A bit of a vent :-)

Old October 23rd 03, 07:01 PM
The Huwe Family

Default A bit of a vent :-)

Ok, I knew I was in for it when I had Triplets, but I never realized the
extent of how other people think that common courtesy doesn't apply when it
comes to interacting with people with multiple children. Here's what I mean
.. . .

Last Sunday, my mom, my DH, myself, and my children went to Babies R Us to
try to spend some of the gift certificates we received at our recent baby
shower. We practically could not move through the store because every time
we did, we had people stopping us with comments about our babies. That was
annoying after a while, but it was still ok. I know that triplets cause a
stir. But the questions they asked were totally uncalled for, and frankly,
none of their business. I had comments from "Did you use fertility?" to
"Are you breastfeeding?" I felt like asking them "If I had just one baby
here, would you be asking me these questions?"

My mom asked me if I expected all the attention caused by having triplets.
I told her that I had expected people to whisper about it to the people they
are with, but I had no idea that we would be stopped every 5 minutes by some
complete stranger wanting to look at them and ask questions. I took it in
stride, but my DH was getting quite angry because it took 3x as long to go
shopping as it normally would have if we had been left alone. (of course he
is operating on a lack of sleep also, causing him to not be as understanding
as he normally would have been. Ha Ha)

Gayle

Old October 23rd 03, 07:12 PM
Nikolette

My sympathies here too! My Dad once suggested having a T-shirt made with
all the answers to the stupid and sometimes rude questions people ask: Yes
they're twins, (or triplets), Yes they're a handful, No you couldn't do
that, Yes we're tired, They're being fed so don't worry about how, They're
here so don't worry about how, Yes they're double trouble, Yes they're
double blessings, etc . . . I can laugh about it now but I remember how
frustrating Walmart trips were . . .

Nik

"The Huwe Family" wrote in message
.com...
Ok, I knew I was in for it when I had Triplets, but I never realized the
extent of how other people think that common courtesy doesn't apply when

it
comes to interacting with people with multiple children. Here's what I

mean
. . .

Old October 23rd 03, 09:04 PM
H Schinske

Gayle ) wrote:

But the questions they asked were totally uncalled for, and frankly,
none of their business. I had comments from "Did you use fertility?" to
"Are you breastfeeding?"

Yup. People do that. It gets funny after a while. So far my favorite comments
have been the ones from (a) the intense lady in the health food store who
asked, "Do they have a psychic bond?" and (b) the teenager who said, "They
twins? You ****tin' me! They don't look **** alike."

--Helen

Old October 23rd 03, 09:14 PM
The Huwe Family

I haven't heard those ones yet. BTW Did you tell the teenager that you've
never seen two ****s alike anyway? And that you are blessed that they don't
look like ****.

Gayle

Old October 23rd 03, 10:08 PM
Twinzmommie

I was not prepared for the three ring circus I created whereever I went with my
twins, I can only imagine how much more of a spectacle it is with triplets.

I got to the point where I seriously thought about printing out a stack of
copies with the intrusive and ridiculous comments including answers and just
quietly handing them to people when they approached.

One thing that used to REALLY bother me was when people commented on the size
differerence between Riley and James. For most of the infant period Riley was
about 2-3 lbs bigger then James, yet she was 1lb smaller at birth. I would
hear things like, "WOW she is SO much bigger then him! She MUST have been born
first!" What is the logic there? Why do people assume that the larger baby is
the first one out? I became so annoyed by it on one or two occasions that I
snapped back, "Yes, she is bigger then him and if she still is when they are
about 14, I hope people will not make such an issue about it then!"

Anyhow, the good news is, as they get older it is not so obvious anymore and
the circus dies down quite a bit. At least that is the case for us! Thank
God!
Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael

Old October 23rd 03, 10:17 PM
KimandJuan

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!! OMG I really needed a good laugh. Thanks Helen. I thought I
had heard them all.

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

VENT: crappy lunchtime toypup General 5 April 28th 04 05:53 AM
odd pain vent Vicky Bilaniuk Pregnancy 14 March 1st 04 05:31 AM
frustrated with nurse advice VENT & question (long) toypup Pregnancy 20 February 18th 04 05:30 AM
Random vent Clisby Williams Pregnancy 55 August 21st 03 12:50 AM
I have to vent Denise Breastfeeding 17 July 22nd 03 03:05 AM