Neighbor Hitting Hard Baseball in my Yard w/ Kids

Old January 6th 06, 07:55 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Neighbor Hitting Hard Baseball in my Yard w/ Kids

I think that a few glass birdhouses is a cheaper and easier solution. I
found these at http://www.blackhillsglassworks.com/ and will set them
on tall posts next to fence where the balls are flying. This fits right
in, because we have wood birdhouses all over the place in the yard. I
can even set one next to the house where the snow is being shot. I will
also install a bird webcam out there in easy view for looking at the
birds and get evidence that they are eating (hehe).

Old January 9th 06, 01:11 PM posted to misc.kids

On 6 Jan 2006 11:55:13 -0800, "Billy" wrote:

I think that a few glass birdhouses is a cheaper and easier solution. I
found these at http://www.blackhillsglassworks.com/ and will set them
on tall posts next to fence where the balls are flying. This fits right
in, because we have wood birdhouses all over the place in the yard. I
can even set one next to the house where the snow is being shot. I will
also install a bird webcam out there in easy view for looking at the
birds and get evidence that they are eating (hehe).

I understand the compulsion to outsmart someone who is annoying you,
but I think when you have a problem that can be as serious as the
death of a small child from a baseball hit by an adult male, you need
to take the mature legal route.

Ask the neighbor to stop hitting the balls into your yard and explain
that your children might get hurt. Even if a child isn't killed, such
a blow to the head can cause permanent brain damage and that just
isn't fair to the child. Mark the day you spoke with him on your
calendar because it can become legal evidence.

If he doesn't comply, put it in writing and send it with a return
receipt or whatever so you can prove it was delivered to his home.

If that doesn't work, call the police and report him for endangering
your children and causing a public nuisance. Do this three or four
times until you have a history built up and make sure you get copies
of the police reports.

Take him to court and attempt to sue the pants off him. If it costs
him $5000 in small claims or civil court, he might decide it's too
expensive and he'll quit that particular nuisance.

Count on him looking for every other way he can think of to annoy you
in the future. He's bad news no matter what neighborhood he lives in.
But your children are worth the battle.

Old January 9th 06, 03:40 PM posted to misc.kids

In article , Merle Finch says...

[...]

Yep.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is NOT to get into tit-for-tat or
gotcha games with this guy. Forget tossing things into his yard; forget all
this cute and clever stuff about building glass stuff for him to break. Forget
suing over that - learn this legal word and bring it up to the lawyer you'll
consult (you WILL consult one, right?) - "contributory". The system isn't
*that* dumb to say "oh poor guy his neighbor broke his widdle
greenhouse/birdhouse/whatever..." and give you mega bucks - nah-UH. Don't be
stupid.

One thing about jerks - they have a LOT more time, energy, and obsession about
get-backs and silly battles than most normal folks. You'll LOSE unless you're a
bigger jerk.

Let the legal and zoning system work for you if you need it. If you DO start
tossing stuff into his yard and playing games, you'll be in a much weaker
position if you DO get to court - you'll have shown yourself to be a jerk, too,
and your credibility will be damaged.

Banty

Old January 9th 06, 04:14 PM posted to misc.kids

On 9 Jan 2006 07:40:14 -0800, Banty wrote:

[...]

However, the OP does need to obtain advice from the Police dept
regarding any 'laws' there may be.
The Police may not be able to do anything until something *does*
happen. Sad, but true.

When my ds was little, the next door idiots gave their kid a BB gun.
Not that that in itself is a Bad Thing, but with this particular kid,
it was going to invite Trouble.
There was no city ordinance against discharging a BB gun within the
city limits, so my call to the Police to complain that the kid was
shooting at any and everything, and my concern that my son would get
injured while he was playing in my yard, went without any action.
The exact words I was told... "Now, if he aims at your son and injures
him, then we can act, but we can't act on the idea that something
MIGHT happen". Feh.

As it turned out, my car window and kitchen window both suffered
damage from this kid.

Nan

Old January 9th 06, 05:19 PM posted to misc.kids

In article , Nan says...

[...]

But setting up something obviously meant to be in the way, and to break, ain't
it.

When my ds was little, the next door idiots gave their kid a BB gun.
Not that that in itself is a Bad Thing, but with this particular kid,
it was going to invite Trouble.
There was no city ordinance against discharging a BB gun within the
city limits, so my call to the Police to complain that the kid was
shooting at any and everything, and my concern that my son would get
injured while he was playing in my yard, went without any action.
The exact words I was told... "Now, if he aims at your son and injures
him, then we can act, but we can't act on the idea that something
MIGHT happen". Feh.

As it turned out, my car window and kitchen window both suffered
damage from this kid.

Did you go the route of discussing this with your neighbor?

Banty

Old January 9th 06, 05:46 PM posted to misc.kids

On 9 Jan 2006 09:19:48 -0800, Banty wrote:

In article , Nan says...

[...]

Exactly. That's just likely to cause the police to chastise the OP
instead of assist him.

When my ds was little, the next door idiots gave their kid a BB gun.
Not that that in itself is a Bad Thing, but with this particular kid,
it was going to invite Trouble.
There was no city ordinance against discharging a BB gun within the
city limits, so my call to the Police to complain that the kid was
shooting at any and everything, and my concern that my son would get
injured while he was playing in my yard, went without any action.
The exact words I was told... "Now, if he aims at your son and injures
him, then we can act, but we can't act on the idea that something
MIGHT happen". Feh.

As it turned out, my car window and kitchen window both suffered
damage from this kid.

Did you go the route of discussing this with your neighbor?

These were the type of parents that didn't believe their kids could do
anything wrong. At least the mom was that way even though the kid in
question had been in trouble with the courts several times already.
The step-dad was more reasonable and I did discuss it with him, but
the kid would sneak out when they weren't home and use it.
I did have to insist they pay for the damage he caused, though.

Nan