craving for pickled herring

Old November 17th 04, 06:53 AM
Irrational Number

Default craving for pickled herring

I guess since pickled herring isn't cooked,
it's off limits during pregnancy...?

-- Anita --
(who really, really wants some right now!)

Old November 17th 04, 09:13 AM
Anne Rogers

I guess since pickled herring isn't cooked,
it's off limits during pregnancy...?

but the pickling preserves it and it's done straight after the fish is
caught, personally I've been taking raw to mean just that raw, as in not
preserved by any method, I've eated smoked salmon anyway!

Old November 17th 04, 04:31 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 06:53:45 +0000, Irrational Number wrote:

I guess since pickled herring isn't cooked,
it's off limits during pregnancy...?

Not in the Netherlands. I had plenty of it. My midwife told me it's
actually good, because of the fatty acids it contains.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old November 17th 04, 09:13 PM
Child

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
hlink.net...
| I guess since pickled herring isn't cooked,
| it's off limits during pregnancy...?
|
| -- Anita --
| (who really, really wants some right now!)

You know what Anita, my ob told me sushi is fine, even, as long as its from
a reputable restaurant. Pickled herring is probably fine as well - its
pickled and canned, which is a sterile procedure, or else every can would be
swimming in bacteria.

Old November 17th 04, 10:15 PM
Jo

Irrational Number wrote:
I guess since pickled herring isn't cooked,
it's off limits during pregnancy...?

-- Anita --
(who really, really wants some right now!)

I just found a really good site on foods to avoid and foods that are
safe - pickled food and canned food is safe! Go for it!!

Jo (RM)

http://www.birth.com.au/class.asp?class=6617&page=3
Old November 17th 04, 10:58 PM
Irrational Number

Ilse Witch wrote:

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 06:53:45 +0000, Irrational Number wrote:

I guess since pickled herring isn't cooked,
it's off limits during pregnancy...?

Not in the Netherlands. I had plenty of it. My midwife told me it's
actually good, because of the fatty acids it contains.

In the Netherlands is where I first had it
and it was SO GOOD... covered in onions...

Mmmmm... I've been fantasizing about it
since last night...

-- Anita --

Old November 17th 04, 10:58 PM
Irrational Number

Child wrote:

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
hlink.net...
| I guess since pickled herring isn't cooked,
| it's off limits during pregnancy...?
|
| -- Anita --
| (who really, really wants some right now!)

You know what Anita, my ob told me sushi is fine, even, as long as its from
a reputable restaurant. Pickled herring is probably fine as well - its
pickled and canned, which is a sterile procedure, or else every can would be
swimming in bacteria.

Good to know. I tried to look up last night how it's made
and couldn't tell if it was sterile, but it seemed like it,
what with the boiled water and spices and stuff before
you put the fish in...

-- Anita --

Old November 18th 04, 07:36 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:58:09 -0800, Irrational Number wrote:

In the Netherlands is where I first had it
and it was SO GOOD... covered in onions...

Aw shoot, go ahead and make me crave it too! I'm 6000 miles from there and
now desperately need pickled herring with onions.... Anyone? ;-)