Time Article - What Teachers Hate about Parents (x-posted)

Old March 1st 05, 05:03 AM
shinypenny

toto wrote:

Can I have your dd in my classes? She sounds like a really
self-motivated student. Good for her.

I hope it continues throughout her life.

I'll make you a deal. You can have her, if you can help teach me math.
:-)

jen

Old March 1st 05, 05:16 AM
shinypenny

Seveigny wrote:
They work for me but I taught my youngest daughter a different

method--mind
maps or webs.
~cate

Please tell.

jen

Old March 1st 05, 05:42 AM
Rosalie B.

dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

In my
case I have a spell checker on my news reader, but it checks at the
end and not while I'm typing. The spell checkers on word processors
drive me crazy.

On most of the word processing programs I've used, you can turn that
feature off, so it doesn't check spelling as you go along. Instead, you
hit a button at the end to tell it to check the spelling.

What WP program are you using?

It depends on what computer I'm on. Yes I know I can turn the feature
off, but I'm not always on my own computer, and I hesitate to change
someone else's program. Sometimes they underline stuff just because
there's an extra space or something, and you don't know whether it's
that or something more important.

WP programs are almost all alike now anyway - not like in the old days
where you had control codes to learn. Now it's all click and drag. I
used to do temp WP work and they'd send me out to all the jobs where
they had non-standard programs because I'd beat the computer into
submission until it did what I wanted or it broke. I once got the
cursor attached to the tab/margin bar. They had to turn the computer
off to undo it.

grandma Rosalie
Old March 1st 05, 06:27 AM
Donna Metler

"dragonlady" wrote in message
In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

If a child is already trying to decode written music, do NOT put them in
Suzuki! Suzuki deemphasizes reading to a greater extent than any other
teaching methodology. While this works for many students, if a child is
really interested in the language of music on paper, this will be
frustrating.

I know several students who started Suzuki at a very young age who have
become quite accomplished musicians. The music reading came later, but
they didn't have problems picking it up when it was time; they played
in their high school orchestras and in small enseble groups, and sight
read quite well.

I figure if people learn language by ear (ie, spoken language) early,
then learn the written language later, why can't music be taught the
same way? My kids grew up singing -- a LOT! -- and listening to music.
Then when they got older, they learned to read music. My younger
daughter, especially, could sight read music (singing) better than I
could by middle school.

Oh, and I agree. This is how I teach, as an Orff-trained teacher. However,
if a child is already enthralled with the language of music, forcing them to
go backwards to the listening stage for months or years is the same as
telling a child "No, you can't read printed books yet, you're too young". A
method which teaches aurally is not the best choice for these children.

This is also why Suzuki usually isn't chosen as a method for children beyond
the age of 9-10, because by that age, music reading along with learning the
instrument is the way to go unless there is some reason why the child has
difficulty reading music. (If a child is severely dyslexic, for example).

(I am not a music teacher, or even a particularly accomplished musician
-- I sing, play the guitar badly, and can plunk out a tune on the piano.
This is just what makes logical sense to me.)

Old March 1st 05, 07:42 AM
Chookie

In article BNLTd.81716$Yu.65704@fed1read01, "Circe"
wrote:

That said, reading was a *major* chore for my second grader because his
teacher required that whatever he read for "homework" be read aloud to an
adult or older child. This made it *work* for him, and he started resisting
reading at all. I decided that, in view of the fact that the read-aloud
requirement was making him *hate* reading, it was counter-productive, and
now we just let him read to himself. It's obvious when you converse with him
about what he's read that he understands it, so I don't feel the "aloud"
portion is necessary to ensure his comprehension or improve his fluency.

Reading aloud is a different skill to reading privately: the important thing
is to read to an *audience*, in such a way that the audience understands the
story and enjoys the experience. Surely I cannot be the only person who
suffered through my peers' reading-aloud in class like this:

The cat sat on the. Mat he was big and. Fluffy.

And that was in *high* school!! I would be checking what it is that your
son's teacher wants him to learn from this.

Interestingly, my DS, aged 3, was already developing a story-telling voice!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old March 1st 05, 07:43 AM
sf

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Bob LeChevalier wrote:

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

But the focus in middle school DID seem (at the time) to be more on
teaching kids to manage time and their own study skills. They were
issued daily planners which they expected to maintain themselves.

Ha! Mine were issued planners in 2nd grade :-/

Time management is a valid skill to teach middle schoolers. My DD was
one of those loveable yet incompetent elementary students who suddenly
became GATE in 5th - much to my amazement. However, the paper
designation didn't automatically change her.

By that time, I had decided my district still wasn't offering the kind
of (higher)public education my children would be able to benefit from,
so I bit the bullet and put her into a pricy private school. It was
the BEST decision I've ever made! They held her accountable and I
think class size made a difference. She didn't get away with being
little Miss helpful and sweet the way she did in elementary. They
taught her how to keep a daily planner and also taught her how to go to
teachers when she didn't understand or thought she needed a greater
depth of understanding. That skill helped her through high school and
college... and the work ethic that accompanies it has benifited her a
lot. Bonuses are a wonderful thing - especially when you're 25. LOL!

sf
posting from google due to computer problems)

Old March 1st 05, 09:08 AM

Banty wrote:
In article , toto says...

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:25:22 +0000, Penny Gaines
wrote:

Banty wrote:

4 x 8 .... ? I dunno... I think it's somewhere between 28 to 36.

No,
it's not 36 because that's 6 x 6 and I know that one. Okay lemme

see: 8
+ 8 = 16. 16 + 16 is, um, (6+6 is 12, air fingers to carry the 1

1+1+1= 3...). Got it!

I break it down to 2x8x2 = 16x2 = 32. Always have.

4 x 8 = 32 - I know that one. It is when it comes to things like

8 x 7 = (7**2) + 7 = 49 + 7 = 56

You mean (7*7) + 7 don't you?

That's the Fortran (and probably other languages) way of expressing
"7 to the second power", which would be "7 squared".

You could also do (8*8) - 8 = 64 - 8 = 56. of course.

There are many ways to do this if you don't have some of the
facts memorized.

You could also do (10 - 2)* 7 = (10*7) - (2*7) = 70 - 14 = 56,
for example since the 10's and doubles are often the easiest
ones to remember.

Oh, but if you're on a time trial with math facts, all this

cleverness doesn't
help as much as having the facts down cold. And having the facts

down cold in
life gets you...... gets you...... Help me out here, Dorothy

Banty

It gets you higher scores in tests that allow you to do things that
result in taking more tests where you can get higher scores...I think
this has some logical conclusion, I'm just not sure what it is.

Rupa