Midwives in Charlottesville, VA?

Old October 29th 04, 12:39 AM
Vijay

Default Midwives in Charlottesville, VA?

Hi.

I've called 4 midwives, and they all sound so nice on the phone I
can't decide! Does anyone have any good or bad experiences that would
help me make up my mind?

I've emailed the only DONA certified doula in my area to see if she
has a preference but it's been 24 hours and no response yet. I want to
get rolling with my first visit so I can figure out how pregnant I am
and make sure everything's okay.

If I don't get any negative reviews from you all or the doula I guess
I'll just pick one out of a hat. I imagine midwives as a general rule
are super nice and competent and whatnot, but I had one in the middle
of my labor with DD who was very mean, or seemed that way at the time.
I was a little out of it, lol.

Luckily the very nice one I started out with came back from the
induced hospital birth she was attending and took over again from the
mean lady.

Thanks in advance,

-Vijay
Old October 29th 04, 01:18 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Vijay wrote:

Hi.

I've called 4 midwives, and they all sound so nice on the phone I
can't decide! Does anyone have any good or bad experiences that would
help me make up my mind?

I've emailed the only DONA certified doula in my area to see if she
has a preference but it's been 24 hours and no response yet. I want to
get rolling with my first visit so I can figure out how pregnant I am
and make sure everything's okay.

If I don't get any negative reviews from you all or the doula I guess
I'll just pick one out of a hat. I imagine midwives as a general rule
are super nice and competent and whatnot, but I had one in the middle
of my labor with DD who was very mean, or seemed that way at the time.
I was a little out of it, lol.

Don't just pick one out of a hat. You've got some time.
Interview them. Just call and ask for a consult (should be free).
Have a list of questions. Promise yourself that you won't decide
until you've talked to each of them in person. They may well all
be nice and all be qualified, but if you actually meet all of them
you'll probably find that someone stands out as a particularly good
match for you. Give yourself the gift of the opportunity to find
that out early. Interviewing isn't perfect, but it beats drawing
names out of a hat ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka