Lily's Birth Story (Long)

Old March 16th 04, 08:03 PM
New York Jen

Default Lily's Birth Story (Long)

I woke up at 3:30 am on March 13 with a painful contraction. Since I had
some of these for two nights preceding Laszlo's actual arrival, I discounted
that they were real labor and tried going back to sleep. Didn't work. By
5:30 the contractions were more regular and getting increasingly painful. I
hopped in the shower, shaved the legs, double checked the hospital bag and
waited to call the doctor. Once I spoke with her, she suggested getting to
the hospital to get checked.

My mom came over to watch Laszlo, who was still sleeping. It was very hard
leaving not being able to say goodbye to him, since it was our last moment
of being just a 3-person family. I tried putting the excitement of Lily's
impending arrival ahead of my mourning for Laszlo's only childness and we
were on our way.

I was 3 cm dilated by the time we got to the hospital and only 50% effaced.
My blood pressure was high at first, which is always the case with me, and
then it went down. They said that they'd be admitting me since I was
contracting and since I was dilated and since it was my second child. I
walked around the hospital and looked in the nursery. Seeing all the brand
new babies got me even more excited to meet MY brand new baby. They had
given me 2 hours to walk around, checking the baby's heart rate every half
hour in between. By the time the 2 hours were up, we had been assigned a
labor and delivery room and my pain was getting worse. I had to pee after
each contraction, so I knew that she was getting lower and putting increased
pressure on my bladder. I was having these fantasies of getting checked and
having them tell me it was too late for an epidural.and having to push her
out naturally. The pain was so intense I thought for sure I was 9 cm
already. Nope. Totally wrong. By the time they finally came to check me I
was still 3 cm and up to 90% effaced. I wanted my epidural.

Since my blood pressure was erratic, the resident OB wanted to run the
preeclampsia tests. Apparently the epidural had to wait until at least one
of these results returned. It was supposed to take an hour, but of course
took somewhere over 2 hours. I knew I didn't have preeclampsia, but the
doctors never listen and don't want the liability. Each test result came
back individually and they were all normal, as I knew they would be. The
same thing happened with Laszlo, but at a later stage so I already had my
pain medication.

When I had seen my OB on Thursday, she told me that another doctor would be
covering for them over the weekend. I knew that my doctors covered for Dr.
S. since she's a sole practitioner, but never assumed it would be the other
way as well. I had only heard good things about Dr. S., so I wasn't that
nervous, although you do sort of want to know the person who will deliver
your child. I was so sure I'd be late, that I wasn't that concerned, and
again, a friend uses this doctor and raves about her. Once Dr. S. came in
the room, I was so relieved. She has the best presence, just calming and
she touches your hand when she talks to you. She said that she wanted to
give me some Pitocin and break my water to get my contractions in a good
rhythm. At that point, I was only contracting every 3-8 minutes, without
regularity (but with lots of pain). I was dreading the Pitocin without pain
relief since I had that last time as well, but I felt I had to trust this
woman and they had already sent in the anesthesia nurse to interview me
about the epidural, so basically once my contractions were on the right
pattern, we would have them administer it.

Dr. S. was trying to break my water and was having difficulty. I was having
a lot of pain while she was doing it. She said that she thought she was
hitting the baby's head with the hook. Turns out at some point, unbeknownst
to anyone, my water had broken on its own. There was meconium in the
fluid - again, something that happened with Laszlo - and they had to put an
irrigation amniotic thing in to flush out the uterus and protect Lily from
aspirating any of it. Once this was in place, they ordered the Pitocin and
I braced myself for the pain I knew was to come.

I have to say, I was doubting the doctor and getting pretty ****ed off
because I felt like I wasn't being listened to - which is something I really
hate. I knew that I was going to be in pain and I guess I was just really
dreading it, considering the labor pains were all starting in my back and
hurt more than I remember them hurting with Laszlo. Within 10 minutes of
having the Pitocin put in the drip, I was retching in pain. BUT, within
another few minutes, my contractions were 3 minutes apart and very regular,
so Dr. S. indeed knew what she was doing. Her prediction was that once
these measures took place that I'd "fly" and that I'd have the baby "around
4:00."

The anesthesiologist came in and started the epidural. She had trouble
getting it in (just my luck) because she said my ligaments were really
tight. She didn't believe me when I said I didn't work out at all. I guess
schlepping a 30 + pound two year old around all day builds up those back
muscles! She managed to get the catheter in and then the pain relief
started. I knew it would take a few more painful contractions before the
epidural was really working, but man, those things are AWESOME. Once the
epidural was in and working, I went from 4-10 cm in about 45 minutes, which
I thought was unheard of! I was ready to push!

It was just Dr. S., Mary the LDR nurse and Robert in the room when I started
pushing. They told me to take a deep breath first, let it out, then push
for a count of 10 three times with each contraction. With Laszlo, my pain
relief was limited to my left side because they had me lying on that side
due to elevated blood pressure. This time I had full pain relief and it
made the biggest difference. I have a new found respect for women that go
through this without medication. I really thought I could hold off,
although I didn't have any definite plans, and it just wasn't possible for
me. I don't feel badly that I took the epidural, and I recommend it highly
to anyone who feels they need it. I just think that women who are able to
do this without it are a special breed and have a special kind of strength
and determination that I don't possess. Guess I'm a big wimp after all,
huh.

I only had to push for 4 rounds and she was out. The pushing was not even
that strenuous and I had to keep asking if I was doing enough. No ripping,
no episiotomy, no stitches. I felt much more involved in this labor and
delivery than my first. It was such an empowering feeling. With Laszlo, I
was hooked up to monitors as soon as we arrived because my fluid was low and
I was depending on my doctors for everything, since I just plain didn't know
any better. This time, thanks to my previous experience, my two plus years
being a parent, and a wealth of information I have garnered participating in
the MKP and MKB newsgroups, I felt way more in control. Robert got video
from the moment her head was out until she was totally out. The cord was
around her neck twice - again, JUST like Laszlo - but she was totally fine.
Pediatrics was there since meconium was present, and they worked on her for
a few minutes suctioning everything out. She was so pink and adorable and I
could not wait to hold her. She has little scratches on the back of her
head from where the hook was attempting to break my (already broken) water,
but other than that - perfect.

Once they were done, I got her in my arms and gave her a good once over.
She is the spitting image of her daddy, which is just so cute. I was able
to nurse within her first half our of outside life and that felt great. She
latched right on like a champ and has been nursing as well ever since, bless
her lil heart.

My thoughts immediately went to Laszlo and we called my mom to tell her that
Lily had arrived and to see how the big brother was doing. He had his
moments that day; he didn't really understand where I was or what was going
on. Robert went home to him that evening and they had some guy time
together. He cried for me throughout the day, but all in all he handled it
really well. Robert brought Laszlo to see us the next day and Laszlo was
disoriented but did really well considering. At first he didn't have any
interest in Lily at all, but then later on I was nursing her and he came
over to try and sit next to me. I invited him on up, then he realized Lily
was there and he said, "Bye Bye Lily" - to which we all laughed since he
really does know that it was THAT baby in mommy's belly all this time. We
weren't sure if he'd understand the belly to baby transition, but he seems
to. I explained to him that Lily is going to drink from mommy's boobie, so
he calls her "Lily Boobie." It's pretty damn cute. When she was crying
last night, he said, "Lily crying" and he's made some other observations
about her actions. When he sees her moving around in the bassinet, he leans
over and looks at her inquisitively. He's cleaning up in the present
department (mostly from Daddy going to BJ's this morning and coming home
with a HUGE truck and a really cool set of crayons). I'm sure all the new
toys are easing his transition to big brotherhood as well!

Last night we were all in bed together and I invited Laszlo to touch her.
He said, "Nice Lily" and touched her on the belly. I'm so proud of him and
optimistic now about how he's going to be in the future. All my worrying
about the stay in the hospital was unfounded, luckily. I should have had
faith in my lil man and his upbringing thus far and known that he would be
ok. We'll see how he continues to handle this change.

When we first got home yesterday, the sun was shining and it was over 50
degrees. I sent Robert upstairs to put some stuff away and I stayed outside
with my two beautiful kids. I'm beyond grateful for what I have. I know
that there are going to be challenging times coming up, but that it's all
going to be so worth it. I'm the luckiest chick in the whole world.

PICTURES:
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b34c2564e42f

Thanks for reading thus far!

- Jen

Old March 16th 04, 08:17 PM
Carla

Oooh, I'm so excited for you! Great story and even better pictures --

Congrats on your new little beauty!

Carla

Old March 16th 04, 08:22 PM
Larissa

New York Jen wrote:
[...]

Congratulations Jen! What a great birth story, experience of an earlier
birth certainly makes a difference. You are much more informed, it is
sad the 'professionals' didn't listen to you, but it seems common.

Sounds like Laszlo will be just fine, it is wonderful to see siblings
first meet and interact.

Larissa
DD Feb99
DS Mar01
DD2 Dec03

Old March 16th 04, 08:45 PM
Em

"New York Jen" wrote in message
snip
When we first got home yesterday, the sun was shining and it was over 50
degrees. I sent Robert upstairs to put some stuff away and I stayed

outside
with my two beautiful kids. I'm beyond grateful for what I have. I know
that there are going to be challenging times coming up, but that it's all
going to be so worth it. I'm the luckiest chick in the whole world.

Thanks for sharing your story, Jen! It sounds like things went great. I'm
glad you felt more empowered by this birth.

Congrats again and welcome to Lily! I hope the transition period is a smooth
one for you all!

--
Em
mama to L-baby, almost 6 months old!

Old March 16th 04, 09:18 PM
Anne Rogers

The anesthesiologist came in and started the epidural. She had trouble
getting it in (just my luck) because she said my ligaments were really
tight. She didn't believe me when I said I didn't work out at all. I guess
schlepping a 30 + pound two year old around all day builds up those back
muscles! She managed to get the catheter in and then the pain relief
started. I knew it would take a few more painful contractions before the
epidural was really working, but man, those things are AWESOME. Once the
epidural was in and working, I went from 4-10 cm in about 45 minutes, which
I thought was unheard of! I was ready to push!

not totally unheard of, some people react very quickly to pitocin, I've
heard of many many people who have gone from 2ish to 10 in under 2 hours,
personally I went 5cm to head past the cervix in around 5 minutes.

Great to hear you story, congratulations again.
Old March 16th 04, 09:19 PM
Coccinella

What a wonderful birth story, Jen and how beautiful Lily is! The pictures
and the story cheered me up (even Hagen Daz had failed yesterday!).

Congratulations to all of you and welcome to Lily Parker.

Love

--
Nicky

EDD March 26, '04. It's a girl!

Fur Babies

Old March 16th 04, 09:52 PM
Circe

Anne Rogers wrote:
Once the
epidural was in and working, I went from 4-10 cm in about 45
minutes, which I thought was unheard of! I was ready to push!

not totally unheard of, some people react very quickly to pitocin,
I've heard of many many people who have gone from 2ish to 10 in
under 2 hours, personally I went 5cm to head past the cervix in
around 5 minutes.

Even without pitocin, dilation can progress really quickly. With my second,
I went from 3-10cm in about an hour and that was a completely unaugmented
labor. One of the major fallacies you find in the medical understanding of
labor is that dilation progresses on some sort of linear path. It doesn't,
and it's not at all unusual for dilation to progress in fits and starts or
to suddenly progress from nearly nothing to complete.

Great to hear you story, congratulations again.

Yes, definitely. I looked at the photos. Lily's darling (I especially like
the breastfeeding photos--I think I have one of those of each of my kids and
I think they're always so cute!) and Laszlo is a doll, too!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [2] mom)

Old March 16th 04, 09:54 PM
Fer

Congrats again Jen! Lily is beautiful It's always great to read a
wonderful birth story, thanks for sharing!!
--?

Jenn
-WAHM
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-Jellyfish due June 25/04

Old March 16th 04, 10:43 PM
She's A Goddess

"New York Jen" wrote in message
et...

PICTURES:
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b34c2564e42f

Thanks for reading thus far!

Thanks for sharing! She's beautiful Jen, and Lazlo is as cute as ever.
Were you amazed at how much simpler breastfeeding is when one of you
already knows how to do it?

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (2 1/2 years) and O. Boy (8 1/2 months)

Old March 16th 04, 11:03 PM
Carol Ann

:: Last night we were all in bed together and I invited Laszlo to touch her.
:: He said, "Nice Lily" and touched her on the belly. I'm so proud of him
and
:: optimistic now about how he's going to be in the future. All my worrying
:: about the stay in the hospital was unfounded, luckily. I should have had
:: faith in my lil man and his upbringing thus far and known that he would
be
:: ok. We'll see how he continues to handle this change.
::
:: When we first got home yesterday, the sun was shining and it was over 50
:: degrees. I sent Robert upstairs to put some stuff away and I stayed
outside
:: with my two beautiful kids. I'm beyond grateful for what I have. I know
:: that there are going to be challenging times coming up, but that it's all
:: going to be so worth it. I'm the luckiest chick in the whole world.
::
:: PICTURES:
:: http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b34c2564e42f
::
:: Thanks for reading thus far!
::
:: - Jen

Oh, Jen, I'm just so happy for you and your family. What a wonderful life
you have. You are truly blessed.

Thank YOU for sharing your labor and delivery journey with us. I felt I was
there with you....

~Carol Ann