dairy in baby food?

Old July 25th 05, 02:43 AM
emilymr

Default dairy in baby food?

Micah's been on solids for 2 1/2 months now (he's 8 1/12 mos), and I'm
wondering about yoghurt and butter. I know he's not supposed to have milk
until a year, and I assumed that included all dairy, but our neighbor's
pediatrician told her to give her daughter yoghurt when she was Micah's
age. And I fed him a jar of summer veggies before reading the label and
finding butter as one of the ingredients -- no wonder that jar tasted
better than all the other ones have!! Sooo, is there any difference
between milk and other more processed dairy? Or should we still be
avoiding it all?

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old July 26th 05, 04:08 AM
JennP.

Micah's been on solids for 2 1/2 months now (he's 8 1/12 mos), and I'm
wondering about yoghurt and butter. I know he's not supposed to have
milk
until a year, and I assumed that included all dairy, but our neighbor's

pediatrician told her to give her daughter yoghurt when she was Micah's

age. And I fed him a jar of summer veggies before reading the label
and
finding butter as one of the ingredients -- no wonder that jar tasted
better than all the other ones have!!

Yep, and Gerber Creamed Spinach has nonfat milk in it.

Sooo, is there any difference
between milk and other more processed dairy? Or should we still be
avoiding it all?

Unless you have a reason to be avoiding it, I wouldn't worry about it.
Jessica (almost 9 months) has been eating whole milk yogurt for about a
week now. I actually started it because she was on antibiotics for an
ear infection and wanted to try to avoid thrush. Last night I gave her
tiny pieces of cubed cheese. My freind has a baby the same age and she
just introduced the same foods, fwiw. HTH

JennP.

Old July 26th 05, 06:01 AM
emilymr

Thanks! I think I'm not going to go out of my way to *give* him dairy, but
I won't freak out if he gets some once in awhile. Although I *will* read
those labels more carefully!

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old July 26th 05, 02:20 PM
enigma

"emilymr" emily@xxxxxx wrote in
lkaboutparen
ting.com:

Thanks! I think I'm not going to go out of my way to
*give* him dairy, but I won't freak out if he gets some
once in awhile. Although I *will* read those labels more
carefully!

if you breastfed & used dairy yourself, he's already been
exposed. if you bottlefed & didn't specificly use a soy
formula, he's been exposed.
i was giving my son Stonyfield Farms YoBaby! or plain full
fat yogurt from 6 months. if you feed yogurt only give whole
milk yogurt like Stonyfield or Brown Cow. the more common low
fat/ no fat yogurts have a ton of fillers, artificial
colorings & flavorings. the active bacteria in real yogurt (as
opposed to Dannon or Yoplait) break down the lactose so it's
less likely to be an issue. of course, if there are food
allergies or lactose intolerance in the family, then
continuing to avoid exposure is wise.

of course, my kid never ate baby food either... he got what we
were eating only mashed. ymmv.
lee
--
war is peace