Breakthrough Chickenpox infection... what to expect?

Old June 14th 04, 08:03 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default Breakthrough Chickenpox infection... what to expect?

Sigh... Kivi has chickenpox. She was vaccinated around her first
birthday for varicella, but she, and at least one other child (also
vaccinated) at her daycare have chickenpox.

It *does* appear to be a light case of it. Both the doctor, and the
nurse at the daycare said that since it's a breakthrough case, that
she might not even get the crusts. She hasn't had a fever at all,
though she was VERY cranky and unhappy the week prior to getting
spots. (She had been crying "I want my mommy" on and off all day
while at daycare, and was cranky in the evenings, and this is the
child who the weekend previously had gotten angry because she didn't
*get* to go to daycare because it was the weekend - and everyone, from
the janitor to the center's nurse had said "what's up with Kivi, she's
usually so happy!"). She *had* told us a couple of times that she was
sick, but when we asked what was wrong, she told us her leg was sick.
At 2.5, she is pretty verbal, but not verbal enough to tell us what
was wrong. We're getting ready to move, and we are are packing things
away as well as remodeling to get the house ready to sell, so we
thought that was upsetting her. In the end, I suspect it's a
combination of both.

We noticed spots on Saturday evening, and by Sunday, it was starting
to look like chicken pox (blisters), with more and more developing.
She has them primarily on her chest and belly, a few on her back and
shoulder blades, and some on the backs of her thighs. The sores are
smaller than my stepsons or brothers, and I'm not sure they'll crust
over. They don't look like it, anyway, not yet. But it's still early
in the illness. Chris took her to daycare this morning (Monday) --we
weren't sure it was chicken pox, since we thought it was unlikely to
actually be chickenpox since she had been vaccinated, and hadn't
appeared ill, and only 1-5% actually do get it after vaccination--but
at my suggestion stopped in the nurses office first, and had the nurse
look at her, and she imediately sent Kivi home.

Either way, I was wondering what to expect with a breakthrough
infection? My stepson had chickenpox, and I was around when my little
brothers had it, so I know what it's normally like. What should I
expect for a kid who had the vaccination already, and now has the
disease? Is it true that she's not likely to get the crusts? She's
had no fever whatsoever in the last week (and had a temp of 97.1
armpit at the doctor's office). How long did it last? What are your
experiences?

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old June 14th 04, 08:39 PM
Welches

m...

#1's just had chickenpox. (age 3.5yrs). She's never been vaccinated (don't
do it here) but had it lightly. She was slightly more weepy than usual...
ate like a horse and full of beans! Not even a slight fever. Well, our dr.
gives "rhus tox"- a homeopathic stuff that stops the spots developing. She
had 130 (yes, we counted) red flat spots of which about 30 actually came to
anything. 5 days after the spots came out they were all crusted over and was
out of quarantine. Today-1 week later she's hardly even got signs of the
spots.

She did make me laugh though. One day 3 of chickenpox, I had t go to the
shops and she didn't want me to. Then she said that she wanted a present, I
asked what would help and she said "I think chocolate's good for little
girls with chickenpox" I said okay I'd get some buttons, then just before I
went she stopped me and said "I don't know whether chocolate's good for
chickenpox-I think I better have some from the cupboard before you go to
check!"

Debbie

Old June 15th 04, 01:38 PM
sue

Cathy Weeks wrote:
[...]

Consider yourself blessed! The vaccine will ensure that she gets only a
very short and mild version of the disease, and getting the wild strain
will give her life-long immunity as well.

It is not known if the vaccine provides life-long immunity or not, which
is important because it is much more serious if your child were to get
the chicken pox as a teenager or a young adult. Because she got both,
she is truly protected.

Old June 15th 04, 06:42 PM
Akuvikate

Cheryl wrote in message . ..

IIRC you're pregnant aren't you? You'd better get yourself checked
out with some kind of medical person, there is a risk to your baby if
you are exposed to chickenpox.

IF you're not already immune, of course. If you're immune (which you
almost certainly are if you had chickenpox as a kid) then there's no
risk.

If you're not immune then there's some risk to the baby during the
first trimester but the majority of the time everything's fine. The
biggest risk is right around when the baby is born.

Kate
and the Bug, 1 year old
Old June 16th 04, 04:11 PM
Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang

"Leigh Menconi" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Cheryl" wrote in message
On 14 Jun 2004 12:03:59 -0700, (Cathy Weeks)
wrote:

Sigh... Kivi has chickenpox. She was vaccinated around her first
birthday for varicella, but she, and at least one other child (also
vaccinated) at her daycare have chickenpox.

IIRC you're pregnant aren't you? You'd better get yourself checked
out with some kind of medical person, there is a risk to your baby if
you are exposed to chickenpox.

I was told when my daughter had a "breakthrough" case of chickenpox that

she
wasn't contagious and they never made her stay home from school since they
knew she'd been vaccinated (she was 4 but had been vaccinated at 1 or
whenever it's recommended.) She had very few spots, just on her trunk,

and
they didn't seem to bother her. They went away in about a week or so.

Leigh

Trust me. That is NOT true. My daughter also had a "breakthrough" case.
Same symptons as your daughter - it was so light we actually didn't know
what she had UNTIL I came down with the chickenpox. My mother was surprised
because she said I had the chicken pox when I was 4 - unfortunately she has
a poor memory (as we now know). So, it turned out that I was not immune.
Luckily, I had a mild adult case (it's like a regular kid case) but it was
still a miserable 3 weeks.

Jeanne

Old June 17th 04, 12:58 AM
Leigh Menconi

"Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

I used to work with a woman who had five kids and she said she came down
with it each time they did. I guess some people don't get an immunity. She
had other immune issues, severe allergies, etc. Not sure if it's a pattern.

Leigh

Old June 17th 04, 11:43 PM
Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang

"Leigh Menconi" wrote in message
ink.net...

I used to work with a woman who had five kids and she said she came down
with it each time they did. I guess some people don't get an immunity.

She
had other immune issues, severe allergies, etc. Not sure if it's a

pattern.

Leigh

Surely you jest ? Please?

DS just got his chickenpox vaccine at his 12 month checkup. I can only hope
that 1) he is truely immune and 2) I'm not like your former colleague. I
would not like to repeat the chicken pox.

Jeanne