Update: Dinosaurs *rant only*

Old July 25th 05, 04:00 AM
bizby40

Default Update: Dinosaurs *rant only*

Remember when I got into it a little with a woman who
was feeding her baby cereal at 1 month? Well, check
out the post she sent to someone else with a *newborn.*

"WOOOHOOOO!!! Glad to hear at least SOMEONE got a happy baby lol. Here are a
few tips I've picked up so far....

1. ALWAYS get the next diaper ready befpre taking off the old one, boys pee
on you A LOT!!

2. It's WAY easier to buy distilled water than to boil water for formula
everyday, and you can make as small or as little as you want that way.

I am sad I can't breastfeed...it's SOOOOO much better for baby, keep it up
:/

3. A spoonful of rice cereal in his bottle before bed will make him sleep
alllll night...though a lot of people will tell you not to, it DOES work.

......"

So, now what? She put her advice in a congratulatory
thread -- it's not really the appropriate place for a debate
on what to feed your baby. The group is not a discussion
group about kids so it isn't really appropriate to start a
new thread about it. The woman with the newborn may
well just blow her off, so perhaps I should just keep my
mouth shut in the name of harmony? On the other hand,
I have a very hard time just letting that advice stand
without saying something about it.....

Bizby

Old July 25th 05, 04:05 AM
Kim E

"bizby40" wrote in message
[...]

Can you just email the woman privately and let her know that the
advice is nutty at best, dangerous at worse (choking from the rice
cereal in bottle), in case she was wondering.

-kim

Old July 25th 05, 04:10 AM
Me Myself and I

ITA with Kim. Plus rice cereal is also just empty calories. Anyone that
fills their baby up with cereal rather than the milk they need is just plain
crackers.

--
Pip

Abby - 3rd Feb 2005 at 32 weeks 3lb 14oz
Jasmine - 21st Mar 2002 at 35 weeks 4lb 12oz

Old July 25th 05, 04:34 AM
dejablues

"bizby40" wrote in message
Remember when I got into it a little with a woman who
was feeding her baby cereal at 1 month? Well, check
out the post she sent to someone else with a *newborn.*

"WOOOHOOOO!!! Glad to hear at least SOMEONE got a happy baby lol. Here are

few tips I've picked up so far....

1. ALWAYS get the next diaper ready befpre taking off the old one, boys

pee
on you A LOT!!

2. It's WAY easier to buy distilled water than to boil water for formula
everyday, and you can make as small or as little as you want that way.

Distilled water? blargh.

I am sad I can't breastfeed...it's SOOOOO much better for baby, keep it up
:/

3. A spoonful of rice cereal in his bottle before bed will make him sleep
alllll night...though a lot of people will tell you not to, it DOES work.

....."

So, now what? She put her advice in a congratulatory
thread -- it's not really the appropriate place for a debate
on what to feed your baby. The group is not a discussion
group about kids so it isn't really appropriate to start a
new thread about it. The woman with the newborn may
well just blow her off, so perhaps I should just keep my
mouth shut in the name of harmony? On the other hand,
I have a very hard time just letting that advice stand
without saying something about it.....

Bizby

Email the advisee privately, and tell her that this person might mean well,
but has advice that is misinformed at best, and downright dangerous at
worst.

Old July 25th 05, 05:10 AM
Ericka Kammerer

dejablues wrote:

Email the advisee privately, and tell her that this person might mean well,
but has advice that is misinformed at best, and downright dangerous at
worst.

Yep. You can add the following cites if you think that
will be helpful:

http://tinyurl.com/b7ews
(Basically says that babies younger than 4 months can't digest
cereal.)

http://tinyurl.com/8q72h
(This one says that giving cereal to 1 month olds increased
the amount of energy going *in*, but *reduced* the amount of
energy absorbed--and dramatically increased the amount of
bacteria!)

http://tinyurl.com/7pfol
(This one shows that adding cereal didn't increase the
likelihood that the baby will sleep through the night.)

http://tinyurl.com/86k4m
(This study found that solids introduced before 5-6 months
of age tended to *replace*, rather than supplement, formula
or breastmilk, meaning that an infant given solids is
replacing a nutritionally superior food with a nutritionally
inferior food.)

Best wishese,
Ericka

Old July 25th 05, 05:28 AM
bizby40

"Kim E" wrote in message

"bizby40" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think so. This is all happening in a Yahoo gaming
site. Or more accurately, a third party tournament site
for tournaments run on a Yahoo gaming site. I suppose
I can *try* sending something to her yahoo mail account
-- I think you get one automatically when you register
for the games. But if she's anything like me, she has a
"real" mail account elsewhere that she uses instead. So
it's unlikely to get to anywhere she can read it.

If I happened to see her on-line I could IM her, but with
a new baby, she isn't likely to do much gaming for a
while.

What makes it worse, for me anyway, is that the ill-
informed advice giver has way more "standing" in
the group than I do. If there ends up being words
over this, I'll end up the loser.

I think I might just have to keep my mouth shut. :-(

Bizby

Old July 25th 05, 07:09 AM
P. Tierney

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
dejablues wrote:

[...]

And in addition to a private email, post them to whatever
group this was as well. Hopefully yours will not be the first
in setting the record straight.

P. Tierney

Old July 25th 05, 12:51 PM
Kim E

"bizby40" wrote

"Kim E" wrote

"bizby40" wrote in message

[...]

That lady wrote that whole idiotic thing on the IM of a gaming
site??? What a nutjob. I would try sending the lady with the
newborn an email to her gaming address, she might read it. From
my not so grand experience with gaming sites, if you try to post
something to correct the nutjob's advice, you will probably just
get mocked. I actually stopped playing certain card games on yahoo
because there were so many rude people that it wasn't fun to play
anymore. The unfortunate case is that there are a lot of people
in this world doing idiotic things and promoting idiotic things and
they can't all be set straight. I thought it was rude for her to
assume the woman was formula feeding. Even though it is probably
futile, I would email that woman with those links about feeding
cereal to newborns and ask her how she would feel if a baby was
harmed because someone actually followed her misinformed advice.

If I happened to see her on-line I could IM her, but with
a new baby, she isn't likely to do much gaming for a
while.

What makes it worse, for me anyway, is that the ill-
informed advice giver has way more "standing" in
the group than I do. If there ends up being words
over this, I'll end up the loser.

I think I might just have to keep my mouth shut. :-(

On the gaming group, I think that is probably best. How
frustrating.

-kim

Old July 25th 05, 01:01 PM

bizby40 wrote:
"Kim E" wrote in message

"bizby40" wrote in message
[...]

I have to say, although I would probably be equally torn about how to
react to this terrible advice, if the new mom *takes* the tossed-off
advice of someone on a Yahoo! gaming site over that of her doctor and
every currently printed baby advice book... then there probably was no
point to worrying about it anyway, because she probably has an aunt or
a mother who's giving her equally wrong and out of date advice. I hate
hate hate to see wrong info propogated, but I'd be much more worried
about this advice if it were on a semi-official site of some sort
regarding baby care. If it's one person to another on a gaming site,
with luck the new mom has a better filter than that.

Beth

Old July 25th 05, 01:03 PM
enigma

"bizby40" wrote in
:

If I happened to see her on-line I could IM her, but with
a new baby, she isn't likely to do much gaming for a
while.

you might be surprised. since i had one of those "don't-put-
me-down" babies, i spent the first 3 months mostly online

What makes it worse, for me anyway, is that the ill-
informed advice giver has way more "standing" in
the group than I do. If there ends up being words
over this, I'll end up the loser.

well, if you talk to her privately, there wouldn't likely be
'words'. hopefully, the new mom will go with her
pediatrician's recommendations rather than those of a stranger
on a gaming site.
also, if she's breastfeeding, it's much harder to get cereal
in the 'bottle'

I think I might just have to keep my mouth shut. :-(

maybe. it *is* kind of maddening though, when bad advice is
being handed out. of course, new moms are always inundated
with "helpful" advice from complete strangers. one can only
hope she knows enough to ignore 99% of it
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Another UPDATE: UPDATE passive-aggressive people at work (long) toypup General 5 July 23rd 05 11:06 PM
32 week update and fluid issues update Jennifer Howe Pregnancy 1 April 29th 05 06:55 AM
Update Jamie Clark Pregnancy 4 October 1st 04 06:37 AM
Update: Problems with 14yr old sister... Daniel Single Parents 13 March 28th 04 02:18 AM
Use critical update Alex Nemeth Single Parents 0 October 2nd 03 03:42 AM