Losing weight during first trimester....

Old November 17th 03, 06:02 PM
Jill

Default Losing weight during first trimester....

I have read that depending on your weight before pregnancy, you should
expect to gain between 15 and 25 pounds during a normal pregnancy. The more
overweight to start would be the ones who gain less weight, i.e. 15 pounds,
and someone who starts out underweight would gain 25-30lbs...

I know I can't guess how much weight I will actually gain, but I am trying
to figure out what I may be able to expect...I started out a few pounds
overweight- well ok, I admit, to be thin like I was once, I'd need to lose
30-40 pounds as it is ("thin" for me is 110, I am only 5'2). I lost over 10
lbs in the first trimester.....should I expect to gain all that back and
THEN the baby weight, or will I possibly only gain 15-25 lbs from the 2nd
trimester weight which is 10 pounds down for me?

I have a friend who's doctor advised her to not do any extreme measures but
to try to eat reasonably and try to not gain any more than 20 pounds with
her first. I also know a lot of people, thin and average to slightly
overweight, who gained what I consider enormous amounts of weight (to me),
like 50-65 pounds. The only reason I worry about this is if I gain that much
weight I will feel HORRIBLE- I can already tell I felt so much worse after
gaining 30-40 pounds anyway. So I do sort of worry about what I will weigh,
I am sure I can lose after the baby, it's just during my pregnancy I have a
fear of weighing more than I am comfortable physically weighing.

I figure I have no control over pregnancy weight gain as long as I eat
reasonably and don't go overboard (so far, I can barely eat so still not a
problem! But if I get to where I am hungry all the time and can eat
anything, I will not just pig out.)

Anyway does anyone know if you're already a bit overweight if it IS a safe
goal to try to keep it at about 15 pounds? I really do not want to gain more
than 20 if I can healthfully for me and the baby, manage so...

I was just thinking that if *I* gained 30 pounds from my actual starting
weight before the 1st trimester weight loss, that is a big deal and will
feel awful, it's too much of a weight for me, at 5'3. If I gained 30 pounds
from my weight after losing in the 1st trimester, that wouldn't be so bad.

Any comments? BTW, I am not worried anough about it to diet or anything, but
I have been worrying about it and hoping I wont gain too much weight. A 120
pound pre-pregnancy lady could weight my current weight at 9 months
pregnant- that's a sad feeling! I have also been told that it's pretty easy
for a lot of women to quickly lose the pregnancy weight afterwards
especially while breast feeding, and a lot of it is water weight...

Old November 17th 03, 06:41 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

In article ,
Jill wrote:
I have read that depending on your weight before pregnancy, you should
expect to gain between 15 and 25 pounds during a normal pregnancy. The more
overweight to start would be the ones who gain less weight, i.e. 15 pounds,
and someone who starts out underweight would gain 25-30lbs...

That sounds on the low side to me, from what I've read, and what my dr
said, 25-35 is recommended for a normal weight woman, and only someone very
heavy at the outset should aim for 20.

I gained 35 with my first, and lost 20 in the first few weeks post-partum,
suggesting baby plus support system accounted for that much.

This time I'm on track for only a 25 pounds gain, but I'm still wearing that
leftover 15 from the first so adding more was unecessary :^)

-Liz

Old November 17th 03, 06:49 PM
Sophie

15-25 lbs is really low IMO. I personally don't think you should limit what
you gain but just try to eat good stuff.

To an extent I think you'll gain whatever you need to gain.

I started my 1st 3 pregnancies at 130 lbs (I'm 5 feet 7) and I gained 40
lbs, 26 lbs, and 45 lbs. I gained so much with the first cos I was walking
an hour everyday - it was muscle. With #2 that was apparently all I needed
to gain that time, and I lost 8 lbs from morning sickness. #3 was grown on
Skittles. That was all fat and well, I still have 10 lbs on me from him and
he'll be 2 next month.

I'm trying really hard to eat well now. I'm starving 24/7. I know morning
sickness will hit soon for me and honestly I see it as a good thing -
hopefully I'll stop being so hungry. I'm not happy to have the extra 10 lbs
already.

Sophie
#4 due July 2004

Old November 17th 03, 07:10 PM
T Flynn

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Jill wrote:

I have a friend who's doctor advised her to not do any extreme measures but
to try to eat reasonably and try to not gain any more than 20 pounds with
her first.

I think this is rather sensible, maybe expanding it to 20-25 lbs, but not
trying to go overboard. As long as you're getting regular medical care
and your doctor isn't concerned and you don't suddenly *lose* weight in
the middle of your pregnancy, there really shouldn't be problems.

One thing to also remember: Get some relaxing, low-impact exercise like
walking or swimming in at least a few times a week. It'll really help keep
your metabolism on an even keel and keep your body functioning its best
for the marathon we're all facing.

My own stats, just for an additional data point: I conceived at 168 lbs
where my most reasonable ideal was probably 125-130. I'm 5'5", and I had
just started doing extra workouts at the gym -- going in about four times
a week (compared to twice a week for a couple years) for some aerobic and
some weights classes, and although I didn't lose weight before conception,
I could feel a slight shift toward more lean body mass. I think I
maintained the workout schedule for about two or three weeks after
conception before the hormones knocked me on my butt and made me sleep
like 18 hours a day, at which time my appetite plummetted. I continued to
regularly walk about two miles about three times a week. During my first
trimester, I lost about 8 lbs. My doctor was not concerned. It took me
until about month five before I returned to pre-conception weight (+3
lbs), but then I lost a lb or two in month six. [My doctor did indicate
that as long as I don't *continue* to lose weight, and as long as I'm
"trending" a gain, there shouldn't be a concern.] My appetite has improved
over the past couple weeks, and I continue eating much of the same only in
slightly larger volume: yogurt, fruit, pb&j sandwiches, oatmeal,
low-sodium soups, milk, cheese, homemade traditional dinners). My next
check up is tomorrow, and while I'm pretty sure I've gained weight, I'm
not sure how much, but there's a real probability I won't gain more than
15 lbs during the whole pregnancy just because the kid has decided to
leach stuff out of my system rather than giving me ravenous cravings --
I've had dental cavities from her calcium needs, I've lost facial fat for
her energy needs and I'm sure some of those lean body gains have gone for
her amino needs. The munchkin gets first dibs.

Old November 17th 03, 07:15 PM
Sandy R

I started out my pregnancy a bit overweight, and am in my third trimest
and have only gained 5 pounds total they (doctors) have said it is ok
for me to gain up to ten more pounds, The baby is healthy and I feel
fine, I have a good diet had a good diet before getting pg as well. I
gained weight while on the birth control pill. So I wouldn't be terribly
worried if I were you I lost some weight in my first trimester while
sick so I should actually weigh less after the baby is born than before
I started....Watch our for sudden weight gains (i.e. 3-5 pounds in a
week or two) that could be a sign of something wrong...Good Luck!

~Have a Great Day!~

http://community.webtv.net/Dra223/OURHOUSEWIVES

http://community.webtv.net/Dra223/FAMILY

Old November 17th 03, 07:35 PM
SuperEeyore

"Jill" wrote in message
om...
I know I can't guess how much weight I will actually gain, but I am trying
to figure out what I may be able to expect...I started out a few pounds
overweight- well ok, I admit, to be thin like I was once, I'd need to lose
30-40 pounds as it is ("thin" for me is 110, I am only 5'2). I lost over

10
lbs in the first trimester.....should I expect to gain all that back and
THEN the baby weight, or will I possibly only gain 15-25 lbs from the 2nd
trimester weight which is 10 pounds down for me?

I really read up on this when I was pregnant with Juliet because I didn't
want put myself in a bad food/eating/stressed about weight gain attitude.

The main part of the weight gain is once those weeks pass, it no longer has
an effect on where you should be on the rest of pregnancy. If you lose one
week it doesn't mean gain extra the next. If you gain extra one week the
next you still gain according to the curve line.

The curve line for weight gain was in What to eat when you are expecting and
was at one of the formula company's website... I'll look for it if you want.

Laurel

Old November 17th 03, 08:46 PM
Jill

"Liz S. Reynolds" wrote

That sounds on the low side to me, from what I've read, and what my dr
said, 25-35 is recommended for a normal weight woman, and only someone

very
heavy at the outset should aim for 20.

I definitely don't qualify as "very heavy", I guess I am just worried about
gaining too much, though. Truthfully, it's not "a friend" who told me her
doctor said not to gain more than 20--- it's my mom! She is making me feel
very very self conscious....normally I feel ok about myself, but pregnancy
has made me touchier for sure, and people are getting to me. Some of My
cousins are in 30's-40's and have never even had babies- one was pretty
overweight for most of her life but recently went to a clinic where they
measure your food by the ounce, and lost a lot of weight....all of my family
is so caught up over weight (I have an average family, a lot of thin and
avergae and some overweight...just average)... I find myself avoiding family
functions and being around people because of the way they do over weight..I
was always very thin and still self conscious over my weight because I grew
up in a household where you were scrutinized for your weight....I thought I
was over that, but being pregnant has made me start worrying about weight
again. But, people have said things--- the perfect example, my mom telling
me not to gain more than 20 pounds. (My mom has always been overweight, and
weighed a good bit more than me)....people are really making me feel
uncomfortable. This is one thing that my husband, for all of our problems
and arguments, NEVER ever does....that is the one thing about my husband. He
does not EVER make bad comments about my appearance or weight, he is very
encouraging in that way. Even in our worst disagreements and arguments where
I have even felt like leaving, he never ever ever says anything other than
that I look good. He's honest, he will tell me that I am starting to show
but if I mention being worried about weight he wil scold me "YOu are
Supposed to gain! Don't worry about it. You will lose it and if not I love
you anyway".

That's why I get so mad at the way my family is being over my pregnancy...I
heard someone making snarky remarks like "Oooh, she is going to gai so much
weight!" How do they know, its like they want me to! But the most affecting
is my mother......she talks about how big my boobs are, and gives me diet
tips and tells me to exercise so I won't gain as much and tells me her
doctor says not to gain more than 20, etc. She tells me she gained 30 with
me because she let herself go, but gained less than 20 with my brother and
that was good. Every time I talk to her she ask me what I weigh and I refuse
to tell her, and she tells me I need to start watching it!

Old November 17th 03, 08:49 PM
Jill

"Sophie" wrote
I'm not happy to have the extra 10 lbs
already.

I am only worried about gaining too much, and I don't even have a clear idea
of what too much is, because 30-40 pounds everyone keeps telling me is a
perfectly ok number. Since I was 100 and then gained about 40 lbs after
starting an office job, I am afraid of gaining another 40!

Old November 17th 03, 08:55 PM
Jill

"T Flynn" wrote
My own stats, just for an additional data point: I conceived at 168 lbs
where my most reasonable ideal was probably 125-130. I'm 5'5"

I am similar to these stats, except I am 5'2 and my reasonable ideal is
115-120. That's when I feel great. 110 is an absolute low, any lower and I
feel bad. But I am close to your preconception weight and it's something
where I noticed I felt bad at that weight but didn't lose it before I
conceived. I actually don't look like I weigh anything near that and I do
have a fair amount of muscle. I look like I weigh about 140. I had never
gained weight before until recently and admit to feeling very self conscious
about it. My husband makes me feel good about myself in that respect no
matter what, it's my own blood relatives that are rotten about it. I heard
my mom tell someone gleefully that she will soon be smaller than me ....why
do people CARE about petty things like that?? But it still makes me feel
self conscious. I am determined though, to make sure my baby is getting the
best prenatal care, and also, will NEVER feel self conscious or put up with
the petty comments I have from my own mother.

Old November 17th 03, 09:13 PM
Fer

Ugh! Jill just explain to your mom that things have changed since you were
born. My mom was also told to only gain 20 MAX when she had us kids and her
doc told the overweight moms to not gain an OUNCE! A lot of views in the
medical field have changed in the past 30+ years, she should get over it!
And for dieting while pregnant, a big no no, you don't want those ketones
released while preg.

As for gaining weight normally, I gained a TON with #1 but lost 30lbs by two
days postpartum. I don't seem to lose weight while BF but as soon as I stop
the rest comes off. With #2 I gained 32 lbs and felt much better. The
difference between the two was water retention and gaining FAT in the
begining due to stress (ya know 17, not married, didn't tell mom and dad
till I was 4-5 months etc)

Like the others have said just try to stick to healthier foods and don't
stress, it's the one time we can gain weight (fat or babe) and shouldn't
feel guilty about it!

--

Jenn
-WAHM
"Jill" wrote in message
om...

"Liz S. Reynolds" wrote

Weight Gain Question Mickee General 4 May 6th 04 10:02 PM
My Weight loss Story Jenny General 39 April 30th 04 05:04 PM
Question about weight gain kylee General 10 December 23rd 03 08:21 PM
How much weight will fetus gain in last 7 weeks? jennifer woollett Pregnancy 7 October 6th 03 06:38 PM
Weight gain Kereru Pregnancy 8 July 29th 03 06:51 AM