Floride Question

Old July 15th 04, 06:04 PM
Tori M.

Default Floride Question

My dr. gave Bonnie a perscription for Floride but we never used it.. we
filled it once but at the time I read dont mix with dairy and she was still
mainly on formula so did not see the point. Now every time I go to the Dr
he asks if I am doing the floride and I say we have it but dont use it and
he tries to give us a new perscriptions. We dont have treated water. It is
better then Bottled in quality and taste.. The old landlord replaced all the
piping with PVC so dont have to worry about lead. Should I give Bonnie the
Floride? Her teeth seem healthy and i am worried about Mottling of her
teeth if I give her the floride.. I knew a little boy with that and it was
awful..
I posted this in M.K.P as well.. not a cross post though

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old July 15th 04, 10:14 PM
Sue

Since your water doesn't have flouride in it, then yes I would personally.
As a mom with two kids that have 5 cavities between them, anything you can
do to prevent cavities and the trauma of having them filled, then yes a
little flouride is not too much to ask.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old July 16th 04, 03:26 AM
dejablues

"Sue" wrote in message
Since your water doesn't have flouride in it, then yes I would personally.
As a mom with two kids that have 5 cavities between them, anything you can
do to prevent cavities and the trauma of having them filled, then yes a
little flouride is not too much to ask.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

When I took my youngest (6.5) to the dentist and found he had (!) three
cavities, I kicked myself for my laziness in not giving him the
pediatrician-prescribed fluoride supplements that I'd given to the older two
(almost 15 and 11, who have had one cavity each) . The dentist said
"Inner-city kids on welfare have better teeth than the affluent kids in the
suburbs, because the city still puts fluoride in the water!"
We have well water, but public water here has no fluoride. Shame!

Old July 16th 04, 04:32 AM
Tori M.

I was wondering if it would be harmful if she took it.. You are both saying
that the floride makes a differance with cavities though.. I dont know.. I
just dont like to use unneccasary meds and have seen the floride as such. I
guess I will start using it if it is not harmful.

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old July 16th 04, 12:51 PM
enigma

"Tori M." wrote in
:

I was wondering if it would be harmful if she took it.. You
are both saying that the floride makes a differance with
cavities though.. I dont know.. I just dont like to use
unneccasary meds and have seen the floride as such. I
guess I will start using it if it is not harmful.

if you don't have floride in your water & don't use floride
toothpaste, then giving her the floride vitamins is not going
to cause floridoisis (the white or brown spots on the teeth).
i don't give Boo the prescription floride because it tastes
NASTY & he wouldn't take it, so why waste the money? i get the
kid's floridated bottled water (Dannon makes one, but there
are store brands that are a bit less). the kid bottles are 8
oz., i think. he drinks more regular water, but one doesn't
need much floride really. he started drinking from those sport
top water bottles at 4 months (he never used a baby bottle) &
they're a handy size for carseat cupholders.
lee
Old July 16th 04, 01:56 PM
Sue

"Tori M." wrote in message
I was wondering if it would be harmful if she took it.. You are both

saying
that the floride makes a differance with cavities though.. I dont know.. I
just dont like to use unneccasary meds and have seen the floride as such.

guess I will start using it if it is not harmful.

It's only harmful if you overdose on it. If there is fluoride in the
drinking water, fluoride in the toothpaste and then give fluoride tablets or
the mouthwash stuff, then that is way too much and there could be a risk of
fluorosis. Since you have no fluoride at all, then there will be no harm in
it. Look at it this way, do you want to possibly traumatize her because she
will have to go and have cavities filled and possibly have a fear of the
dentist or wouldn't be easier to just give her the tablets or have her use
fluoridated toothpaste. I think once again the media has scared people about
something that really isn't as harmful as it is and does a great deal of
good. I spoke to my pediatric dentist about the fluoride issue and she said
that the issue is wether or not people really need to be ingesting it into
their stomachs (as in the water). She feels that using fluoride directly on
the teeth (as in the tablets or the mouthwash stuff, like ACT) is better
because it delivers the medicine right where it needs to be and not into the
stomachs. So you're actually in a better situation than the rest of us
because I do have fluoride in the water and use fluroide toothpaste and use
ACT because two of my children's teeth already have cavities. My dentist
also said that flossing your teeth is the single most thing you could do to
prevent cavities. But, is your daughter at her age going to let you floss
her teeth?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old July 16th 04, 03:10 PM
Sally

"dejablues" wrote in message news:2losn4Ff9og4U1@uni- . The dentist said
"Inner-city kids on welfare have better teeth than the affluent kids in the
suburbs, because the city still puts fluoride in the water!"

Your dentists is soooo wrong. Actually dental health crises exist in
most U.S. fluoridated cities. See:
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof2/_pgg6.php3

and

http://www.enn.com/direct/display-re...B93DC906D7E56F

In fact, after decades of water fluoridation the U.S. Surgeon General
declared tooth decay a national epidemic.

As far as fluoride supplements are concerned, it appears your dentist
isn't up on the new reports which show swallowing fluoride confers no
benefit. Only topical fluoride gets absorbed into the outer enamel.
But fluoride will never make up for a diet high in sugar and low in
fruits and vegetables.

Sally Stride
Suite 101 Fluoridation Editor
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/fluoridation
Old November 14th 05, 02:23 PM
angelfromheaven

The back of a tube or bottle of toothpaste reads:
Active Ingredient - Sodium Floride
Read the WARNINGS - Keep out of reach of children. In case of accidental
ingestion, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center
immediately.

Old November 14th 05, 04:53 PM
MsLiz

angelfromheaven wrote:
The back of a tube or bottle of toothpaste reads:
Active Ingredient - Sodium Floride
Read the WARNINGS - Keep out of reach of children. In case of accidental
ingestion, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center
immediately.

Fluoride always scared me and I reluctantly used it and I used it in
spurts.

I gave my children the drops when they were little (intermittently).
The dentist
pushed me to put topical flouride on my son's teeth when he was sort of
6 or so. He threw up and I decided NO more flouride. Period. His
teeth are totally fine (and he's 27 with no cavities) and we only drank
bottled water his whole life (untreated) and we used Tom's toothpaste
without flouride. I have to
say though, I was diligent (bordering on neurotic) about cleaning his
teeth. He loved raisins and whenever possible, I brushed his teeth
right after eating them or
at least had him "swish" with water. He wasn't much of a "sweets" kid
so sugar on his teeth wasn't an issue.

Then there's my daughter. Knowing what a "sweets" kid she is, I do
give her the twice a year topical fluoride (however you spell it, it
never looks right!). She is 11 and knock on wood, hasn't had any
cavities. My two children are almost 17 years apart and both of their
dentists have emphasized the importance of brushing and the sugar
factor. They have both encouraged flouride drops and treatments but
diet plays a major role also. I'm not just talking about junk sugar;
it's
natural sugars from fruits and such too. Both of my kids were
breastfed forever and the only thing that they drank in a bottle was
water...plain old water. As I understand it, some kids have bad decay
early when they're given bottles in their crib with juice.

And for what it's worth...all of our dentists have recommended that the
halloween candy be given a week to eat as much as you want rather than
spread it out over the ensuing months. The daily sugar takes its toll
moreso than a week of major sugar.

Old November 15th 05, 11:15 AM

Tooth decay is simply another symptom of a bad diet. Modern science
shows ingested fluoride confers no benefits as it was once thought to
have. Fluoride incorporates into enamel topically only. However,
fluoride's adverse effects such as discolored teeth and bone damage
occur- at doses just slightly higher then what dentists deem "optimal."

No child is fluoride deficient. And fluoride deficiency does not lead
to tooth decay.
Unlike essential nutrients whose deficiency causes disease, fluoride
"deficiencey" does not lead to tooth decay. And the fluoride
concentration in tooth enamel is not related to less or more tooth
decay.

Nutrients such as calcium, phosphorous, vitamins A, D, C and K are all
required for sound teeth. Lack of these nutrients will make teeth more
susceptible to tooth decay. Too many American children are Calcium and
Vitamin D deficient. And too many American children eat junk foods that
not only containing tooth damaging sugras but also replace those foods
that contain the essential nutrients that will make their teeth strong.

However, fluoride does benefit Colgate, Procter & Gamble, Johnson &
Johnson. You rearely, if ever, hear dentists promoting nutrients -
it's always fluoride, fluoride, fluoride - despite evidence in their
own journals which show American children are fluoride over dosed and
it's actually ruining their teeth while tooth decay has become an
epidemic in poor children - the ones who dentists claim are most helped
by water fluoridation.

New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation.
www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof
www.FluorideAction.Net

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
Intro, and Toddler/Daycare Question Betty Woolf General 4 December 3rd 03 03:25 PM