Celebrating Menarche

Old October 16th 03, 09:11 PM
Clisby

Default Celebrating Menarche

Wendy wrote:
Sophie wrote:

I'm not being sarcastic/mean/weird but what's there to celebrate about
*that*?

I recall being nearly 14 - a 9th grader - and everyone else in the world
(including my little sister) had gotten their period. I felt left behind
in childhood. I've got an 8th grade daughter in the same boat. It's
really a big deal to the kid.

Not to me. I was 15, and hugely disappointed that I wasn't one of those
oddities who didn't get a period until 16 or 17. If I had read then
about delayed menarche in girls who really train hard for athletics, I'd
have probably been out running marathons.

In fact, there aren't many life passages bigger than that one for a
child. I believe in acknowledging people's life passages. (I send
graduation cards, too.)

But graduation is something to look forward to. Menstuation is just a pain.

Clisby
(sign me up for the can't-wait-for-menopause club.)

Old October 16th 03, 09:25 PM
Sophie

Clisby
(sign me up for the can't-wait-for-menopause club.)

Heck I'm hoping for a hysterectomy (but I'm keeping my ovaries) after #4.
If I'm done having kids, what do I want my period for anymore? Yick.

Old October 16th 03, 09:49 PM
Herself

Wendy wrote:

Sophie wrote:

I'm not being sarcastic/mean/weird but what's there to celebrate about
*that*?

I recall being nearly 14 - a 9th grader - and everyone else in the world
(including my little sister) had gotten their period. I felt left behind
in childhood. I've got an 8th grade daughter in the same boat. It's
really a big deal to the kid.

The article from Mothering was nice. I found it online:
http://www.mothering.com/15-0-0/html...menarche.shtml

If you have that good a relationship with your daughter, I think it's
totally worth it. Even if it mortifies her...she'll look back on it
when she's older.
--
'Tis Herself
Old October 16th 03, 10:27 PM
Sue

Hmmm, well I read the article and it's pretty crunchy granola for me. It has
some nice suggestions, but I think I'll pass on a red party.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 16th 03, 10:28 PM
dejablues

This was discussed in one of these groups a few months back. Very
interesting thread, as I recall.

"Wendy" wrote in message
Is there some nice thing that mothers do with their daughters when they
first start their period? All my mother did was point out the uses of
cold water. Can I do better than this?

Wendy

Old October 16th 03, 10:30 PM
dejablues

It might be a big deal in her mind, but having Mom go all out and celebrate
it would probably weird her out. I would have *died* if my mom did that (she
silently handed me a copy of "Our Bodies , Ourselves"...how's that for a
70's flashback!)

"Wendy" wrote in message
Sophie wrote:

I'm not being sarcastic/mean/weird but what's there to celebrate about
*that*?

I recall being nearly 14 - a 9th grader - and everyone else in the world
(including my little sister) had gotten their period. I felt left behind
in childhood. I've got an 8th grade daughter in the same boat. It's
really a big deal to the kid.

In fact, there aren't many life passages bigger than that one for a
child. I believe in acknowledging people's life passages. (I send
graduation cards, too.)

A mother-daughter shopping trip would sound good to me, for clothes or
whatever little things she might like.

I'm thinking chocolate. :-)

Wendy

Old October 16th 03, 11:00 PM
Circe

"Sophie" wrote in message
Clisby
(sign me up for the can't-wait-for-menopause club.)

Heck I'm hoping for a hysterectomy (but I'm keeping my ovaries) after #4.
If I'm done having kids, what do I want my period for anymore? Yick.

This is one reason I really loved pregnancy and lactational amenorrhea
(though it didn't last nearly long enough with #3): no periods. I suppose
it's one of the better, somewhat rational arguments for having #4. I would
be more than happy to be period-free for another year or two between now and
reaching menopause. As long as I don't get horrible hot flashes or mood
swings, I'll be thrilled to be post-menopausal!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [19mo] mom)

"Together we help the future grow." -- School slogan

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old October 17th 03, 01:51 AM
Wendy

Sophie wrote:
A mother-daughter shopping trip would sound good to me, for clothes or
whatever little things she might like.

I'm thinking chocolate. :-)

Chocolate is always good

Yup. Chocolate is our friend. :-)

I took her to a fine chocolate store and let her pick out a 1/2 pound box
worth. I then let her pick take-out for dinner. She didn't seem to have
a problem with any of that. (A "red party"? Jeesh!)

Wendy
Old October 17th 03, 02:40 AM
dejablues

Me too. Perimenopause (which can start 10 years before menopause!) is no
fun, especially with a fibroid. Doctors take a very cautious approach to
surgery these days. If you can't (like me) or won't (like me) take hormones,
it's a drag. I've taken enough Naprosyn for a small army! I'd love to say
"seeya later, thanks for the memories!" to my parts. LOL.