Bedrest in first trimester?

Old April 23rd 04, 04:20 PM
Donna Metler

Default Bedrest in first trimester?

I just had a home pregnancy test turn up positive on Tuesday, and started
spotting Wednesday night. Thursday, my OB confirmed the pregnancy, and sent
me home with orders to stay in bed with my feet up, and come in for a second
pregnancy test on Monday, to see what the hormone levels are doing. I am
approximately 4 weeks at this point. According to him, usually this is just
"normal implantation bleeding" and doesn't neccesarily indicate an early
miscarriage.

My question is-does this mean I'm going to be stuck on bedrest through the
entire pregnancy? I'm already considered to be high risk because I lost one
baby to HELLP syndrome, and I knew I might end up on bedrest in the mid
second trimester, but I never expected anything so early-I'm already bored
stiff after one day. (Although my husband moving the computer helps), and I
think 8 months of this will drive both my husband and I totally insane!

Old April 23rd 04, 04:24 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

[...]

For me, I spotted early in both pregnancies, and only stayed on modified
bedrest until the spotting stopped, and had no problems at all.

Old April 23rd 04, 04:45 PM
Clisby

Donna Metler wrote:
[...]

I don't know a thing about your bedrest question, but congratulations!
Fingers crossed, and all that.

Clisby

Old April 23rd 04, 04:53 PM
Nikki

Donna Metler wrote:
I just had a home pregnancy test turn up positive on Tuesday,

Congrats :-) Positive vibes your way.

My question is-does this mean I'm going to be stuck on bedrest
through the entire pregnancy?

My friend just had a full term healthy baby. She was on bedrest for 3-4 wks
in the first trimester (don't know why though) and then went back to work.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (3)

Old April 23rd 04, 05:00 PM
Dagny

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
[...]

One doctor told me bedrest does nothing for an early miscarriage but makes
the mom feel like she did the best she could. Also it creates the
environment of the woman needing some care, which is important as early
miscarriages can be very emotionally difficult, even if they are practically
medical non-events.

Don't know if this would be encouraging, or discouraging news to you.

The consecutive hormone levels will tell you a lot.

-- Dagny

Old April 23rd 04, 11:15 PM
Cheryl S.

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
I just had a home pregnancy test turn up positive on
Tuesday, and started spotting Wednesday night.

I don't have any advice but wanted to say congratulations and I'm hoping
for a healthy pregnancy for you!
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 7 months

Old April 24th 04, 01:32 AM
Dix Nix

[...]

There is lots of things to do whilst on bedrest... Watch TV, Read a good
book, sip hot chocolates whilst doing some crafts, Or sit online and browse
your newsgroups and emails. (or sleep daytime and watch all those weird
night time shows)

Bedrest does suck, but In the long run if it works its good. I was on
bedrest with 2 of my pregnancy's. It sucked big time but I figured 7 months
or so of doing nothing was worth it knowing that my children would be alive
and survive. 7 months is little time (or 15 months for both not including
other pregnancies ) considering most children live at home until they are 18
or 19 or even longer.

You could be stuck on bedrest for the whole pregnancy, Or then again only
until your 12 weeks pregnant or even 8 weeks pregnant. It is something you
should ask your doctor. Its hard to tell. I had problems with 2 of mine
which then meant I was induced with one at 34 weeks and another one at 37
weeks.

I wish you a healthy and happy pregnancy. Some people just don't get much
good luck and have lots of problems with there pregnancies. (and I'm one of
those)

Dixy Nixy

Old April 24th 04, 01:35 AM
Chotii

"Kim E." wrote in message
a.net...
In article ,
says...
[...]

I had implantation spotting (which at the time I thought was a short
period!) and then some weird spotting at 8 wks when I finally went to
the OB and found out I was pregnant. I also had to get hormone level
tests, but my OB just told me to take it easy and not to have sex until
they figured out what was going on. The bleeding stopped a few days
later and I am 23 wks now and have been on no bedrest.

I had heavy bleeding at 10 weeks in my first pregnancy (I mean, soaking pads
kind of bleeding) due to a partial placental abruption, but was on bedrest
for a week if I remember, and on full pelvic rest until the end of my first
trimester (which was only a couple more weeks). This meant no sex, no
self...ah, inflicted orgasms, etc. Things proceeded normally, I had a
normal pregnancy with no further bedrest, and had a healthy baby.

The thing is, this early, if the pregnancy is meant to continue, nothing you
can do short of surgical or chemical abortion will end it....and if things
aren't working right, nothing you can do will make it continue. Bedrest
won't *hurt*. I doubt it will *help*. Full pelvic rest for a couple of weeks
might help, and it wouldn't hurt (but I bet your DH won't be happy about
it). Now, I'm talking about situations where there isn't a known
progesterone deficiency (which can be treated) or other known medical
problem (of the kind that can be addressed).

I do not see how this early spotting can have any bearing whatsoever on
whether you may have HELLP syndrome later on, nor does this early spotting
mean you'll be stuck on bedrest later. Heck, I spent 2 1/2 and 3 months on
bedrest during each of my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies respectively, and had no
spotting in either of them at all.

--angela

Old April 24th 04, 01:35 AM
Donna Metler

"Dix Nix" wrote in message
u...

[...]

Thanks! My biggest fear is losing another baby, so being put on bedrest so
soon really scared me. It's good to hear that other people made it through
OK.