractic doctors
can fix the problems with GENTLE spinal manipulation...

A chiropractor's delight - NOT!

See Dorland's: Preventing VS by educating OBs (also: New defn of chiro in
Dorland's)

CHIROS:

See also: Vertebral genesis of functional disorders (i.e., dizziness)...

Thanks for reading everyone.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

Dr. Horkel's vagina stretcher (the EPI-NO) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 2 April 28th 04 12:36 AM
Todd Gastaldo Kereru Pregnancy 5 February 18th 04 05:24 AM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 07:57 PM
Is Trigon (Anthem) pushing NSAIDS in pregnancy? (also: Bob Woolery, DC publishes Gastaldo, risks censorship by Dubin/Zaleski) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 November 21st 03 04:16 PM
Footprints on the toilet seat/TCM version of Todd Gastaldo, DC? Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 October 16th 03 11:25 PM