Why do parents keep doing this?

Old August 20th 04, 03:20 AM
Kaybee

I do know that my oldest uncle does wish that my grandparents had him
circumcised. Because when he joined the nave at like 17 or 18 I think it
was 17 they did it during his physical....and he said that he can still feel
the pain.

So I think that this child needs to stop complaining please. What is done
is done. And think of this. It is one less thing you have to clean

Kay

"Chotii" wrote in message

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message

Sure. My agenda is to let people choose, as far as practicable, what
happens to their own bodies. Fine by me if adults choose to get
circumcised, but I see no good reason to carry the procedure out

routinely
on newborns. What's your agenda?

Well, he has no agenda, naturally, Sarah. However, he is convinced that
"research" has declared "that the foreskin is a smelly and disgusting
item" - yes, I'm quite sure the researchers used that phrase in their
summary - and therefore, out of simple kindness toward all young boys
everywhere, he thinks they ought all to be divested of it without regard

medical necessity, or the child's wishes in later years.

--angela

Old August 20th 04, 05:27 AM
Chotii

"Kaybee" wrote in message

"Chotii" wrote in message

[...]

The fact that the US Military routinely treats its people as commodities -
even to this day - and will punish them for trying to protect their bodies -
is no justification for parents doing something to infants.

You know that pain he feels? Sometimes young boys, cut at birth, wind up
feeling it too. When you cut tissue away, you cut through nerves, and there
can be ghost pain from the removed tissue *forever*. I'm sorry your uncle
suffers. That's no reason others should also suffer.

Anyway, this boy is entitled to feel what he feels, want what he wants, and
mourn what he mourns. I don't think it's our place to tell him he shouldn't
feel, or want, or mourn, any more than we would say the same to someone who
had lost any other body part at birth. Or any woman who gets a cesarean or
an episiotomy she didn't want. Or anyone else whose body has been cut into.
Their bodies, you know, are *theirs*. I reckon they can feel anything they
want to feel.

To the OP, I still recommend connecting up with the restoration list on
eskimo.com

--angela

Old August 20th 04, 11:25 AM
Sarah Vaughan

In message , Briar Rabbit
writes
Sarah Vaughan wrote:

In message , Briar Rabbit

I must admit to ignorance. The vast body of evidence indicates that
the foreskin is a smelly and disgusting item and this collective
evidence must over ride your personal research in assorted men's rooms.

Must say I'm intrigued - how exactly was this collective evidence
collected? Blindfolded smell and taste tests conducted under
laboratory conditions? ;-)

How was your "test" carried out?

It wasn't a test, it was my personal sex life. Feel free to answer my
question at any point, BTW.

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley
Old August 20th 04, 11:31 AM
Sarah Vaughan

In message , Briar Rabbit
writes
Sarah Vaughan wrote:

In message , Briar Rabbit

I am not saying they are automatically unhappy. I would love to know
how the deal with the stink though.

I've never found that there is a stink. I've had one partner whose
smell I had a bit of a problem with, but even then I wouldn't go as
far as calling it a stink. Remembering what a flake this man was in
other ways, I suspect his personal hygiene just wasn't all that could
be desired. I've never found it to be a problem at all with any of
the other men I've been with.

What is the size of your sample? It is not a trick question to see how
much of a slag your are but rather to understand the statistical basis
behind your assertion.

Does that mean that it's a trick question to try to twist it into a
claim that I _was_ making some sort of statistical assertion?

Sorry, that wasn't very clear, was it? What I mean is: Suppose I tell
you the number, is your next question or statement going to be along the
lines of "So you're claiming that foreskins don't stink despite only
having had experience with X number of foreskins, which is clearly not
enough for a valid sample size"?

Sarah

Old August 20th 04, 11:33 AM
Sarah Vaughan

In message , Briar Rabbit
writes

I believe that male circumcision is a perfectly acceptable parental
decision as a result of religious, cultural or medical considerations.

What about female circumcision?

Sarah

Old August 20th 04, 11:37 AM
Sarah Vaughan

In message , Kaybee
writes
I do know that my oldest uncle does wish that my grandparents had him
circumcised. Because when he joined the nave at like 17 or 18 I think
it was 17 they did it during his physical....and he said that he can
still feel the pain.

Does he think he would have felt less pain if he'd had it done as a
baby? Actually, chances are he would have felt more, if anything,
because at that stage the foreskin is still adherent to the glans, so
the surgeon not only has to cut through skin but also rip it away from
the sensitive bit underneath. BTW, why did the Navy do it?

So I think that this child needs to stop complaining please. What is
done is done. And think of this. It is one less thing you have to
clean

Well, by that logic we could have all sorts of body parts amputated and
not mind about it on the basis that it's one less thing to wash. Hell,
with the trouble I'm having with athlete's foot lately, I'm starting to
think it might have been a great idea if my parents had had my toes
amputated when I was a baby. ;-)

All the best,

Sarah

Old August 20th 04, 03:57 PM
Kaybee

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
In message , Kaybee
writes
I do know that my oldest uncle does wish that my grandparents had him
circumcised. Because when he joined the nave at like 17 or 18 I think
it was 17 they did it during his physical....and he said that he can
still feel the pain.

Does he think he would have felt less pain if he'd had it done as a
baby? Actually, chances are he would have felt more, if anything,
because at that stage the foreskin is still adherent to the glans, so
the surgeon not only has to cut through skin but also rip it away from
the sensitive bit underneath. BTW, why did the Navy do it?

They did it for help of no infection. He was in a war where they didn't get
a chance to take showers and such.

I am sorry if I started a war. I was just voicing my opinion.

Kay

Old August 20th 04, 05:50 PM
Briar Rabbit

Kaybee wrote:
"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message

Does he think he would have felt less pain if he'd had it done as a
baby? Actually, chances are he would have felt more, if anything,
because at that stage the foreskin is still adherent to the glans, so
the surgeon not only has to cut through skin but also rip it away from
the sensitive bit underneath. BTW, why did the Navy do it?

They did it for help of no infection. He was in a war where they didn't get
a chance to take showers and such.

I am sorry if I started a war. I was just voicing my opinion.

Kay

Kay, now you have learned that the skin freaks are very touchy when it
comes to reports of delinquent foreskins. They just have to tackle your
assertions as they are absolutely obsessed with proving the foreskin
benign.

But try as they might, it is as the man said:

“The proponents of not circumcising stress that lifelong penile hygiene
is essential. This acknowledges that something harmful or unpleasant is
happening under the prepuce.” - Russell T, Med Observer 1993

Old August 20th 04, 08:25 PM
Catherine Woodgold

Briar Rabbit ) writes:
Sarah Vaughan wrote:
According to the study you quoted below, it took up to three weeks for
men to get back to work. So it sounds to me as though it causes
significant discomfort in at least some cases. Now, of course,

Actually it said: "Men reported returning to work after a median of 3
days (range 0-21) and to general activities after a median of 1 day (0-3
days)."

Where I live (Canada), 21 days is equal to three weeks. How many
days are there in one week where you live, Briar Rabbit? :-)
--
Cathy
Old August 20th 04, 09:50 PM
Jake Waskett

Dave {Reply Address in.sig} wrote:

In message , Briar Rabbit wrote:

But try as they might, it is as the man said:

?The proponents of not circumcising stress that lifelong penile hygiene
is essential. This acknowledges that something harmful or unpleasant is
happening under the prepuce.? - Russell T, Med Observer 1993

Lifelong armpit hygiene is also essential. However, I don't see many
people advocating removal of both arms to avoid the necessity.

Arms, however, are useful.