comfort sucking vs. drinking

Old May 9th 06, 04:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default comfort sucking vs. drinking

My son still takes a long time to eat at my bbs. He's never really
popped off when he's done...he just continues to suck at them until I
manually pop him off. I was always told that when he's done, he'll
come off. If I don't pop him off, it seems that he could go on
forever.

How do I know when to pop him off? Mostly, these days, I just look for
a difference in his suck. Should I really wait it out to see if he
ever pops off? I think I did this once and it was around an hour!

He still eats every 2.5-3 hours and still doesn't sleep well. Perhaps
its because he's not done? He's gaining weight and all.

TIA,
maureen

Old May 9th 06, 07:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote in message

How do I know when to pop him off? Mostly, these days, I just look for
a difference in his suck.

That is what I do. I look for the flutter suck and until it slows way down
with long spells between the sucks.

He still eats every 2.5-3 hours and still doesn't sleep well.

Both mine nursed that often for a *very* long time. They did eventually get
quicker about it but didn't spaced their feeds longer until much much later
and I pushed it.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old May 9th 06, 09:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Sometimes my 4 mo old comes off on her own (that sure is nice and
always makes me feel really, really happy!), but most times, she will
spend quite a long time non-nutritively sucking. You can always tell
the difference because when they're drinking/eating, the suck pattern
includes a long suck. Like short, short, long, short, short. Does
that make sense? I read that several times, but it took me a couple of
weeks to really learn what it meant. When she's non-nutritively
sucking, there is no long sucking. If she is doing a lot of short sucks
and I'm in a major hurry, I will pop her off. But, usually, I enjoy
letting her do this for as long as she needs so as to satisfy her
sucking needs.

Old May 10th 06, 02:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

He is 4 months (as of cinco de mayo).

He does come off sometimes, but I'd say most of the time I have to end
it.

thx

Old May 10th 06, 04:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

On 2006-05-10 02:43:18 +0800, "Nikki" said:

wrote in message

How do I know when to pop him off? Mostly, these days, I just look for
a difference in his suck.

That is what I do. I look for the flutter suck and until it slows way
down with long spells between the sucks.

He still eats every 2.5-3 hours and still doesn't sleep well.

Both mine nursed that often for a *very* long time. They did
eventually get quicker about it but didn't spaced their feeds longer
until much much later and I pushed it.

Flutter sucking is when they are getting the hindmilk, mostly. If you
are let him do some more of the flutter sucking, perhaps the sleeping
will improve? I don't know - I still have a cr@p sleeper, and he's
almost 1. He's never comfort sucked

Jo
--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old May 10th 06, 05:13 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Notchalk" wrote in message

Flutter sucking is when they are getting the hindmilk, mostly.

Really!!?? I always thought flutter sucking was mostly just comfort
sucking. It doesn't seem like they get much milk at all.

If you
are let him do some more of the flutter sucking, perhaps the sleeping will
improve? I don't know - I still have a cr@p sleeper, and he's almost 1.
He's never comfort sucked

I allowed Hunter to comfort suck or flutter suck. I didn't allow Luke to do
it very much. Neither of them slept worth a darn. The twins are to small
to tell. I try to allow some flutter sucking because I just want Ben to
gain more and I hope it stimulates supply a little bit. I don't like it
though so I usually unlatch them but maybe I'll allow more of it, especially
with Ben. The flutter suck is something that has gotten more irritating to
me with each baby. I also have to grit my teeth when they tandem nurse. It
doesn't hurt it is just really unpleasant to me for some reason. Ugh. I
wish I enjoyed nursing more.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old May 10th 06, 12:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

On 2006-05-10 02:43:18 +0800, "Nikki" said:

wrote in message

How do I know when to pop him off? Mostly, these days, I just look for
a difference in his suck.

That is what I do. I look for the flutter suck and until it slows way
down with long spells between the sucks.

He still eats every 2.5-3 hours and still doesn't sleep well.

Both mine nursed that often for a *very* long time. They did eventually
get quicker about it but didn't spaced their feeds longer until much much
later and I pushed it.

Flutter sucking is when they are getting the hindmilk, mostly. If you are
let him do some more of the flutter sucking, perhaps the sleeping will
improve? I don't know - I still have a cr@p sleeper, and he's almost 1.
He's never comfort sucked

Really? The lactatation consultants I went to in the beginning said that the
flutter sucking was just for comfort. I can't hear any swallowing when he's
doing that, and he's mostly asleep when he does it. I usually pop him off at
this point. Perhaps we're talking about different things here...

KD

Old May 10th 06, 01:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article .com,
" wrote:

My son still takes a long time to eat at my bbs. He's never really
popped off when he's done...he just continues to suck at them until I
manually pop him off. I was always told that when he's done, he'll
come off. If I don't pop him off, it seems that he could go on
forever.

How do I know when to pop him off? Mostly, these days, I just look for
a difference in his suck. Should I really wait it out to see if he
ever pops off? I think I did this once and it was around an hour!

LOL -- no, I think you are right to get him off when you notice that he's just
mouthing.

He still eats every 2.5-3 hours and still doesn't sleep well. Perhaps
its because he's not done? He's gaining weight and all.

Nah -- deending on how old he is, he could just be a frequent feeder,
perfectly normal, or teething.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue