What to mix with formula besides water to make taste better?

Old June 25th 07, 10:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default What to mix with formula besides water to make taste better?

My daughter is about 7months old, and my wife's milk supply is
starting to diminish.
We started mixing cereal with her milk to bulk it up about a month or
so ago, and she took to that readily.
We have been trying to find something to help supplement her
increasing diet, especially when she is hungry at night.
Although we have had some success mixing small amounts of formula with
breast milk and cereal, she will not take the formula when mixed with
water.
We have been trying the Enfamil lacto free lipil (which my son took
with no problem when he was an infant, but I guess my daughter is
pickier)
Clearly we want to find something she will eat besides breast milk so
that we are prepared.
1) Is there anything else we can try to mix with formula besides water
to make it better tasting? I am wondering about soy milk, or rice
milk.
2) Anyone know of a better tasting formula to try?
Old June 25th 07, 11:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy
Me Myself and I[_2_]

You have to mix it with water. If you do not it will affect the water
content, this in turn can make your daughter VERY ill. Formula must be make
exactly to the instructions on the pack using cooled boiled water.
Incorrect mixing of formula can cause salt imbalances which is very serious.
If she doesn't like the formula try changing brands. Or just wait it out,
most children will eventually get used to it.

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - March 02 - 4lb 12oz
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - Feb 05 - 3lb 14oz
I'm two and what a Demon I can be!!

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old June 25th 07, 11:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Your wife's supply may have started to diminish because you are mixing
cereal into your daughter's milk a month ago. Adding the cereal is probably
stretching out your daughter's feeds, which is telling your wife's breasts
that they don't need to make as much milk.

The best way for your wife to increase her production is to stay home all
weekend and have a "feed in". Have her eat lots of oatmeal for breakfast
this week, drink fenugreek tea, have a guiness each night and stay really
hydrated, and let the baby eat as long and as often as she wants. Then this
weekend, have your wife stay around the house and let the baby eat any time,
as often and as long as she wants. Do not give formula during this time,
just let baby go back to the breast. The breast never actually empties, it
just makes more milk as you go. So the more that baby suckles, the more
milk that baby will get, and the more signals the breasts will get that they
need to produce more milk.

What formula "tastes" better will be completely dependant on your child.
I'd buy small cans of all of the different brands and taste test them, then
donate the remains to a woman's shelter.

The other thing to take into account is that whatever formula you try, is
going to taste -different- to her than breast milk. So she's likely not
going to like any of them. What we did when transitioning from formula to
milk (also a different taste), is mix it 1/4 formula to 3/4 milk, then 1/2
formula & 1/2 milk, then 3/4 milk to 1/4 formula, over the course of a week
or three. This helps transition the child and gets them used to the taste.
Sort of like switching from drinking whole milk to non-fat -- if you do it
in one step, you can REALLY tell the difference, and the non-fat tastes thin
and weak and terrible. But, if you step down slowly over the course of a
week or two, from whole, to 2%, to 1%, to non-fat, the transition is barely
noticiable.

But remember, the more formula you give the child, the less breastmilk the
child will need, and therefore the less breastmilk that your wife will make,
thus reinforcing that you will need to provide more formula for your
child...
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old June 26th 07, 03:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy
cjra

On Jun 25, 4:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

You *must* mix it with water, exactly as the instructions state. It's
formulated so that with the water it has the right balance. Using any
other liquid can be problematic. However, once *mixed* with water, you
*can* mix it with other things, like cereal, or 1/2 EBM.

Don't mix the EBM with the powdered formula. Make the formula with
water and then split it with EBM. I *think* soy and rice milks aren't
recommended until about 12 months of age.

I'd second Jaime's suggested to have a nurse in. Supplementing with
anything is a killer on supply.

Old June 26th 07, 05:40 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy
Chris

On Jun 25, 5:21?pm, wrote:
[...]

First of all, you should never mix formula with anything OTHER than
water when it is the primary source of nutrition for a baby. If you
are basing your choice of formula for her on the experience you had
with your first, you need to rethink that. I did the same from my
first to my second, only to find out that she tolerated the formula I
used with my first just fine, but I had avoided it making the same
assumption you are. Just start off with the full-iron regular formula
and then work with it from there. I have been told that all other
forms have differing tastes, with the taste going downhill for the
more special-needs-type formulas.

Old June 26th 07, 04:19 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

wrote in message
My daughter is about 7months old, and my wife's milk supply is
starting to diminish.
We started mixing cereal with her milk to bulk it up about a month or
so ago, and she took to that readily.
We have been trying to find something to help supplement her
increasing diet, especially when she is hungry at night.
Although we have had some success mixing small amounts of formula with
breast milk and cereal, she will not take the formula when mixed with
water.

Then if this is the case, too bad for her. She needs to either a) go back
to the breast or b) take formula when made properly only, and that is made
with water, as the directions say.
I believe it's also not recommended to put baby cereals into bottles, as it
is thicker and all that. Not 100% sure of the reasons, but I think I've
heard something about choking due to the cereal being thicker. Mix your
formula with water, put some cereal in a bowl, add some of your already made
formula in the cereal and feed with a spoon. Try this just before bed time,
and maybe she'll hold off longer through the night?

We have been trying the Enfamil lacto free lipil (which my son took
with no problem when he was an infant, but I guess my daughter is
pickier)

Every baby seems to be so different, even other older/younger siblings and
twins.
My first 2 would take whatever. Both boys would eat it if it was food,
regardless if it came from a breast or from a bottle. Food was food. One
showed definite preference for a breast over a bottle and breast milk over
formulas. Both boys also had to have the soy based formulas and one had a
slight reaction to cow's milk shortly after a year of age, but a month
later, when tried again, he was fine. DD1 started refusing a breast. She
started to lose weight around 5 months or so, but she took a bottle just
fine. DD2, to this day, will absolutely refuse a bottle of any sort (we've
tried EBM only, not formula, and she refuses the bottle) She also refuses
to do much of anything with a sippy cup, other than play with it, and she is
now 8 months. Point is, just because one was this way doesn't always mean
another will be.

Clearly we want to find something she will eat besides breast milk so
that we are prepared.

If she's 7 months, does she have any other food she eats? (cereals, pureed
food, whatever?)

1) Is there anything else we can try to mix with formula besides water
to make it better tasting? I am wondering about soy milk, or rice
milk.

Yes, and no. You need to make the formula with water. Not cow's milk, not
soy, rice or breast milk. Not juices or sodas. Formula needs to be
originally prepared with water. From that point, you can

2) Anyone know of a better tasting formula to try?

No. I've never really drank formula, and I don't know many that have either
that would be able to say which one tastes good and which ones don't. I
wouldn't be so sure to jump to the conclusion that it's the particular brand
of formula that she doesn't like. Maybe, as others have suggested, a nurse
in would be beneficial? It might be worth a shot.

Old June 26th 07, 04:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy
Chris

On Jun 26, 11:19?am, "xkatx" wrote:
wrote in message

My daughter is about 7months old,

You can spoon feed the cereal at 7 months of age. Adding cereal to
bottles is only recommended for certain conditions, and even then
there is a precise mixture formulated and nipple type to accommodate
it. There is a choking hazard with adding cereal to a bottle for
children with swallowing problems that aren't always evident and some
other conditions as well, but it doesn't pose a risk if done correctly
according to recommendations for the average healthy child.

Old June 27th 07, 05:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

On Jun 25, 5:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

I have a 5 month old and he has always been on formula. I think you
just need to keep giving it to her and eventually she will eat it. I
just started giving him cereal on a spoon and he hated it for the
first 2 days, but now he loves it. He is in enfamil pro soybean and he
has never had a problem. She will get used to it, but you need to be
able to deal w a few nights of crying. As far as nightime goes, is she
still waking up to eat. At 7 months she should be sleeping through the
night. I think...

Should I use bottled baby water to make formula, to avoid dental fluorosis? Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward General 21 April 20th 07 07:23 PM
To make your eyes water... Pip Pregnancy 1 January 24th 05 02:34 PM
formula and water Jean Kids Health 1 June 28th 04 10:55 PM
Spring water and formula Tig General 13 January 23rd 04 03:01 PM
formula taste a threat?? iphigenia Breastfeeding 3 July 25th 03 12:11 AM